poet Anonymous

the dude seems alright, just lost
google is hard to spell ;-)

Solomon_Song
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 103awards
Joined 28th Sep 2012
Forum Posts: 332

Are you limited to any particular century?  From our country I can offer Thomas Chatterton (born Bristol, died London) 1752-1770, age 17.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

lepperochan said:Well, that's a real pretty smile for a dead witch

Awww you say the nicest things.

nithaelpigios
Strange Creature
Joined 10th Mar 2014
Forum Posts: 7

Thank you! I know already Thomas Chatterton, among others (just a few of them- I list afterwards), if you find out something about more, I would strongly appreciate it.

Jewsbury, Maria Jane 1800-1833
Johnson, Donald F G (1890-1916)
Johnson, Lionel Pigot (1867-1902)
Jones, Leslie Philips (1895-1915)
Keats, John (1795-1821)
Keyes, Sidney Arthus Kilworth (1923-1943
Knowles, Herbert (1798-1917)
Leapor, Mary (1722-1746)
Leighton, Rolland Aubrey (1895-1915)
Levy, Amy (1861-1889)
Lewis, Alun (1915-1944)
Littlejohn, WH (1891-1917)
Mann, Arthur James (1896-1917)
Marlowe, Christopher (1564-1593)
Middleton, Richard Barham (1882-1911)
Morris, Francis st Vincent (1896-1917)
Murray, Robert Fuller (1863-1894)

Solomon_Song
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 103awards
Joined 28th Sep 2012

Another English poet suicide was Sir John Suckling 1609-1642, also said to be the inventor of cribbage, in exile in Paris.

From the lists in your last post I can definitely point out some non-suicides, who can thus be eliminated:

John Keats died of TB in Italy
Sidney Keyes and Alun Lewis were both killed in action in WWII
Christopher Marlowe was killed in a tavern brawl
Roland Leighton died of wounds received in action in WWI

jaspersilence
Fire of Insight
United States 7awards
Joined 12th Dec 2012
Forum Posts: 708

nithael...have I seen your name on any other sites?It reads so familiar???

ChacoTaco97
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 12th Mar 2014
Forum Posts: 9

I believe that the poets could have been saved it  their obvious pleas were ever heard

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14458

Sir John Suckling 1609-1642 died from self suicide at the age of thirty one, frankly I'm not surprised by this at all given that it has to be one of the most unfortunate names I've heard in a long time.

I imagine when the census guy came and enquired of his name " I say, who is the baby upon your breast" the reply would have been "It's Sir John, suckling"

I'd say it all came to a head, while at the club, when a conversation occurred between a visiting Dutchman and the barkeep.
" barkeep, who are those two gentlemen"

"That's Sir Jhon Suckling, with a private member"

of course the Dutchman who'd been an avid reader of Suckling for years introduced himself to them both and spoke for some time. thrilled with the encounter the Dutchman told his friends that he'd met Sir Jhon suckling with a private member"

it all went downhill from there

Solomon_Song
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 103awards
Joined 28th Sep 2012

Re Sir John Suckling (Craic Dealer's comments)

LOL.  Seriously, Suckling is a family name known in the east of England. Captain Maurice Suckling was an uncle of Horatio Nelson, who got the latter his first commission in the British Navy (in the days when family connections helped and military and naval commissions could be purchased).

Sir John's death has not been firmly dated - he fled England after taking part in a military coup plot in favour of King Charles I early in 1641. Different anecdotes give differing causes for his death - one that he wandered into Spain accompanying a woman and fell into the hands of the Inquisition (he was a Protestant), another that he died of blood poisoning from a nail in his boot. He was certainly dead by February 1642 when an elegy (memorial poem) was published in England, calling him "SUTLING".

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14458

I read somewhere that early Saxon English sir-names derived from occupation:   Carpenter, Wicks, Seaman ect, which sounds fair enough I suppose. there must have been some confusing times for the females of the Seaman family, and I suppose on some level Carpenters too, and in fairness the Wicks as well, though I suppose that kind of confusion would be nothing compared to the males of the Miner families    

Go to page:
Go to: