Origins

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018
Forum Posts: 1216

Poetry Contest

Origin of a word
Recently upon watching a movie on apocalypse and zombies I became curious on the origin of the word 'Zombie' and my discovery of the word, the term and the history of it, left me in disbelief and in shock.  
The glorification of Hollywood, movies and books cashing in on its brutality in humanity.

Find a word and its origin.  
Write a poem or prose on its evolvement, meaning and history.
Any length but please keep it reasonable.

1 entry.
2 weeks.
Poem or prose.
Title your work.

snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 1873

Quid Pro Quo, Ho

I went to the apothecary, because I contracted something quite scary, from a Venetian girl named Mary. I thought she was innocent like Romeo's Juliet. 💞
Hell No!😠 Instead, the witch gave a dose of panty crickets. 🦗  I asked him if had a cure for the itch I had down there?😳 In my jungle of tight curly hair.

He said, "I did have something, but there's nothing left of that something, so how about I give you something else in exchange instead?  For the same price as an elixir, I'll set you up with a shaving mug and a straight razor.  Just shave your bottom clean and smooth and those panty crickets will have nothing to hang on to."

Desperate I took the substitute, but I realized that self exfoliation with a straight razor could lead to accidental castration.  Just one slip of that straight razor and I'd loose my job as a male stripper.🕺 So, I went back to see Mary to make an offer that would be mutually beneficiary.  "If you shave me, I'll shave you.  Quid pro quo, we'll rid each other's creepy crawlers down below.  How about it, my pretty little ho? "🤷‍♂️

She said, "sounds good to me, let's shave each other's animals clean."💇‍♀️

So, I did something for Mary, in exchange, she did something for me.  Consequently, we're as happy as can be. 💑  We eventually hitched and had three babies.👼👼👶  Their names are Quid the Kid, Pro the Bro and Quo the Ho.  If you do something for them, in exchange, they'll do something of equal value for you and since the time of apothecary this will always be true.👌

Author's Notes; the above poetic prose was inspired by the most searched word of 2019; quid pro quo.  

Meant to be an educational poem, my work uses words and imagery that are slightly disturbing and shocking.  By utilizing this technique, after just a single read, the meaning of quid pro quo will be deeply embedded in the mind of the reader forever.

"The Latin phrase quid pro quo originally implied that something had been substituted, as in this instead of that. Early usage by English speakers followed the original Latin meaning, with occurrences in the 1530s where the term referred to either intentionally or unintentionally substituting one medicine for another. This may also have extended to a fraudulent substitution of useful medicines for an ingenuine article. By the end of the same century, quid pro quo evolved into a more current use to describe equivalent exchanges
."

Written by snugglebuck
Go To Page  

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

Thanks for starting off the comp Mister Snugglebuck, I didn't know it was the most searched phrase of 2019, very intereting and I like your take on it :)

buddydog
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 5th May 2015
Forum Posts: 93

Freedom

To be free from or free to do
The power of self-determination
A state or condition of free will
Is it emancipation or deliverance
Or just a point of someone’s view

The act of a bird leaving a cage
Something that lives across a land
Is it a written declaration
An excuse for independence
Or a job that pays minimum wage

I don’t know but the free in freedom I find
Comes from frei the meaning to love
A condition in which we must share
To everyone, a friend or foe
With open arms and an open mind

Written by buddydog
Go To Page  

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

Thanks for entering the comp, Buddy :)

wallyroo92
Tyrant of Words
United States 148awards
Joined 11th July 2012
Forum Posts: 1810

New Age Guerrilla

When the powers that be rule the land,
And their armies sweep countries by force,
The few,  
The proud,  
The strong-willed fight back,
Insurgents
Will battle to the ends of the earth,  
And go to their deaths for the cause.

It’s been around for thousands of years,
As those who resist,
Vow to oppose and defend their beliefs,
They use tactics uncommon of war,
Bringing chaos and bedlam
To armies of far greater numbers,
But more importantly
They have a fundamental motif.

Guerrilla warfare,
As savage as it may be,
It carries a message,
An ideology,
It’s a creed that cannot be killed,
It wins the support of the people,
And that’s something that can’t be beat.

See the message on the wall,
Read the stories that go untold,
And you too will believe in something greater,
Because when those in power try to silence the masses,
The new age guerrillas will rise,
They will come from the shadows,
From the Underground,
And like ghosts, they will disappear,
Lurking somewhere near,
Ready to fight.
Written by wallyroo92
Go To Page  

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

Thank you Wally :)

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1754

Post Removed

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

Cheers everyone and thank you for entering the comp and your different takes on the subject.  

Congratulations to Wally!

snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 1873

Layla, even though I can't forgive you for breaking Eric's heart, I want to thank you for sponsoring such a fun and educational competition.  I hope you'll do this again.

Congrats to 'William of Roo.'

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

Mister Buck I'm so glad you enjoyed writing for this comp and your sense of humor gave it a great twist which I enjoyed tremendously.

After closing this comp I saw 2 prolific writes which were written for this comp but not submitted and I'd like to post their links here because they are well thought out wealth of information on Origins of some words.  I hope People will take the time to follow the links and give them their worthy attention.

By~~ Uma and Josh

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

The Story of the Word "Alpha"

The word Alpha was probably introduced when Britannia was part of the Roman Empire (43-410 AD). Latin native speakers came over from the continent and added their words to the mix of Anglo-Saxon and Celtic languages.      

Alpha was the first letter of the Latin alphabet. The Romans took it from the Greeks, who must have learned it from the Phoenicians (Greek name for Canaanites) while trading with them across the Mediterranean (Phoenicia/Canaan is roughly current-day Lebanon).      

The Canaanites are credited with the invention of the ancestor of our current writing system about 3,000 years ago. They didn’t ‘create the alphabet from nothing’ but probably developed it from Egyptian hieroglyphics which are at least 5000 years old.      

The Canaanites used names for their letters which are still used in Semitic languages like Arabic and Hebrew. The first letter in this ancient alphabet was called ‘aleph’ and meant ‘ox’. The second letter was ‘bayt’ and meant ‘house’.      

When the Greeks adopted the Canaanite alphabet they changed the letters ‘aleph’ and ‘bayt’ to ‘alpha’ and ‘beta’ because they found them easier to pronounce; hence also the word ‘alphabet’.      

In the 19th and 20th centuries, it became trendy to use alpha in various scientific disciplines. Around 1900 it was used by physicists who separated radiation into three types of waves, naming them alpha, beta, and gamma, the first three letters of the Greek alphabet.      

In 1924 a German psychiatrist (Hans Berger) invented the EEG, a method for recording ‘brain waves’.  He called them after the first five letters of the Greek alphabet, adding delta and theta.      

In 1947 the Swiss animal behaviourist Rudolf Schenkel published a study on the behaviour of wolves. Schenkel had observed wolves in the Zoo of Zurich, and from his observations he developed the ‘dominance theory’. In that study Schenkel mentions the words ‘α-animals’, ‘α-bitch’, and ‘α-position’ a few times. Nowhere does he use the actual word ‘alpha’. He could have used the number ‘1’ instead of the Greek letter ‘α’ .      

By 1960, the ‘dominance theory’ became very popular, and the words ‘alpha-male’ and ‘alpha-female’ were used in scientific language, mainly in studies of primates.      

In 1970 David Mech, an American wolf expert, published The Wolf: Ecology and Behavior of an Endangered Species. The book promoted the concept of ‘alpha-animals’ in wolf packs. This book spread the word ‘alpha’ in the sense of social status among animals into general language.    

By this time of course, Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution and concepts of natural selection (first published in 1859) was well established in the Western Cultural Mind. It served as a solid foundation for the dominance theory to take off because it encouraged people to draw conclusions from animal behaviour to human behaviour. In the 1990s ‘alpha-words’ were applied to humans as well.      

Fast forward to 2020, and we can now find hundreds of websites offering ‘alpha-training’ online — not just for dog owners but for humans themselves. Men and women are encouraged to ‘become an alpha-male/female’, to ‘dress like an alpha-male/female’, and  to develop ‘alpha-characteristics’. In the same vein, women and men are told to look out for ‘signs you’re dating an alpha-male/female’. Nobody wants to date a ‘beta-person’, apparently, if they can have an ‘alpha’.      

BUT, in the meantime David Mech, the wolf expert, and his fellow scientists had done more research and found that the concept of the ‘alpha wolf’ is outdated. It was all a mistake! On his website he writes, “Most wolves who lead packs achieved their position simply by mating and producing pups, which then became their pack. In other words they are merely breeders, or parents, and that’s all we call them today, the ‘breeding male’, ‘breeding female’, or ‘male parent’, ‘female parent’.”    

In the second decade of the 21st century, there is no scientific evidence to support that ‘alpha-behaviour’ exists among animals. Psychologists, animal experts, and journalists tell us that the whole ‘alpha-dominance-story’ is a myth and issue warnings that it may be harmful and destructive.    

But ignoring the corrective science, the conceptual appeal of being an alpha-person has boomed. Sports, film, and pop culture is studded with ‘alpha-celebrities’, both male and female. Politicians defend sexist speech and actions of colleagues as ‘alpha male boasting’. Being an ‘alpha-male’ is used as an excuse for abusive and bullish behaviour. Which brings us back to the original meaning of the word ‘aleph’, or ‘ox’…    

The ancient Canaanites and Semites probably didn’t use the word ‘ox’ in the sense of a ‘castrated bull,’ like today. In many Mediterranean regions, bulls (ancestors of domestic cattle) were worshipped for their strength and potency. Now extinct, they roamed wild and were rarely tamed. But why did the Canaanite language, followed by Arabic, Hebrew, Greek & Latin use this ox as a symbol for the first letter of their alphabet?    

We know that the bull, in this case a synonym of ox, was worshipped by the Ancient Greeks and Egyptians. It symbolised the Earth and also the taming of the masculine and animal nature.      

The Canaanites and other Semites worshipped the goddess Astarte. As a sign of her sovereignty she wears the horns of a bull. Europa, the Phoenician princess after whom Europe is named, can be seen on Greek paintings riding a white bull. The story behind it is the god Zeus turned himself into a bull to abduct and seduce the beautiful princess.    

In Egyptian mythology the bull was an avatar of Ra, the god of the sun. Every night after sunset, the sun god disappeared in the belly of the earth goddess Nut, who gave birth to him again the following morning.      

The Egyptian creation story offers perhaps the best explanation how the letter aleph, as the glyph of an ox head, became alpha as a representation of new beginnings — a timely thought at the beginning of 2020.
Written by Josh (Joshua Bond)
Go To Page  

By Josh ~~

wallyroo92
Tyrant of Words
United States 148awards
Joined 11th July 2012
Forum Posts: 1810

I'm surprised and honored by this. Thank you Layla for hosting such an awesome and interesting comp with so many great entries.
Thank you.

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

Pleasure was all mine Wally!

Go to page:
Go to: