Go to page:

Recommend a Movie/Documentary/Show

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14647

Being October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month ( here in the US, anyway ) I highly recommend MAID: Hard Work, Low Pay and a Mother’s Will to Survive written by Stephanie Land. Like Alex, Land struggled to make ends meet for her young child after fleeing an emotionally abusive home. She eventually became a maid before working her way to Montana’s Creative Writing program.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81166770

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

If you are looking for something Halloweenie, but don't want to sit through a bunch of horror movies, then the next best thing is . . . 40 minute documentaries on the making of horror movies.

The Movies That Made Us Season 3 on Netflix

Halloween , Friday the 13th, & A Nightmare On Elm Street

poet Anonymous

JohnnyBlaze said:If you are looking for something Halloweenie, but don't want to sit through a bunch of horror movies, then the next best thing is . . . 40 minute documentaries on the making of horror movies.

The Movies That Made Us Season 3 on Netflix

Halloween , Friday the 13th, & A Nightmare On Elm Street

Actually that's a great series, I think its called 'Movies which made us"  a fantastic look at all the drama that went on behind the scenes.  Halloween and Aliens were my favorite from this season.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14647

Ha! My late-night falling asleep fetish, Korean Dramas, has it's own category now! That's right! K-Dramas has it's own category in Netflix! Many of them are translating into English now so you don't have to watch subtitles ( though I have to wonder if the voices accurately reflect the actor/esses ).  ALSO, I have to say, the rest of the world could take a lesson in freaking commercials from the South Koreans. I mean, seriously, instead of interrupting the shows, they blend the advertisements INTO the show. Coffee. Makeup. Hair products. Clothing. Jewelry. Restaurants ( Koreans LOVE Subway & fried chicken! ). Even services like gas companies, etc!! Seemlessly integrating commercials into the programming is the way to go in the future. I mean, it's noticeable, but not. Talk about more realistic than "We'll be right back after a word from our sponsors."

Catch on, Cruel World! Catch on!

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:Ha! My late-night falling asleep fetish, Korean Dramas, has it's own category now! That's right! K-Dramas has it's own category in Netflix! Many of them are translating into English now so you don't have to watch subtitles ( though I have to wonder if the voices accurately reflect the actor/esses ).  ALSO, I have to say, the rest of the world could take a lesson in freaking commercials from the South Koreans. I mean, seriously, instead of interrupting the shows, they blend the advertisements INTO the show. Coffee. Makeup. Hair products. Clothing. Jewelry. Restaurants ( Koreans LOVE Subway & fried chicken! ). Even services like gas companies, etc!! Seemlessly integrating commercials into the programming is the way to go in the future. I mean, it's noticeable, but not. Talk about more realistic than "We'll be right back after a word from our sponsors."

Catch on, Cruel World! Catch on!

I noticed that TUBI has its own K-Drama category as well.

If you can stand the commercials that is, which I don't really mind when watching a free show or movie. However, streaming services need to stop interrupting with the same commercials over and over. Uggh.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Incident In A Ghostland on NETFLIX

Quite possibly the most fucked up horror movie I've watched in a long time. And a hundred times better than anything by Rob Zombie. I was expecting something else more along the lines of a ghostly haunting type story, but that's because the title and preview suckered me in big time LOL Not for the faint hearted or anyone with a fear of dolls.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

La Belle Noiseuse on TUBI

A 1991 film about a French painter trying to rebound from a 10 year dry spell, but still obsessed with completing the "masterpiece" his wife posed for that remains unfinished.

In French with subtitles.

Oh, and it's about 4 hours long.

But you won't even notice - the time will fly by!  

ursa
Thought Provoker
Canada 2awards
Joined 24th Apr 2021
Forum Posts: 35

Loved the Alpinist on Prime; documentary. beautiful scenes, incredible, inspiring.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Red Notice on NETFLIX

Because you can rarely go wrong with Ryan Reynolds playing a smartass - he's perfected his craft over the last 25 years.

Casted_Runes
Mr Karswell
Fire of Insight
England 5awards
Joined 4th Oct 2021
Forum Posts: 402

Finch on AppleTV. Very derivative sci-fi fable about an old man and his dog (and their robot) in the post-apocalypse, but elevated by Tom Hanks. It’s a movie that works because of its casting and modest scale. I liked that all the Hanks character wanted was something to look after his beloved pooch. It’s a movie that should feel cynical, and it’s certainly manipulative, but it works.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Hypnotic on NETFLIX

A bit of a nail biter.

And one less reason to trust psychiatrists.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Don't say you weren't warned, but this thriller may exasperate you with its method of storytelling. I have mixed feelings about it, as well as other aspects of the film.

Fever Dream on NETFLIX

Go to page:
Go to: