Go to page:

INADEQUATE MENTAL HEALTH CARE

poet Anonymous

The epidemic of shootings has lead many to blame GUN CONTROL and the NATIONAL RIFLE ASSOCIATION.  This is only one half of the problem.  The second half is INADEQUATE OR NON-EXISTENT MENTAL HEALTH CARE.

here is what I wrote for a person who did a wonderful poem for the Newtown killings:

Wonderful tribute.  No sooner than you wrote it there was another shooting.  I think that part of the problem is INADEQUATE MENTAL HEALTH CARE.  Now I am on my SOAPBOX.  Schizophrenia affects 1 in 100 people.  That is very common.  It tends to come on in adolescence or early adulthood.  Dealing with schizophrenics - can be easy if they are NOT violent but merely delusional.  However, if they are a danger to others, there is little help.  We have dismantled all Mental Health Hospitals by "reintegrating" the mentally ill into society. Most mentally ill people will NOT HARM anybody.  But it was only under Obama's watch that MENTAL HEALTH was FORCED on the INSURANCE plans.  There is still woefully inadequate mental health care in the USA and ALSO in Canada (despite Universal Health care). So both issues...that of gun control and that of adequate Mental Health care be available to ALL have to be discussed at the same time.

The mentally ill who are impossible to deal with now end up in JAIL where they get little or NO TREATMENT for their illness.
Jail is NOT the place for either the mentally ill...you do need more Psychiatric Hospitals or Psychiatric Units in Hospitals.  The mentally ill are often substance abusers...who also end up in jail when they NEED REHAB.  The USA is so fked up....about this and Canada just looks the other way.  Have you gone to Toronto and seen the homeless on the downtown streets.  Many of them are mentally ill.....

Your opinion please....

hemihead
hemi
Dangerous Mind
New Zealand 13awards
Joined 1st Nov 2010
Forum Posts: 1749

Shoot 'em.

poet Anonymous

hemihead said:Shoot 'em.

Have you stopped taking your medications...again?

Solomon_Song
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 103awards
Joined 28th Sep 2012
Forum Posts: 332

Numbers of mental hospitals were closed in the 1980/1990s in Britain, with little newer facilities to compensate. Again 'care in the community' translated into homelessness. They may have been grim and prison-like but they gave these people roofs over their heads they would not have the means or faculty to obtain for themselves outside. My home town was lucky to have a 19th century mental hospital building replaced by a modern mental health centre in recent years.  Only our tighter gun laws make shootings like what was experienced in Newtown rarer in our country - although they cause great shock to us when shootings happen like at Dunblane in 1996.

poet Anonymous

Solomon_Song said:Numbers of mental hospitals were closed in the 1980/1990s in Britain, with little newer facilities to compensate. Again 'care in the community' translated into homelessness. They may have been grim and prison-like but they gave these people roofs over their heads they would not have the means or faculty to obtain for themselves outside. My home town was lucky to have a 19th century mental hospital building replaced by a modern mental health centre in recent years.  Only our tighter gun laws make shootings like what was experienced in Newtown rarer in our country - although they cause great shock to us when shootings happen like at Dunblane in 1996.

Piers Morgan, who is from Britain is now being threatened with extradition back to Britain from the USA National Rifle Association because he believes so strongly about having gun laws as strong as yours.  He is on TV at 9 pm EST....on CNN.  He is actually an excellent host who got the job Larry King had....
Canada's gun laws are stronger than the USAs....but then Canada tends to follow its own ideas.  The only thing Canada has NOT DONE is give SAFE HAVEN to the mentally ill....which is a shameful thing as being homeless in Canada's winter climate causes deaths that ARE NOT COUNTED..........

Thank you for your comment
Peace
Kitty

skinnyjean
Llamaliscious
Thought Provoker
New Zealand 6awards
Joined 23rd May 2010
Forum Posts: 311

The last school shooting was a hoax :S From what I've been shown from the movie set footage. Yay for not living in america! But yeah the bottom line is the american government want the gun ban to go through and they did it to scare people. Dumdeedum, hey you don't have to believe me youtube it.

It does seem silly to me though, the shootings are a pretty regular occurance, they could have just waited for another wack job to come along.

And in the case of mental health care if they opened more mental hospitals that'd be great.

That is all.

P.S Seriously youtube it, I'm not stating fact it is just what I've been led to believe. PEACE!

poet Anonymous

skinnyjean said:The last school shooting was a hoax :S From what I've been shown from the movie set footage. Yay for not living in america! But yeah the bottom line is the american government want the gun ban to go through and they did it to scare people. Dumdeedum, hey you don't have to believe me youtube it.

It does seem silly to me though, the shootings are a pretty regular occurance, they could have just waited for another wack job to come along.

And in the case of mental health care if they opened more mental hospitals that'd be great.

That is all.

P.S Seriously youtube it, I'm not stating fact it is just what I've been led to believe. PEACE!

Hi
Thank you for your post.
What is the situation in New Zealand for the Mentally Ill?
I have heard that it is NOT GOOD in Australia.
Does NZ have UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE?
RSVP
THANKS
Kitty

Kingdom-darkness
Thought Provoker
United States 1awards
Joined 21st Aug 2012
Forum Posts: 186

Kitty only my 3 cents and not being rude to you in any way.

But Obama is a joke!

And two mental health ,guns and  crime

First I come from a family with mental health issues My mother a sister and uncles and a few more.
The first help that should come is from family..

Parents know when they have a child that has mental health issues but they don't want to face it or hide it because of shame or what ever reason it is that they don't want to get their child help. And by most of the time they become adults its to late for doctors to really do anything about it. And when You said that under Obama is when Mental heath was force on Insurance that is not true My niece has been cover by her father health care coverage for the past 15 years and she is 26 now.And my father Insurance covered my Mother for 30 years Blue cross/ Blue shield . By laws you can not force someone to take MEDS that are 18 years and older so what do you do with someone like that?  And I am sorry if a mentally Ill person is find on there MEDS then stop taking them on there own then go out and kill someone that that person should be jail like any other person because they made a choices..

And lets look at gun control/NRA they are not as you say the problem.. The problem is we need laws that fit the crime. Sitting in jail for life is a joke a eye for a eye...Death row all the way!!!!!!!!!! and they should NOT be able to sit on death row for 10 ,15 or 20 years!!!!!!!!! Lets face it Criminal end up with more rights then victims do. And that is bull shit!!!! A 20 year old man that rapes a 10 year girl should be put to DEATH no if and or buts about it...... And a man that takes a life for thrills, gain ,greed , or any other reason should be put to DEATH... If laws where real and harder then criminal would think before they acted...Face it we could band guns all together but the only people that would live by that law as they do any law would be law bin citizens... Criminal don't live by laws that is why they are Criminals in the first place. By the band on guns all it will do is give criminal more easier victims. Face it if I wanted to kill a man I don't need a gun I have knifes ,bats ,a car or I can make a bomb. There is a million ways to kill a man without a gun!!!!!!!!!!   What we need is real Justice for victims. I like guns I don't own one but some day I will. Now I don't think we need guns on the street that can shoot 300 rounds in 30 seconds.

darkanime313
Myxomatosis
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 29th Mar 2012
Forum Posts: 201

Wow ._.

MaggieG
Dangerous Mind
United States 16awards
Joined 27th Nov 2012
Forum Posts: 1831

My son's mental health care when he was young consisted of three things primarily

1. Myself. When he was finally diagnosed with Autism I read every book, article, etc I could get my hands on, and then decided what battles I thought needed tackling and which ones the world would have to deal with, such as I don't give two hoots my son doesn't want to be touched by most the world. Frankly I would rather not be touched by most of the people I see either. But he does need to look into their eyes, and speak clearly.

2. His primary physician. This type of choice can honestly go good, or bad. I chose Dr. Bhatt because his anti-drug stance. He wouldn't even give the boy antibiotics unless he believed them absolutely necessary. I also loved his ideas from a cultural point of view. He made it quite clear to me from day one, James was NOT mentally ill. He simply possessed a mental condition that needed supervision, and a particular type of structure.

3. Cognitive Therapists/ Counselors.  Behavioral Therapists are fabulous people. They can do more with a kid than any damn pill out there ! They provide structural therapy to modify the child's behavioral "ticks". They don't speak over parent's heads nor down to them either. They are in my opinion a parents best line of defense.

What I found odd though Kitty is most insurances ( at least in James childhood ) do not cover these types of therapists, but they would cover a pill in five seconds flat. Most of James' therapy came out of my pocket. I have scrubbed toilets, worked cotton, corn, and tobacco fields, high stress, intense physical labor jobs to see to it that my kid had what he needed. So while it pisses me off that insurance companies wanna play fast and loose with this type of stuff, I won't lie. I also get a little annoyed with parent's that don't wanna go that extra mile either.

fake_reality
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 12th June 2012
Forum Posts: 1028

well let me see
i about blew up my middle school
burned or gassed my high school
and kill a backstabber with a cloth and my hands
and i've begged for help when i had voices vstions walking nightmares
and i'm still here i'm just crazy enoff not to care
almost every rage of a ex lover was done by hand close VIOLENT vary VIOLENT
(i don't wanna hear about me being presiduse i'm not)
rebels are incresing
gays bisexuals add adhd autism sicizos we have water bras for 11 year olds these guys or girls don't need guns there mentally troubled
look up ted used bombs
we send kids to go to other counties to kill kids for money
these are all indicators that something is .... maybe not right maybe way wrong
theres nothing wrong if your one of these its that there increasing
naturally being honest genetically they will slowly die off
but if there increasing thats the outside world
this is behavior that tends to separate us on the mentally problem side something must go wrong to cuase this by parent or desinitisation or violence or chemical introduction
gays prefect example they are going against reproduction doesn't make biological since
darwin those who don't reproduce die off so they have changed into something else thats biological rebellion it doesn't make since
so this all leads me to conclude someone screws up
we don't unify other countries have way more private gun ownership but they have less gun deaths deaths in general
unlike us they understand death they don't turn away the ideas of mortality and aging they understand it
they understand a human is like them  not lesser they have enough empathy to understand the gravity of murder

APERSON
Eris
Fire of Insight
United States 1awards
Joined 24th Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 1082

I honestly believe no one is mentally ill...It is just a fucking lame excuse no amount of anything can cure someone who is true to themselves and the world...Fucked up things happen humans are flawed nothing can fix this.

Kingdom-darkness
Thought Provoker
United States 1awards
Joined 21st Aug 2012
Forum Posts: 186

You know one try fact that will never change anything in life. We the world need people to died the young,old ,sick non sick , the rich and the poor. If people lived to all be a 100 then we all would be living on top of each other... Let one fact set into your soul WE WERE ARE BORN TO DIE SOMEDAY. And people we will not get to pick where ,when or how. When our ticket comes it will be time to take that ride. Live your life free choose how you live pick the right friends and most of all BE HAPPY two things in my life I will never do. 1) Try to fix the world for it was broken before I got here and It will be after I am gone.
And the other 2) let no man take my rights from me for my father and his father before him died for my RIGHTS

poet Anonymous

Kingdom-darkness said:Kitty only my 3 cents and not being rude to you in any way.

But Obama is a joke!

And two mental health ,guns and  crime

First I come from a family with mental health issues My mother a sister and uncles and a few more.
The first help that should come is from family..

Parents know when they have a child that has mental health issues but they don't want to face it or hide it because of shame or what ever reason it is that they don't want to get their child help. And by most of the time they become adults its to late for doctors to really do anything about it. And when You said that under Obama is when Mental heath was force on Insurance that is not true My niece has been cover by her father health care coverage for the past 15 years and she is 26 now.And my father Insurance covered my Mother for 30 years Blue cross/ Blue shield . By laws you can not force someone to take MEDS that are 18 years and older so what do you do with someone like that?  And I am sorry if a mentally Ill person is find on there MEDS then stop taking them on there own then go out and kill someone that that person should be jail like any other person because they made a choices..

And lets look at gun control/NRA they are not as you say the problem.. The problem is we need laws that fit the crime. Sitting in jail for life is a joke a eye for a eye...Death row all the way!!!!!!!!!! and they should NOT be able to sit on death row for 10 ,15 or 20 years!!!!!!!!! Lets face it Criminal end up with more rights then victims do. And that is bull shit!!!! A 20 year old man that rapes a 10 year girl should be put to DEATH no if and or buts about it...... And a man that takes a life for thrills, gain ,greed , or any other reason should be put to DEATH... If laws where real and harder then criminal would think before they acted...Face it we could band guns all together but the only people that would live by that law as they do any law would be law bin citizens... Criminal don't live by laws that is why they are Criminals in the first place. By the band on guns all it will do is give criminal more easier victims. Face it if I wanted to kill a man I don't need a gun I have knifes ,bats ,a car or I can make a bomb. There is a million ways to kill a man without a gun!!!!!!!!!!   What we need is real Justice for victims. I like guns I don't own one but some day I will. Now I don't think we need guns on the street that can shoot 300 rounds in 30 seconds.

You have not offended me.
You brought up some very good points.
People who are Mental Health Advocates got rid of the old system where anybody could be put in a mental hospital and forced to take their meds.  The meds have awful side effects and patients therefore stop taking them.
Most violence is NOT caused by the Mentally Ill.
Violence is a young man's persuasion....as most crimes are
committed by young men or men in general.
We do not yet understand mental illness well enough and
the drugs available do not work well.
Guns in a household where they are locked up and only used
for hunting is permissible in Canada.
Why we need a gun in every household is a mystery to me.
Thank you for your point of view.

poet Anonymous

THANK YOU MAGGIE - MY COMMENTS ARE IN BETWEEN YOUR PARAGRAPHS

MaggieG said:My son's mental health care when he was young consisted of three things primarily

1. Myself. When he was finally diagnosed with Autism I read every book, article, etc I could get my hands on, and then decided what battles I thought needed tackling and which ones the world would have to deal with, such as I don't give two hoots my son doesn't want to be touched by most the world. Frankly I would rather not be touched by most of the people I see either. But he does need to look into their eyes, and speak clearly.

Autism is more common that previously thought and the numbers are rising.  I have several books on alternative approaches to autism. High functioning autistic children are called Aspergers and they can do University but have a hard time with interpersonal skills

2. His primary physician. This type of choice can honestly go good, or bad. I chose Dr. Bhatt because his anti-drug stance. He wouldn't even give the boy antibiotics unless he believed them absolutely necessary. I also loved his ideas from a cultural point of view. He made it quite clear to me from day one, James was NOT mentally ill. He simply possessed a mental condition that needed supervision, and a particular type of structure.

The US is notorious for overdrugging children.  We have no idea what the long term effects of medications are on the growing brain. There is also too much labelling.  Read the book - THEY SAY YOU ARE CRAZY - BY PAULA CAPLAN

3. Cognitive Therapists/ Counselors.  Behavioral Therapists are fabulous people. They can do more with a kid than any damn pill out there ! They provide structural therapy to modify the child's behavioral "ticks". They don't speak over parent's heads nor down to them either. They are in my opinion a parents best line of defense.

Not all insurance plans cover therapist....duh

What I found odd though Kitty is most insurances ( at least in James childhood ) do not cover these types of therapists, but they would cover a pill in five seconds flat.

what insurance will or will not cover is bizarre in the USA but also bizarre in Canada....many Canadian parents have to pay non- covered services out of pocket

Most of James' therapy came out of my pocket. I have scrubbed toilets, worked cotton, corn, and tobacco fields, high stress, intense physical labor jobs to see to it that my kid had what he needed. So while it pisses me off that insurance companies wanna play fast and loose with this type of stuff, I won't lie. I also get a little annoyed with parent's that don't wanna go that extra mile either.

Anybody can be a parent, no qualifications necessary, only fertility.........ouch

Thank you Maggie for your input....

Go to page:
Go to: