How should max allowed reading list entries be calculated?

57.14% • 12 votes • Stick with current system. A secret algorithm, with the benefit that no one can game the system.
42.86% • 9 votes • Change to new system. Simplify how entries are earned, see what contributes to getting more slots and track your progress.
Total votes: 21
Only members can vote. Not a member? Sign Up Now

Go to page:

How should max allowed reading list entries be calculated?

poet Anonymous

Gaming.

Skagging.
Fiddling.
Fixing.
Weaselling.
Cheating.
Whipping.
Undercutting.
Backhanding.
Mullering.
Foxing.
Being a Bob Cryer.

(Just translating English slang for our overseas friends.... as you were. 😎)

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14554

Thanks TPCP. Surely there has to be a better way to create something user-friendly all the way around without compromising integrity.  But I know NOTHING of programming. HTML is evil ( no offense to new member Pure_405_Evil ).  I could be suggesting colonization on Mars and not realize it.

admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards

I definitely meant gaming in a softer context then cheating.  People wouldn't be cheating, but they might be changing their natural behaviour once they're armed with the knowledge of how things work. Perhaps I'll take the suggestion weaselling as a better word, because it sounds less malicious

To address your earlier point, changing to a simpler system would require work, but we would have a simpler system at the end of it. Keeping the current system requires no work. Either way, I'm happy to let the people decide.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

After suddenly earning a whopping 16 RLs today after months of struggling to earn a dozen, I reverse engineered what I did to discover what is undoubtedly the current secret algorithm.

Thusly, this poll is rendered pointless.

If you would like the secret private messaged to you, please send $20 Paypal to --- email address removed ---

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2285

JohnnyBlaze said:After suddenly earning a whopping 16 RLs today after months of struggling to earn a dozen, I reverse engineered what I did to discover what is undoubtedly the current secret algorithm.

Thusly, this poll is rendered pointless.

If you would like the secret private messaged to you, please send $20 Paypal to --- email address removed ---

I now have 25 RL slots and would still be willing to trade some for Food  

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Tallen said:

I now have 25 RL slots and would still be willing to trade some for Food  

I would be willing to trade you a Grand Slam breakfast at Dennys for a handful of votes from any multiple profiles you can spare.

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018

JohnnyBlaze said:

I would be willing to trade you a Grand Slam breakfast at Dennys for a handful of votes from any multiple profiles you can spare.

I have an "Old Persons' 10% discount card for Denny's  

I don't have time for multiple profiles, what with my chess addiction and running an Awakening Group on FB and so i have only one vote to give.

Can i still get that Grand Slam?

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Tallen said:

I have an "Old Persons' 10% discount card for Denny's  

I don't have time for multiple profiles, what with my chess addiction and running an Awakening Group on FB and so i have only one vote to give.

Can i still get that Grand Slam?

When it came to chess, I was under the impression you were always playing with yourself.

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018

JohnnyBlaze said:

When it came to chess, I was under the impression you were always playing with yourself.

I used to before i bought my own laptop  

(actually, i was playing one of my hallucinations but since i am the only one who can see her i guess to the outside world i am playing with myself, eh?)

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

admin said:I definitely meant gaming in a softer context then cheating.  People wouldn't be cheating, but they might be changing their natural behaviour once they're armed with the knowledge of how things work. Perhaps I'll take the suggestion weaselling as a better word, because it sounds less malicious

To address your earlier point, changing to a simpler system would require work, but we would have a simpler system at the end of it. Keeping the current system requires no work. Either way, I'm happy to let the people decide.

It's your local pain-in-the-ass again - after much deliberation,  because members wouldn't be gaming the system in terms of weaseling or cheating, imho,  I've decided to vote for the change.

It's my belief that it is impossible to know the natural behaviour of people unless they have free choice.  Therefore, to assume members here would act contrary to their natural behaviour if given a choice is an inaccurate assumption.  If, when given the choice to begin with, their natural behaviour would've been to opt to utilize the challenge in order to personally advance their writing goals through those challenges.

I hear members all the time say they will never publish because they write for the joy of it. But, that should not be confused with those who do publish not writing for the joy of it, but opting to share that joy with others.  

Keeping members restricted does not determine their natural behaviour, except in regards to being restricted.  Or, in this case, in the dark.

I do appreciate the choice you are offering here, but still feel the question containing the term "gaming" is inaccurate to imply weaseling in this case.  Choosing to utilize a functional challenge doesn't make a person a weasel. If that's the case, then the flip side logic to that would be assuming those against change want others not to have it simply because they don't want it themselves.

God, sounds like the world right now.

Again, regardless of how it ends,  thank you for at least providing the option to choose.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

JohnnyBlaze said:

Darn it ... Paypal must have shut down my fake email address.  

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

JohnnyBlaze said:

Darn it ... Paypal must have shut down my fake email address.  

LOL! Hopefully it won't devastate you to the point you'll lose your sense of humor.

Also, thank you for bringing this topic to light.  It's given us all much to think about.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:

LOL! Hopefully it won't devastate you to the point you'll lose your sense of humor.

Also, thank you for bringing this topic to light.  It's given us all much to think about.

I wiould be devastated if I continued to fall behind on RL'ing your brilliantly constructed poetry all because I wasn't doing a few simple things I was never aware of. ❤📝

And of course I only voted once, People.  

admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards

The poll outcome was as divisive as Brexit and no clear way forward has been found. Thanks to everyone for taking part. For the time being things will stay as they are.

Go to page:
Go to: