Poems

poet Anonymous

modifying comment, erasing

Umm
Dangerous Mind
1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 2392

Of course it's offensive but who cares. I mean.. im not sure what the site's policy on such matters is but I don't see why people shouldn't be able to express themselves no matter how ideologically gruesome their poetry is, because it's poetry and poetry is art and the debate about what is off limits to art is complex and ever changing.

mysteriouslady
Tyrant of Words
United States 15awards
Joined 11th Aug 2012
Forum Posts: 2471

Cloven_Zonkle said:What is the position of the moderators on content here which is blatantly homophobic, racist or mysogynistic? I came across a poem on here written in welsh. The appended authors comment , translated is as follows:

...by no stretch of the imagination – my own or that of any other conscionable person – is this poem in any way intended for any of the following loathsome and deviant persons: those smitten by Dykeism or Queerism whether of the open sort or the closet variety and regardless of whatever powerful position(s) they hold socially or professionally...
And so to this latter and utterly despised by me inured sewer scum I unapologetically say to all of you in relation to this poem – piss off and don’t even look at it far less so take to reading it. For it’s not meant for gutter rats like you that despairingly for all the decent residents within the UK’s population see you increasingly emerging in huge numbers

If this had been written in English, would it be considered appropriate for inclusion on this website? Unpopular political positions are one thing, bit this seems a bit beyond the pale.  Am I just being over sensitive?

You obviously have not read the Erotic nor Dark sections of poetry on here...Take a gander. Just remember, enter at your own risk.

poet Anonymous

WOW! First of all that person is desperate for a read. Secondly people are all entitled to their opinions, regardless of how retarded and ignorant they are. Not many folk can speak or read/write welsh so draw your own conclusions from that considering all the poems I have read thus far on du have been written in english. Is it an edgy thing, is it cowardly. I guess its subjective. I lived in wales for a brief stint and found the welsh folk unbelievably warm and friendly.

"piss off and don’t even look at it far less so take to reading it"

This person is blatantly begging for a read and  this is not representative of welsh folk. I imagine its just some abberant, racist, ill informed prick. And if they ask for honest critique give them it. In Klingon!

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Write poems about their idiotic behavior and beliefs. Have a good laugh at their expense. I have been doing it for years.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5603

Here's my thoughts:

First, I'd like a link to that poem--via pm, is fine, so we can have a browse through any other writes by this author.

Second : yes, people are entitled to their opinions and we walk a fine line as far as what needs to be censored and what doesn't. I feel that many times, you can get an idea if a person is just spouting off, having a meltdown, or what have you. If it's a repetitious theme that seems to be getting more and more filled with hate, anger and emotion, then a word to the author might be in order to check in and see if all's good or not.

If posted writes are personally attacking another member, seem like they are condoning or promoting some belief or activity to the extent where it becomes unlawful, or intends to bring harm and ruin, then yeah--that stuff will be dealt with.

poet Anonymous

Cloven_Zonkle said:What is the position of the moderators on content here which is blatantly homophobic, racist or mysogynistic? I came across a poem on here written in welsh. The appended authors comment , translated is as follows:

...by no stretch of the imagination – my own or that of any other conscionable person – is this poem in any way intended for any of the following loathsome and deviant persons: those smitten by Dykeism or Queerism whether of the open sort or the closet variety and regardless of whatever powerful position(s) they hold socially or professionally...
And so to this latter and utterly despised by me inured sewer scum I unapologetically say to all of you in relation to this poem – piss off and don’t even look at it far less so take to reading it. For it’s not meant for gutter rats like you that despairingly for all the decent residents within the UK’s population see you increasingly emerging in huge numbers

If this had been written in English, would it be considered appropriate for inclusion on this website? Unpopular political positions are one thing, bit this seems a bit beyond the pale.  Am I just being over sensitive?

Understandable that we can all take an offensive stand against bigotry. But, please do not take offense to DU allowing a hate filled poem. We have the freedom of speech. DU has always taken the responsibility of removing hate filled comments or poetry that is personally directed to an individual. I am speaking from personal experience. What our moderators have taught me, ignore, report, block. My suggestion, block the individual, whom spews the hatred you speak. Then you won't see their postings of anything they pen.  Report them if they direct racism or directly make you a target. As, I was taught. The more we respond to their hate. Feeds their foolish mindset.
Welcome to DU. It truly is a good place to write. Peace Always.. Trish

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14464

I agree with someone. Welsh is extremely offensive. speak the queen's English !

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 32awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6705

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, they do not necessarily have to share it or have the right opinion. *insert diplomatic shark grin here*
Strictly speaking the appended comment was homophobic (and wrong on so many levels; such as it is called Homosexuality), not the poem itself unless evidence of the actual poem proves otherwise.

There is also a difference between intended inclusion and inclusion from existence, from simply being. The former, intended inclusion are bits on DU that have gone through a process of being checked and okayed or bypassed this through being included in a set of standards already accepted. Though not all poems or pictures truly need this process, and some get more of this attention than others. The latter, inclusion from existence, is simply everything on DU from names of poets to provocative comments to highly erotic images and absurdly dark poems; they exist but are not necessarily things which represent the ideals and ideas of DU or of the Webmistress of Mods.

So with that in mind, such poems and comments can exist here, but they are far from welcomed or passively/neutrally accepted without challenge. Though repeated evidence of such behaviour is I'm sure to come under tighter scrutiny and given a nudge out the door. If nothing else on the pretext of being bad poetry, though having said that even bad poetry is allowed.

Free speech and all that. Huzzah for the time when Free Conscience or Free Common Sense is taken as being a given thing in society.

clewluss
SMOOKY
Thought Provoker
Joined 22nd Apr 2014
Forum Posts: 281

y dyn drwg yn ysgrifennu barddoniaeth drwg
mae hefyd yn cael rhyw gyda geifr

chump
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 30th Sep 2014
Forum Posts: 417

I hate hate filled poems. I think I'll write a hateful poem about not writing hateful poems

Fizzle
Ammiture
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 5th Sep 2016
Forum Posts: 99

Yes

Found_Epoch
Strange Creature
Joined 7th Dec 2016
Forum Posts: 3

Without seeing the dark, how can we judge the light?

Riskycee
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 8th Dec 2016
Forum Posts: 4

Hate is always there but I don't care. I love

Riskycee
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 8th Dec 2016
Forum Posts: 4

I'm new here