Doc

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 41awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1788

"The Forever Prisoner",
an HBO documentary by Alex Gibney examining the continued torture and use of EITs (Enhanced Interrogation Techniques) by the CIA over a 20 year period, focussing on 'patient zero', Abu Zubaydah.
From a Guardian article about the film:
Gibney says: “Abu Zubaydah was patient zero for the CIA’s torture programme. That’s the reason to investigate his story because you learn how the rule of law was upended. How we went down a road where we were more interested in listening to what we wanted to hear, which is what torture tends to give you, rather than what the facts really were.”

iain9
Lost Thinker
Canada
Joined 6th Dec 2021
Forum Posts: 8

Fritz Lang “Scarlet Street” human nature

drone
Tyrant of Words
Greece 10awards
Joined 3rd Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 2257

I am the last survivor of the nuremburg trials
Doc
YouTube

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 117awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14818

Christmas night is a time to let go and relax! The couch, a nice throw, comfort food ( tomato & roasted red pepper soup with a grilled cheese sandwich ), and a good movie. Holy cow to the movie ( though the food was good too ): Don't Look Up. I mean how can you go wrong with DiCaprio and Lawrence ( with some Streep & Blanchett thrown in, and LOL @ Mark Rylance as Peter Isherwell ( pretty certain I know who his 'metaphorical character' portrays, but curious to see if anyone else does ). Now stay with me: Or, should I say. . .stay with IT. The metaphorical nature of this movie in today's times is absolutely CHILLING.  

I don't want to say too much because I don't want to give it away; however, stay with it until the end. It's not the best DiCaprio or Lawrence, and certainly not Streep or Blanchett film - but they do play their roles to a T. And the film, if you actually get it, depicts modern times and the current political climate. But stay with it, because the ending before the ending WILL bring you to tears! And the second ending . . . well . . . you'll see. 🙂

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11286314/

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Ahavati said:Christmas night is a time to let go and relax! The couch, a nice throw, comfort food ( tomato & roasted red pepper soup with a grilled cheese sandwich ), and a good movie. Holy cow to the movie ( though the food was good too ): Don't Look Up. I mean how can you go wrong with DiCaprio and Lawrence ( with some Streep & Blanchett thrown in, and LOL @ Mark Rylance as Peter Isherwell ( pretty certain I know who his 'metaphorical character' portrays, but curious to see if anyone else does ). Now stay with me: Or, should I say. . .stay with IT. The metaphorical nature of this movie in today's times is absolutely CHILLING.  

I don't want to say too much because I don't want to give it away; however, stay with it until the end. It's not the best DiCaprio or Lawrence, and certainly not Streep or Blanchett film - but they do play their roles to a T. And the film, if you actually get it, depicts modern times and the current political climate. But stay with it, because the ending before the ending WILL bring you to tears! And the second ending . . . well . . . you'll see. 🙂

Saving to my watchlist! I am so burnt out on Holiday movies and haven't seen much of anything new since my last recommendation.

drone
Tyrant of Words
Greece 10awards
Joined 3rd Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 2257

Cowspiracy
Neflex

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 117awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14818

JohnnyBlaze said:

Saving to my watchlist! I am so burnt out on Holiday movies and haven't seen much of anything new since my last recommendation.

I think you'll enjoy its sci-fi seriousness offset with humor. The funniest thing is that it would've been a lot funnier if it wasn't so damn true!

Another good one is The Silent Sea on Netflix. It's a sci-fi K-drama series; however, you can watch the English version if you don't want to do subtitles.  It's also been translated in Spanish, French, Dutch, and German. Don't mistake it for the typical K-drama love and romance - it's an excellent thriller with a sweet twist.

It stars Bae Doona ( Sonmi-451 in Cloud Atlas  ) and others that you'd probably only be familiar with if you watch K-dramas.

https://www.imdb.com/video/vi2630468377?playlistId=tt11570202&ref_=vp_rv_ap_0

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Ahavati said:

I think you'll enjoy its sci-fi seriousness offset with humor. The funniest thing is that it would've been a lot funnier if it wasn't so damn true!

Another good one is The Silent Sea on Netflix. It's a sci-fi K-drama series; however, you can watch the English version if you don't want to do subtitles.  It's also been translated in Spanish, French, Dutch, and German. Don't mistake it for the typical K-drama love and romance - it's an excellent thriller with a sweet twist.

It stars Bae Doona ( Sonmi-451 in Cloud Atlas  ) and others that you'd probably only be familiar with if you watch K-dramas.

https://www.imdb.com/video/vi2630468377?playlistId=tt11570202&ref_=vp_rv_ap_0

Yay to sci-fi goodness!

Which reminds me, I need to finish the final season of Lost In Space !

badmalthus
Harry Rout
Dangerous Mind
19awards
Joined 3rd May 2014
Forum Posts: 433

Ahavati said:Christmas night is a time to let go and relax! The couch, a nice throw, comfort food ( tomato & roasted red pepper soup with a grilled cheese sandwich ), and a good movie. Holy cow to the movie ( though the food was good too ): Don't Look Up. I mean how can you go wrong with DiCaprio and Lawrence ( with some Streep & Blanchett thrown in, and LOL @ Mark Rylance as Peter Isherwell ( pretty certain I know who his 'metaphorical character' portrays, but curious to see if anyone else does ). Now stay with me: Or, should I say. . .stay with IT. The metaphorical nature of this movie in today's times is absolutely CHILLING.  

Watched it yesterday...depressingly hilarious.

Go to page:
Go to: