Go to page:

Recommend a Movie/Documentary/Show

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018
Forum Posts: 1216

Recommend a movie, show or documentary that we can watch online which is accessible at the moment on NETFLIX, AMAZONPRIME OR HULU with the option to return to discuss or review.

Since we're all home at the moment it'll be nice to share what's good out there.

poet Anonymous

Definitely Tiger King on Netflix. I’m still wondering what the hell I watched even now 👀

Certainly opened up a lot of discussion on animal welfare in the States.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14145

Layla said:Recommend a movie, show or documentary that we can watch online which is accessible at the moment on NETFLIX, AMAZONPRIME OR HULU with the option to return to discuss or review.

Since we're all home at the moment it'll be nice to share what's good out there.

You have time to watch TV right now?!

calamitygin
Jennifer Michael McCurry
Tyrant of Words
United States 28awards
Joined 22nd June 2015
Forum Posts: 2047

If you haven't ever watched Grey Gardens. Do so now. It's a 1975 doc available on Amazon Prime about the mother and daughter Beales. They were family of Jackie O, and it's just tragic and beautiful and so good.
They made a movie about the doc with Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange. I suggest the doc first.

Annnnd.....Dont #### with Cats
It's a social commentary about a online hunt for a man posting horrific abuse of kittens (there is no actual footage of animals dying though it is somewhat extreme) that turns out to be a .... well watch the doc. Available on Netflix.

And, it's very sad, but the trials of Gabriel Hernandez is seriously gripping.
Netflix I believe.

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

Miss_Sub said:Definitely Tiger King on Netflix. I’m still wondering what the hell I watched even now 👀

Certainly opened up a lot of discussion on animal welfare in the States.

Yes its the new popular show on netflix that's all over social media discussions.  I watched the first episode and honestly i was conflicted because what he did and what the woman did weren't all that different as far as keeping animals in cages, they both charged money for people to see them sort of advertising themselves just a tad differently.  But i do need to watch the rest of it to have a better perspective, obviously.

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

Ahavati said:

You have time to watch TV right now?!

Lol, this week its been challenging but for the most part of the month i did watch fair amount of shows and movies across the board.

calamitygin
Jennifer Michael McCurry
Tyrant of Words
United States 28awards
Joined 22nd June 2015

And OMG
Fleabag on Amazon Prime.
Golden globe winner. Quirky, funny, sexy, sooo charming. golden globe winning.

And on PBS
Top 5 on my list a series with many seasons, so beautiful. Well written, endearing, funny. Soothing. Always leaves me smiling.

The Durrels in Corfu
This was based off the book
My family and other animals
It's about a quirky family that moves from england to Corfu to recover from the death of their father and husband.
It's a true account, the book an autobiography.
For the women out there, the mother in it is such a unique and refreshing matriarch

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

calamitygin said:If you haven't ever watched Grey Gardens. Do so now. It's a 1975 doc available on Amazon Prime about the mother and daughter Beales. They were family of Jackie O, and it's just tragic and beautiful and so good.
They made a movie about the doc with Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange. I suggest the doc first.

Annnnd.....Dont #### with Cats
It's a social commentary about a online hunt for a man posting horrific abuse of kittens (there is no actual footage of animals dying though it is somewhat extreme) that turns out to be a .... well watch the doc. Available on Netflix.

And, it's very sad, but the trials of Gabriel Hernandez is seriously gripping.
Netflix I believe.

The cat doc clip turned my stomach cause i can't bear to watch any kind of abuse but i'm sure it was hair raising and shocking.

The Jackie O, i saw it on amazon and kept thinking it'll be good to watch but now with your suggestion, i will.

The Gabriel Hernandez i think even Souladaretease suggested to me so it must be really good.  Thanks CG :)

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

I was able to catch on amazonprime for free, Once upon a time in Hollywood by Tarantino, it was so good but now i think you have to pay for it.

But i started watching on amazon last night (before i dozed off) Bohemian Rhapsody, it was really good, i just have to finish watching the last half hour of it.

On netflix, Molly's game, was terrific, i truly enjoyed the story and the character, apparently its based on a true story which i don't remember back then as it happened.  But glad they made a movie because its a movie about a woman who wouldn't let anything stop her.
Also on netflix, Unorthodox was amazing story (docseries) of a culture and a woman going against the grain to survive in the outside world.  

calamitygin
Jennifer Michael McCurry
Tyrant of Words
United States 28awards
Joined 22nd June 2015

Right on. I saw Unorthadox available. I think I'll try it.

calamitygin
Jennifer Michael McCurry
Tyrant of Words
United States 28awards
Joined 22nd June 2015

The Durrels in Corfu is actually BBC i think

And if you have a library card in the right town or university there is a channel available called Kanopy
They have brilliant educational docs. It's a terrific channel. Free
I recently watched a doc there about the Chauvet caves in france, cave of dreams I think?
It was unbelievably inspiring.

calamitygin
Jennifer Michael McCurry
Tyrant of Words
United States 28awards
Joined 22nd June 2015

Once apon a time in Hollywood was great

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

Wonderful suggestions.  
This is why i wanted to create this thread to keep things noted in case we want to watch something that gets pushed back in any of those sites, that goes unnoticed from the highlighted ones that they recommend.

calamitygin
Jennifer Michael McCurry
Tyrant of Words
United States 28awards
Joined 22nd June 2015

Yes. Fantastic idea. Thank you layla

poet Anonymous

Fleabag is a great shout.
Contemporary UK series:
Killing Eve
Peaky Binders