How should max allowed reading list entries be calculated?

57.14% • 12 votes • Stick with current system. A secret algorithm, with the benefit that no one can game the system.
42.86% • 9 votes • Change to new system. Simplify how entries are earned, see what contributes to getting more slots and track your progress.
Total votes: 21
Only members can vote. Not a member? Sign Up Now

Go to page:

How should max allowed reading list entries be calculated?

admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards

This poll relates to how many reading list entries you're allowed to add.

Reading list entries are restricted to give them meaning, above a like (likes are unlimited). This makes it special when someone adds one of your submissions to their reading list.

Many people have added a lot less reading list entries then their maximum allowance. I am not suggesting that we set out to increase the maximum. However, if a new system is implemented it will change how many each member is allowed. I will try to keep it as a similar amount to what we have now, though any changes will definitely mean that some people will get more slots and some people will get less.

Note: the outcome of this poll does not change in any way the reading list entries that your submissions have received. Neither will anyone have entries removed from their list if changes are made which put them above their maximum.

Poll closes in 1 week (around 17th July, allowing for time differences)

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14668

I can't vote for either because there is no middle ground.  Why can't the current system be built upon? Why must it be totally changed into something that will allow members to "game the system"?  

I realize we're just discussing RLs; however, this could also apply to titles as well.

Not that you're AllPoetry ( nor do I want you to be ), but I do admire Kevin's system of advancement:

Congrats! You're a level 8 "aventurine thought"
With 4 x gold trophy, 8 x any trophy, 3 x start a contest, 15 x enter a contest, 493 x comments, 333 x rated comments, 89 x poems, 38 x favorites, 94 x fans, 462 x edit an item, 846 x visits to the site, 64 x comments on new users, 6 x join a group

To reach level 9, you need 1 x any trophy

It clearly shows you what to work for, and what you need to obtain the next level.  There is nothing wrong with knowing what you need to do to advance - and it shouldn't be at the expense of anyone gaming the system.  Some members love challenges. You have three Reading Challenges for that purpose.

I believe members will vote to track their own progress in order to feel challenged and more in control of advancing.  However, it would be a shame if it was at the expense of some gaming the system.

I'm not attempting to be divisive; I'm attempting to be honest.  So there are my concerns and the reason I cannot vote for either. But, realize it is to benefit a solution - which I am trying to be a part of here.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

I got my 5 votes in.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

JohnnyBlaze said:I got my 5 votes in.

OMG! I just choked on tea! LOL! I needed that laugh. Thanks!

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:

OMG! I just choked on tea! LOL! I needed that laugh. Thanks!

XO

admin
DU Webmistress
1awards

Ahavati said:Why can't the current system be built upon?

This is because the current system is a complex algorithm with many variables considered. I want to make the site more user friendly, not less user friendly. Trying to represent the current algorithm would require a multitude of progress bars and I don't believe that would be conducive with that goal.

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

So it's either a cold algorithm laid bare
For all to maximize and fine tune themselves to making sure the boxes are checked and all bases covered
All for an illusion

Or at least it maintains some mystery
And hint of divinity graced upon ye, a knight hood, good sir, one who in the end, truly merits his title.

Woe, thee,  who trades his poetic soul
For the inner secrets of the rubrik

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

I changed my mind, logged into my other 5 secret accounts and voted for the opposite.

admin
DU Webmistress
1awards

I'll expand on my earlier point, to give some insight into how I see the Reading List feature. I would foresee the simplified algorithm to consider only two or three variables (rather than the six or so of the current system). The current algorithm has become somewhat of a beast as I've added to it over the years.

I would choose the most relevant information to base the new system on; this could be likes given, and comments made (on other peoples' submissions). The Reading List was conceived to house your favourite poems on DU.  Therefore the amount you get is designed to be based on the quantity of poems you're reading and engaging with. Therefore I believe it makes sense that every x number of poems you like, one would be special enough to go on your Reading List.

I understand that some people mainly read submissions by poets they follow, so there may be a higher percentage of poems they really like. However, nudging people to expand their reading may be no bad thing?!

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

admin said:

This is because the current system is a complex algorithm with many variables considered. I want to make the site more user friendly, not less user friendly. Trying to represent the current algorithm would require a multitude of progress bars and I don't believe that would be conducive with that goal.

I'm American, so it just dawned on me that our terminology may differ. Here in America "Game the System" basically implies cheating.  Is that the context here?

admin said:I'll expand on my earlier point, to give some insight into how I see the Reading List feature. I would foresee the simplified algorithm to consider only two or three variables (rather than the six or so of the current system). The current algorithm has become somewhat of a beast as I've added to it over the years.

I would choose the most relevant information to base the new system on; this could be likes given, and comments made (on other peoples' submissions). The Reading List was conceived to house your favourite poems on DU.  Therefore the amount you get is designed to be based on the quantity of poems you're reading and engaging with. Therefore I believe it makes sense that every x number of poems you like, one would be special enough to go on your Reading List.

I understand that some people mainly read submissions by poets they follow, so there may be a higher percentage of poems they really like. However, nudging people to expand their reading may be no bad thing?!

I think the entire site would want what is best or easiest for you.  Sure, I love challenges, e.g. - reading, napo, competitions, you name it.  So do others, but I would not think at your expense of having to manage a beast  you've raised from infancy which has become unmanageable in terms of caring for, and should now be released into the wild.    

So, am I understanding it would be easier for you to develop a newer one vs keeping the current one?   That's almost what it sounds like in your latest explanation.  Perhaps each member could have X number of challenges, e.g. - likes. comments, rl's, comp votes, etc. to get to the next level.

As far as reading lists, so as in love in literature: the heart wants what it wants. . .

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 5134

Here we go.

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017
Forum Posts: 5315

Jade-Pandora said:Here we go.
Jadey... Does gerrymandering ring a bell?
😉

In Oz, we call that rorting!

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015

cold_fusion said:
😉

To achieve (a result) by manipulating the boundaries of an electoral constituency.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Jade-Pandora said:Here we go.

Thanks Jade.  But, as I previously said, I know what it means in American lingo; however, I wanted to make certain it was the correct context here, and wasn't a reference to gaming as in playing to reach new levels, i.e. - video games etc.  

cold_fusion said:
😉

You just had to bring American politics into it, didn't you?

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015

I did see your comment, Sage, but I posted it for every & anyone cause I had never seen or heard of the term before, so since I had Googled it I thought it was worth sharing. Yaaay, me!🐯✌️

Go to page:
Go to: