Go to page:

Little Miss Catfish

poet
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
35awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 1140

Trixareforkids said:

No, I'm speaking of someone who holds only one account but that account is not representative of who the actually are. Such as a man representing himself as a woman (straight or gay) or the reverse.


I discerned that from your reply to Craic but knew we'd cross post!

The internet is filled with sociopaths out for gain at the expense of others. Does it make it right? No. Thus the ban button.

Then there are those as described above with self-esteem issues who want to fit in and maybe feel wanted / loved.  This is where actual expression comes in to determine intent, i.e. - actions.  

The Truth could be from their heart while wearing a different skin.  But to blatantly be dishonest about looks, education, and especially gender, is misrepresentative in any form regardless of personal circumstance.

poet
LobodeSanPedro
Guardian of Shadows
Sierra Leone
106awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3092

Interesting conversation to say the least ...

And I'm speaking here STRICTLY as a fellow poet and member, NOT as a Mod ...

I've never seen the purpose of multiple accounts because writing for me can be extension of being an actor ... I look at an actor like Tom Hanks who has slipped on the skin of a gay man dying of AIDS; a Prohibtion era hitman and a social studies teacher turned WWII platoon leader.

Writing allows even greater freedom.

On this site I've been a drag queen infected with HIV ... a serial killer ... a alcoholic former football player with CTE ... a woman who enjoys threeway sexual trysts with her husband ...

All of it penned under one name.

More to the point of this debate ... more steps need to be taken for full disclosure to safeguard against "catfish" enterprises.

Disclosure of all DUP accounts an individual holds was a huge first step ...

Bottomline people need to exercise a little more discretion before getting too personal on the internet ... it's the fuckn internet!

poet
Trixareforkids
Dangerous Mind
United States
6awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 2nd Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 2597

lepperochan said:That's the thing,  I can only speak for myself, and it'll be honest.

I can see you're annoyed at someone's behaviour. and from what you've written I can see why. and perhaps you can see why, for me,  it's a bit blurry or grey

I'll take you back a year or two ago to when I made some errors in terms of judgment call. girls name was Red, she was a Portuguese model. 'cept she wasn't. she was a pretty good poet though and a prolific commenter

similarities here seem plenty and I'm not one to make the same mistake twice. that in mind, I would urge caution.


I do see your POV, and don't disagree with it, that's why I brought this to the forum, I can see some merit/non-nefarious purposes to representing oneself as other in the public forum and in poetic form, but for me the line gets drawn when it comes to one on one private conversations where someone represent themselves as other than they are, whether that be through omission for instance not saying that you're married, or direct deceit such as claiming to be the opposite sex.

What offenses get a pass and which don't? What's a fair response and what reactions cross a line.

For instance if you found out through private message that someone is misrepresenting themselves in a way that may cause harm to other community members is it within bounds to take that information to the forum and warn others?

poet
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
35awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 1140

LobodeSanPedro said:Interesting conversation to say the least ...

And I'm speaking here STRICTLY as a fellow poet and member, NOT as a Mod ...

I've never seen the purpose of multiple accounts because writing for me can be extension of being an actor ... I look at an actor like Tom Hanks who has slipped on the skin of a gay man dying of AIDS; a Prohibtion era hitman and a social studies teacher turned WWII platoon leader.

Writing allows even greater freedom.

On this site I've


Interesting, San Pedro. And do you go see one movie, say, 'Castaway', expecting to see Tom's character in 'Streets of Philidelphia'? No; anymore than I want the bi-sexual poetry of Adsila mixed in with the Spiritual / Love poetry of Ahavati.  That's why movies have different titles, and my public accounts have different names of actors . . . and, as you know each character portrayed is Tom Hanks, thus are my accounts me.

Therefore, I'm creating various movies in which I fluctuate between characters, same as actors do when they're working on simultaneous movies.

In conclusion, it's about personal freedom of creating in whatever way each individual writer feels led to create. Thank goodness this site also allows the alternative to mainstream vision that multiples are senseless as a whole strictly because they're senseless to them personally.

Viva la Freedom to Create!

More to the point of this debate ... more steps need to be taken for full disclosure to safeguard against "catfish" enterprises.

Disclosure of all DUP accounts an individual holds was a huge first step ...

Bottomline people need to exercise a little more discretion before getting too personal on the internet ... it's the fuckn internet!


Despite there being periodic returns of rabblerousers incognito, there's one main shark who circles in multiple accounts without disclosure. He's a male repeatedly  pretending to be female and has stated he's deliberately here to cause havoc to a Mod who still has the messages.

Despite continual banning, he finds a way to return. Address that, and you've dismantled 3/4th's of the " Catfish Enterprises ".

poet
Trixareforkids
Dangerous Mind
United States
6awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 2nd Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 2597

Ahavati said:

I discerned that from your reply to Craic but knew we'd cross post!

The internet is filled with sociopaths out for gain at the expense of others. Does it make it right? No. Thus the ban button.

Then there are those as described above with self-esteem issues who want to fit in and maybe feel wanted / loved.  This is where actual expression comes in to determine intent, i.e. - actions.  

The Truth could be from their heart while wearing a different skin.  But to blatantly be dishonest about looks, education, and especially gender, is misrepresentative in any form regardless of personal circumstance.


Ok, I'm ignorant of the ban button, do you know how the process works, and is the ban button the same as the block button?

poet
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
35awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 1140

Trixareforkids said:

Ok, I'm ignorant of the ban button, do you know how the process works, and is the ban button the same as the block button?


The ban button is for the Mods. The block button is for members.

poet
lepperochan
Craic-in-a-box
Tyrant of Words
63awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 11854

I think,  a lie is a lie. and while lying may have personal and spiritual implications it doesnt appear to feature much in the "not to do" guidlines.

where do we draw the line with lying. I dunno, it seems like a vast abyss to dive into.

Seems to be a secondary conversation going on about multiple profiles. I thought we were talking about a single profile

there's also the question of source. found out through pm doesn't read very reliable. barring a personal confession from the profile we're talking about hearsay. simply put

I think my guy would go with catfish enterprises like what Lobo said.

my understanding of that would be a person who uses deception to gain goods.

couldn't possibly make a judgment on lying



poet
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
35awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 1140

lepperochan said:I think,  a lie is a lie. and while lying may have personal and spiritual implications it doesnt appear to feature much in the "not to do" guidlines.

where do we draw the line with lying. I dunno, it seems like a vast abyss to dive into.

Seems to be a secondary conversation going on about multiple profiles. I thought we were talking about a single profile

there's also the question of source. found out through pm doesn't read very reliable. barring a personal confession from the profile we're talking about hearsay. simply put

I think my guy would go with catfish enterprises like what Lobo said.

my understanding of that would be a person who uses deception to gain goods.

couldn't possibly make a judgment on lying


Absolutely.

As far as drawing the line, if one lies to protect themselves that's one thing; however, to lie for personal gain over the emotions / control / trust of another, which in turn violates trust and causes good members or potential poets to leave the site, then it's detrimental to the site as a whole and should be addressed immediately.

poet
LobodeSanPedro
Guardian of Shadows
Sierra Leone
106awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3092

Ahavati said:

Interesting, San Pedro. And do you go see one movie, say, 'Castaway', expecting to see Tom's character in 'Streets of Philidelphia'? No; anymore than I want the bi-sexual poetry of Adsila mixed in with the Spiritual / Love poetry of Ahavati.  That's why movies have different titles, and my public accounts have different names of actors . . . and, as you know each character portrayed is Tom Hanks, thus are my accounts me.

Therefore, I'm creating various movies in which I fluctuate between characters, same as actors do when they're working on simultaneous movies.

I'm conclusion, it's about personal freedom of creating in whatever way each individual writer feels led to create. Thank goodness this site also allows the alternative to mainstream vision that multiples are senseless as a whole strictly because they're senseless to them personally.

Viva la Freedom to Create!



Yes, what you say is true, BUT in the end we know it's Tom Hanks.  There's no guessing as to whether it's Brad Pitt or Matthew Mcconaughey ... an actor dons the proper makeup and costume; and plays the role ...

That's what a "pen" is ... a writer's makeup - costume - accent and set.

When I wrote as a drag queen I didn't do it as BOYTOYDANCER ... I didn't have to be JANEWITHCHAINS to write ménage from the pov of a sexual empowered woman ...

I generally don't knock those who do; but as you know from your service as a Mod ... multiple accounts set up for "cat fishing" and bullying is a big problem on this site, and there are those who have hidden in the shadows under multiple pseudonyms.

If one needs five accounts to write ... so be it.  But if that fifth account is designed to entrap or bully ... that's when I have issues.

poet
Trixareforkids
Dangerous Mind
United States
6awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 2nd Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 2597

Ahavati said:

The ban button is for the Mods. The block button is for members.


Lol, that explains my ignorance.

poet
Trixareforkids
Dangerous Mind
United States
6awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 2nd Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 2597

LobodeSanPedro said:

If one needs five accounts to write ... so be it.  But if that fifth account is designed to entrap or bully ... that's when I have issues.


Ok, so I'm curious, if someone is just having fun fucking with people w/o bullying or seeking gain, then it's okay with you? How do you weigh the potential harm to other, more vulnerable, members with someone's liberty? And I am asking you in your member hat not your mod hat.

poet
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
35awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 1140

LobodeSanPedro said:

Yes, what you say is true,


Just to save time in the future, let's just assume I'm always right!


BUT in the end we know it's Tom Hanks.  There's no guessing as to whether it's Brad Pitt or Matthew Mcconaughey ... an actor dons the proper makeup and costume; and plays the role ...

Actually, we know in the beginning it's Tom Hanks because that's typically why we go to the movie, because of the actors playing the role.

That's what a "pen" is ... a writer's makeup - costume - accent and set.

When I wrote as a drag queen I didn't do it as BOYTOYDANCER ... I didn't have to be JANEWITHCHAINS to write ménage from the pov of a sexual empowered woman ...


See, there's the crux of the issue bolded 3x's for empasis. I didn't need to so don't understand why you need to.

Let me say this differently, I don't personally want my bi-sexual movie starring me as Adsila to be spliced into my Spiritual / Love movie starring me as Ahavati.

I generally don't knock those who do; but as you know from your service as a Mod ... multiple accounts set up for "cat fishing" and bullying is a big problem on this site, and there are those who have hidden in the shadows under multiple pseudonyms.

Oh yeah. Madame and I have fought those fights valiantly. And yet one still remains, pretending to be women to cause deliberate havoc for his pleasure.  Which, according to him, was always his goal.

You know to whom I refer.

If one needs five accounts to write ... so be it.  But if that fifth account is designed to entrap or bully ... that's when I have issues.

You're not alone on that.

poet
Umm
eliza
Fire of Insight
Latvia
  profile   poems   message
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 808

it seems safest to just assume everyone here is a married man

poet
Miss_Sub
- Missy -
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
72awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 26th June 2011
Forum Posts: 5834

LobodeSanPedro said:
Bottomline people need to exercise a little more discretion before getting too personal on the internet ... it's the fuckn internet!


Of all the things I've read in this thread, I think this is possibly the bottom line of it all and one I simply have to agree with.  Hashtag just sayin'.

poet Anonymous

Miss_Sub said:

Of all the things I've read in this thread, I think this is possibly the bottom line of it all and one I simply have to agree with.  Hashtag just sayin'.


dissasociation from emotional connectivity isnt as easy as all that depending on your mindset, the reasons we are here vary, our own emotional state is different,

I can deadlift 200kgs for five sets of ten, now you do it.......

it isn't as simple as that, I see Craic's point on a lot of this, however there has to be a line drawn on interactions.

Lobo, Ahavati love and respect you as people and writers, however you've drifted the intent and conversation based on what I can see as a personal bugbear onto a different tangent of the same circle.

this is what I can see as a Samantha Red moment.

if you want to be a woman online and you're not one in real life that's you're prerogative, but when it all switches to the realm of private conversations we are looking at emotional vulnerability.

public interactions are filtered differently to private, you let down your guard a little bit at a time, depending on the person this can have catastrophic real life reverberations. speaking as a person that is emotionally and mentally strong, some one that writes the way I do tends to get private messages on a regular basis now depending on how I react can have ramifications to the person reaching out.

from my experience online filters are different than real life ones, it allows a degree of emotional association based on our own perceptions, now depending on what filter you are looking through can skew the conversation and the intent of the conversation.

now in one instance I was being me flirting chatting and what not with one particular woman. It wasn't until nearly a year later I realised what water I was treading in, I was involved in an emotional afffair. nearly lost my wife, my kids and my business.

now if that person had been a man posing as a woman, my mental state had been more fragile, where could this spiral.


Go to page:
Go to: