Page:

Cryptomnesia

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14669

Has anyone ever written something after dreaming about it, but felt like they had read before?   Yet. despite numerous searches, couldn't find a source in any book or online that would indicate it had?  

I recently experienced it with a series I'm working on after a dream.  It all just seems so familiar to me. Yet, outside of what I have written, I can find no proof they exist or existed in any form.

Maybe it's inspiration, perhaps an old memory, or even previous life.   I've been in poetry over 40 years - and ever experienced this.  While I am very grateful for the experience ( or divine inspiration or whatever it is ) It's very disconcerting nonetheless.

If you have experienced it, has it ever stopped you from publishing a poem?

snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 1873

Yes, yes, indeed I have.  
But most of the time, by the time I find paper and pen, I forget. I just hate that. 🤬

poet Anonymous

big believer in this but am too crappily thick stupid to recognize whats happening before its too late. have started since being here carrying everywhere my notebook again.

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2300

I've posted many a spill here in the Deep after dreaming it.
Sky_dancer told me that's cheating -- LOL
Sometimes i dream it, wake up and forgot it, dream it over and over and until i pen it in my journal or as a spill.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

snugglebuck said:Yes, yes, indeed I have.  
But most of the time, by the time I find paper and pen, I forget. I just hate that. 🤬

I do that too; or, worse, convince myself I'll remember it in the morning and go back to sleep.

nomoth said:big believer in this but am too crappily thick stupid to recognize whats happening before its too late. have started since being here carrying everywhere my notebook again.

I used to, especially to work; however, now that I work from home I keep them in a special drawer in my desk. Loving it.

Tallen said:I've posted many a spill here in the Deep after dreaming it. Sky_dancer told me that's cheating -- LOL
Sometimes i dream it, wake up and forgot it, dream it over and over and until i pen it in my journal or as a spill.

Fascinating. How is it cheating?  I'm curious.

This dream was like any other, until I actually wrote the first piece out for the series, i.e.  The Quintuple Series;  the one about Plath was the inspiration for the whole series. I would swear I've read it before; however, it could've been the dream.  The others don't seem familiar beyond writing them - but that first, I have exhausted searches and come up with nothing.

inechoingsilence
Thought Provoker
United States 4awards
Joined 17th Apr 2019
Forum Posts: 317

When I am fortunate enough to doze or sleep lightly enough to dream, that is sometimes inspiration for writing. I am not usually lucky enough to remember the exact thing, but more a general concept. While I am awake, sometimes it's like getting hit in the head with something - I could be on hold with some government agency trying to get resources for my kids (they all have some level of special needs) and BAM there's another idea. And so on. If I am really lucky, I remember a phrase of one or two words.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

inechoingsilence said:When I am fortunate enough to doze or sleep lightly enough to dream, that is sometimes inspiration for writing. I am not usually lucky enough to remember the exact thing, but more a general concept. While I am awake, sometimes it's like getting hit in the head with something - I could be on hold with some government agency trying to get resources for my kids (they all have some level of special needs) and BAM there's another idea. And so on. If I am really lucky, I remember a phrase of one or two words.

The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines cryptomnesia as “The appearance in consciousness of memory images which are not recognized as such but which appear as original creations.”

The most famous cases were Helen Keller and former Beatle George Harrison.  It's even been attributed to past life memory.  It's a fascinating topic, one I've never felt led to discuss until I wrote the first in the Quintuple Series. It's just so familiar.  Though I could've come from the dream - but it seems deeper than that to me.

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced that as well.

Page:
Go to: