Go to page:

How Much Should Critique Affect You?

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Mister_Write said:The value of a critique is based on the veracity of the source and the critique’s content.  “I like the poem” is not a valid critique.  A critique from a member of a site chiefly influenced by internal politics is not a valid critique.  I know of a site where many good writers have been either “chased off”, ignored or driven to disgust by cliques…a critique from that site should be considered highly suspect.

Well, then its a good thing you are here at DUP and not at that site.

There are only a handful of people here who volunteer comprehensive critique on the submitted poems for no other reasons than they enjoy it and it helps make them better writers in the process.

poet Anonymous

JohnnyBlaze said:

Well, then its a good thing you are here at DUP and not at that site.

There are only a handful of people here who volunteer comprehensive critique on the submitted poems for no other reasons than they enjoy it and it helps make them better writers in the process.

It may well be true that a "handful" of writers engage in real critiques here, BUT there are a number of members who spread idle gossip and lies about others.  There are those who are not here for literary purposes; their intent is dark and counterproductive.  It is a shame.  The writers who have been ignored and chased off know that to be true.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14669

Mister_Write said:

It may well be true that a "handful" of writers engage in real critiques here, BUT there are a number of members who spread idle gossip and lies about others.  There are those who are not here for literary purposes; their intent is dark and counterproductive.  It is a shame.  The writers who have been ignored and chased off know that to be true.

Forked tongues are always going to be around.  It's important to become aware that in every social group, organization, neighborhood, and social network, there is going to be an official “rumorologist,” a gossip-lover who wants to gain notoriety at another's expense, as well as naïve people who follow them.  This is sad because they could gain notoriety through their own personal contributions in life, stemming from their own talents.

A wise person understands that in order to break a chain, we just have to get rid of one link. If rumors and gossip act like real viruses anywhere in our lives, it is necessary to have trusted people to act as intelligent ears to disarm things that do not make sense.   Gossip dies on the ears of a wise and intelligent person; therefore, it is necessary for us always to be that intelligent ear that will act as a barrier, that puts a stop to the affront, the senselessness, the false information, and the spark of that fire that always longs to sweep someone away.

Ghandi said it best when he said, Be the change you want to see - part of the solution, not the problem ( which includes spreading gossip about gossip ).  

poet Anonymous

Ahavati said:

Forked tongues are always going to be around.  It's important to become aware that in every social group, organization, neighborhood, and social network, there is going to be an official “rumorologist,” a gossip-lover who wants to gain notoriety at another's expense, as well as naïve people who follows them.  This is sad because they could gain notoriety through their own personal contributions in life, stemming from their own talents.

A wise person understands that in order to break a chain, we just have to get rid of one link. If rumors and gossip act like real viruses anywhere in our lives, it is necessary to have trusted people to act as intelligent ears to disarm things that do not make sense.   Gossip dies on the ears of a wise and intelligent person; therefore, it is necessary for us always to be that intelligent ear that will act as a barrier, that puts a stop to the affront, the senselessness, the false information, and the spark of that fire that always longs to sweep someone away.

Ghandi said it best when he said, Be the change you want to see - part of the solution, not the problem ( which includes spreading gossip about gossip ).  

Well said, Ahavati.  BUT.... Cliques are more effective than the individuals they tarnish and pettiness will prevail.  C'est la vie.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Mister_Write said:

Well said, Ahavati.  BUT.... Cliques are more effective than the individuals they tarnish and pettiness will prevail.  C'est la vie.

Actually, Three things cannot be long hidden: The sun, the moon, and the truth.

Sow your garden, reap your fruit.  

poet Anonymous

Ahavati said:

Actually, Three things cannot be long hidden: The sun, the moon, and the truth.

Sow your garden, reap your fruit.  

To extend on your excellent analogy, Ahavati... sowing a garden and reaping the fruit is only possible when the pests and parasites have been removed.  I appreciate your response (and that of Johnny Blaze). Once in a while I forget that certain aspects of anything good may be ruined by a few.  That's just part of reality that sucks.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Mister_Write said:

To extend on your excellent analogy, Ahavati... sowing a garden and reaping the fruit is only possible when the pests and parasites have been removed.  I appreciate your response (and that of Johnny Blaze). Once in a while I forget that certain aspects of anything good may be ruined by a few.  That's just part of reality that sucks.

I understand that; however, while struggles are a part of life, they are not the totality of what life entails.  We must remember to discover all the other ingredients that make life worth living. Your struggles do not define you. Rather,  they shape the person you become when you face them and overcome." 🙏😌🌻💫

poet Anonymous

Thank you for those thoughts, Ahavati.  They are known but layers deep; we all need to be reminded of them occasionally.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Ahavati said:

Forked tongues are always going to be around.  It's important to become aware that in every social group, organization, neighborhood, and social network, there is going to be an official “rumorologist,” a gossip-lover who wants to gain notoriety at another's expense, as well as naïve people who follow them.  This is sad because they could gain notoriety through their own personal contributions in life, stemming from their own talents.

Eloquently stated and damned poetic at that.  📝

poet Anonymous

Agreed!

inechoingsilence
Thought Provoker
United States 4awards
Joined 17th Apr 2019
Forum Posts: 317

I had to go back to the beginning to see what started this post, and I remember that place in time quite clearly.  I had the hugest attitude and felt like I had something to prove to the world.

Newsflash: the only one anyone needs to prove anything to is oneself.

Cliques - if they exist here, I am not aware of them. I suppose there must be, given the number of people -  with a large enough gathering cliques are bound to form? I have people I am friendly with, those I am more friendly with, and then the rest with whom I have not had enough of a chance to interact with yet. Being negative is a waste of time and space, imho.  

Ahavati (back around the time this thread started) gave me the most valuable piece of advice I had ever gotten as a writer. I don't remember what she said verbatim, but the premise is this: Who is in service to who? Are the words in service to you, as the writer - or are you, the writer, in service to the words and inspiration?  Let that get down and deep, and when that question can be answered in total honesty, when the walk matches the talk, much of the BS falls away.

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 868

it's a weird things about "cliques": they tend to exist more in the minds of those complaining about them and who do all they can to build one around themselves.

we can appreciate other writers, be friendlier with some than others, even know some of them offline... that does not constitute a "clique". personally, and i CAN only speak for myself, i've come across writers whose poetry i really like but whose personality sucks and people whose poetry isn't great (they tend to be working on improving, though) but who are the nicest people. chit-chatting with certain people we get along with better, personality-wise, isn't unusual! that's the most natural thing in the world.

I don't let liking people stop me from pointing out areas of weakness (as i see them) in their writing or allow a personal dislike of someone to colour my comments on their writing -i address the poems when i'm reviewing them, not the personality of the poet

yes, there are gossip-groups wherever you go on the net, generally manipulated by one or two individuals who like to play people. it's the job of moderators and admin to make sure these people don't get out of hand, adversly affecting a site, and our own job as an individual to not pile-in on a gossip-meme but to make decisions for ourselves. however, for those who love a bit of drama and gossip, it'll always be an easy sell.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

inechoingsilence said: I had to go back to the beginning to see what started this post, and I remember that place in time quite clearly.  I had the hugest attitude and felt like I had something to prove to the world.

Newsflash: the only one anyone needs to prove anything to is oneself.

Cliques - if they exist here, I am not aware of them. I suppose there must be, given the number of people -  with a large enough gathering cliques are bound to form? I have people I am friendly with, those I am more friendly with, and then the rest with whom I have not had enough of a chance to interact with yet. Being negative is a waste of time and space, imho.  

Ahavati (back around the time this thread started) gave me the most valuable piece of advice I had ever gotten as a writer. I don't remember what she said verbatim, but the premise is this: Who is in service to who? Are the words in service to you, as the writer - or are you, the writer, in service to the words and inspiration?  Let that get down and deep, and when that question can be answered in total honesty, when the walk matches the talk, much of the BS falls away.

Thank you for taking the time to let me know that, silence.  It's always nice to know that you're doing ( or saying ) something right!

inechoingsilence
Thought Provoker
United States 4awards
Joined 17th Apr 2019
Forum Posts: 317

I have to give credit where it is due, and I recently (in your name) told this same thing to a writer I am friends with. Good advice is priceless.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

inechoingsilence said:I have to give credit where it is due, and I recently (in your name) told this same thing to a writer I am friends with. Good advice is priceless.

You're right about that; it truly is. I have had priceless pieces offered to me as well.
xo

Go to page:
Go to: