Poetry competition CLOSED 16th January 2012 1:51am
WINNER
Grace (IDryad)
View Profile Poems by Grace
trophy
RUNNERS-UP: OctoberArts and Public_Enemy

Go to page:

End Of Year Thoughts

diddi
StephenPaul Summerscales
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 42awards
Joined 18th Dec 2009
Forum Posts: 1704

Poetry Contest

Write a poem based on your thoughts as the year closed
A New Year's End  

So it's all over
once again
gone is the nova
which had to end
alone for another
no time to spend
under the covered
clock of chimed
suspend
I look to some other
way my life can lend
but there is no brother's
to comfort me nor tend
I will not blubber
my mind it will defend
but I know I'm going under
to a new years end .

The skies
crash down and thunder
my mind
a rumbling wonder
so blind
a stumbling blunder
in this world of
lock down dungeon .



Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
123awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 16321

Year End

The fireworks are gone
The party’s over
I am sitting here alone
Looking over at last year
Gone over the horizon
Like a distant cheer

Last year’s resolutions
Hang in the air
Painful reminders of has-been
Mocking the new wishes
To grow and prosper
Wistful thinking

So here I am alone
Just like it was before
There is nothing to be done
But live out the New Year
Until it’s not so new anymore
And it waits at the exit door

diddi
StephenPaul Summerscales
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 42awards
Joined 18th Dec 2009
Forum Posts: 1704

Lovely write as always gtace , pleased to see your input :)

diddi
StephenPaul Summerscales
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 42awards
Joined 18th Dec 2009
Forum Posts: 1704

C'mon people I'm sure you have plenty to say

Kou_Indigo
Karam L. Parveen-Ashton
Tyrant of Words
United States 69awards
Joined 15th Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 2799

- An Elemental New Year -

Part One: Fire

As the New Year cometh swift, on wings of light,
I greet the first day, and I welcome the first night.
How oft I wonder, what the New Year would be...
If time were timeless, if we all knew immortality.
Instead of losses that grow with time's passing,
We may all experience only delights, everlasting.
Perhaps in Heaven, the spirits there know of this,
For they now know only the joys of celestial bliss.
Only one worldly joy would I desire above all else,
The riches of love, for that is the only true wealth.
Men fight over land, over money, and over fame...
Whilst all I hunger for, is to bathe in love's flame.

Part Two: Earth

In the east the dragons dance, as fireworks play,
Every nation hath its' custom, for New Year's Day.
No man is a nation unto himself, it is so oft said...
Yet how lonely is life, so many still live as if dead!
To touch a single heart is a miracle Heaven-sent,
So many hearts are in pieces, their joys all spent.
Why cannot human beings be as angels in soul...
Knowing only happiness, wanting not to control?
A new year should be a time for miracles to come,
And the sorrows of the past to at last be undone.
We have so much power, yet do we know a way,
To use that power for good, and to not go astray?

Part Three: Air

So many texts we fill with knowledge and wisdom,
Yet what of love, truest wealth of God's kingdom?
Compassion for one another, and a hand to hold,
How many lack this, lonely whilst they grow old...
So much time is wasted waiting for joys to arrive,
Because so much joy is missing from all our lives!
Praise the bringers of joy, for they are so blessed,
They brave the greatest dangers, forever tested!
We waste our praise so often on shallow things...
Making paupers of those who are our true kings.
So many saviors have we hung thus upon trees,
Forgetting their wisdom, like words in the breeze.

Part Four: Water

For the New Year, let us remember what peace is,
It can be as simple, as giving a loved one a kiss...
Or reaching out to someone we never knew prior,
Words can be as water, soothing even raging fire.
Why use words to wound when words can heal...
Why ignore our senses when it is so easy to feel?
Let us live in the moment, and let it last forever...
Let us embark upon peace as our great endeavor!
Peace is what results when love is allowed to be,
A flower blooming in every heart, with true dignity.
The scent of which is pleasing unto the very spirit,
Welcoming all who would happily venture near it.

diddi
StephenPaul Summerscales
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 42awards
Joined 18th Dec 2009
Forum Posts: 1704

I'm impressed , yeah , excellent stuff there kou indigo

OctoberArts
October
Fire of Insight
United States 6awards
Joined 14th Nov 2011
Forum Posts: 596

New years

Last year I took her to see the ball

This year she wasn’t here at all

Two beers so my hands aren’t empty

Thinking about the text she sent me

“October I love you, I miss you”

Thinking about what my friend told me

“October it’s been over, do you.”

Piss drunk I become a fool

Take heroin with this girl from school

The countdown has begun

I can hear them screaming out their lungs

Yelling 5…4…3…2…1

While I indulge in twisting tongues

Happy New Years baby escapes from my mind

Fortunately drowned from the sound of bursting lights

A new year for bad choices

Reminiscing on the good choices

She begins to ramble about falling in love in 2012

Living in a world that doesn’t feel like hell

She looks at me and asked me for my resolution

I told her it wouldn’t matter my world is at its conclusion

sparshita
Joetina Arc
Twisted Dreamer
India
Joined 21st Aug 2009
Forum Posts: 81

Kou_Indigo said:- An Elemental New Year -

Part One: Fire

As the New Year cometh swift, on wings of light,
I greet the first day, and I welcome the first night.
How oft I wonder, what the New Year would be...
If time were timeless, if we all knew immortality.
Instead of losses that grow with time's passing,
We may all experience only delights, everlasting.
Perhaps in Heaven, the spirits there know of this,
For they now know only the joys of celestial bliss.
Only one worldly joy would I desire above all else,
The riches of love, for that is the only true wealth.
Men fight over land, over money, and over fame...
Whilst all I hunger for, is to bathe in love's flame.

Part Two: Earth

In the east the dragons dance, as fireworks play,
Every nation hath its' custom, for New Year's Day.
No man is a nation unto himself, it is so oft said...
Yet how lonely is life, so many still live as if dead!
To touch a single heart is a miracle Heaven-sent,
So many hearts are in pieces, their joys all spent.
Why cannot human beings be as angels in soul...
Knowing only happiness, wanting not to control?
A new year should be a time for miracles to come,
And the sorrows of the past to at last be undone.
We have so much power, yet do we know a way,
To use that power for good, and to not go astray?

Part Three: Air

So many texts we fill with knowledge and wisdom,
Yet what of love, truest wealth of God's kingdom?
Compassion for one another, and a hand to hold,
How many lack this, lonely whilst they grow old...
So much time is wasted waiting for joys to arrive,
Because so much joy is missing from all our lives!
Praise the bringers of joy, for they are so blessed,
They brave the greatest dangers, forever tested!
We waste our praise so often on shallow things...
Making paupers of those who are our true kings.
So many saviors have we hung thus upon trees,
Forgetting their wisdom, like words in the breeze.

Part Four: Water

For the New Year, let us remember what peace is,
It can be as simple, as giving a loved one a kiss...
Or reaching out to someone we never knew prior,
Words can be as water, soothing even raging fire.
Why use words to wound when words can heal...
Why ignore our senses when it is so easy to feel?
Let us live in the moment, and let it last forever...
Let us embark upon peace as our great endeavor!
Peace is what results when love is allowed to be,
A flower blooming in every heart, with true dignity.
The scent of which is pleasing unto the very spirit,
Welcoming all who would happily venture near it.


amazing.....loved it to the core....well done

diddi
StephenPaul Summerscales
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 42awards
Joined 18th Dec 2009
Forum Posts: 1704

OctoberArts said:New years

Last year I took her to see the ball

This year she wasn’t here at all

Two beers so my hands aren’t empty

Thinking about the text she sent me

“October I love you, I miss you”

Thinking about what my friend told me

“October it’s been over, do you.”

Piss drunk I become a fool

Take heroin with this girl from school

The countdown has begun

I can hear them screaming out their lungs

Yelling 5…4…3…2…1

While I indulge in twisting tongues

Happy New Years baby escapes from my mind

Fortunately drowned from the sound of bursting lights

A new year for bad choices

Reminiscing on the good choices

She begins to ramble about falling in love in 2012

Living in a world that doesn’t feel like hell

She looks at me and asked me for my resolution

I told her it wouldn’t matter my world is at its conclusion


it's never too late for anything , great stuff indeed , a lot of things brought to a head here october .

OctoberArts
October
Fire of Insight
United States 6awards
Joined 14th Nov 2011
Forum Posts: 596

Thankyou, i will take that into account :)

Public_Enemy
Lost Thinker
South Africa
Joined 2nd Jan 2012
Forum Posts: 7

A fairy-tale is what I'll tell,and its end only lies in hell . A couple once was in content, until an enemy had a sadistic intent .Their love so vast would it last ! When foes are here it'll only blast .

There comes a time when hope is lost, and every secret will take its poise . Why do lovers lie so much, when truth is unveiled they tend to crush . Last-year it ended in despise, this year it begins in demise . Poor guy was  on the front, until his half shut him back .

His clouded thoughts she could not tame, yet his pain was not to blame . She should've told him this before,her flaming secret on the floor . Now she waits a crumpled mess, tears be streaming her distress . The enemy they both knew would önly fade, if they bonded in love so true . A year doesn't always end so good, and if it does, feed on the food . A lover comes once in life, fight to cherish what you have .

diddi
StephenPaul Summerscales
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 42awards
Joined 18th Dec 2009
Forum Posts: 1704

I love this as I know too well about the way it starts in demise and so on , you write well making the competition as it should be ' competitive , thanks for this :)

Meaganiscreative
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 4th Jan 2012
Forum Posts: 4

This is beautiful. Reminiscent of Milton's Paradise Lost. I just joined up and it's refreshing to see so many wordsmiths together in one place. Writers tend to be so lonely and self-deprecating.

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
123awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 16321

Meaganiscreative said:This is beautiful. Reminiscent of Milton's Paradise Lost. I just joined up and it's refreshing to see so many wordsmiths together in one place. Writers tend to be so lonely and self-deprecating.
Perhaps they look inwards, idealistic in their needs and demands perfection, when they themselves are not too perfect. They may realise this but can't help it. Not all  writers are like that, though.

Meaganiscreative
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 4th Jan 2012
Forum Posts: 4

Well, I certainly can't speak for all writers. I hate broad, sweeping generalizations. So, shame on me for making one. I can only speak for the writer I know the best, the writer that stares back at me in mirrors, and shop windows, and glassy, still waters. And I am of the brooding, lonely, self-depricating variety.

Go to page:
Go to: