Go to page:

Trumps Indictment: Historical and Future Implications IV

Rew
Fire of Insight
England 15awards
Joined 30th Sep 2022
Forum Posts: 458

poet Anonymous

There's a recent trend in this thread of posters on the left / liberal / progressive end of the political spectrum claiming who the president is doesn't matter--specifically, if it's "Biden," then it's not so much him, the vegetable, we're voting for, but his policies, values, etc.

I'm on the side that believes we need a President, not a potted plant (Yes, I know, calling Biden a potted plant is an insult to potted plants).

However, I expect these people to change their tune when Biden is no longer in the race.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 118awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 15350

July 5, 2024 (Friday)
HEATHER COX RICHARDSON
JUL 06, 2024

For all that certain members of the media continue their freakout over Biden’s electability after his appearance in last Thursday’s event on CNN, it is Trump and his Republicans who appear to be nervous about the upcoming election.

Journalist Jennifer Schulze of Heartland Signal noted today that as of 8:00 this morning, the New York Times had published 192 pieces on Biden’s debate performance: 142 news articles and 50 opinion pieces. Trump was covered in 92 stories, about half of which were about the Supreme Court’s immunity ruling. Although Trump has frequently slurred his words or trailed off while speaking and repeatedly fell asleep at his own criminal trial, none of the pieces mentioned Trump’s mental fitness.

But for all of what independent journalists are calling a “feeding frenzy,” egged on by right-wing media figures, it seems as if the true implications of Project 2025 are starting to gain traction and the Trump campaign recognizes that the policies that document advocates are hugely unpopular.

On July 2, Heritage Foundation president Kevin Roberts assured Trump ally Steve Bannon’s followers that they are winning in what he called “the second American Revolution, which will remain bloodless if the left allows it to be.” In March, Roberts told former Trump administration official and now right-wing media figure Sebastian Gorka about Project 2025: “There are parts of the plan that we will not share with the Left: the executive orders, the rules and regulations. Just like a good football team we don’t want to tip off our playbook to the Left.”

This morning, although Roberts has described Project 2025 as “institutionalizing Trumpism,” Trump’s social media feed tried to distance the former president from Project 2025. “I know nothing about Project 2025. I have no idea who is behind it,” the post read. Despite this disavowal of any knowledge of the project, it continued: “I disagree with some of the things they’re saying and some of the things they’re saying are absolutely ridiculous and abysmal. Anything they do, I wish them luck, but I have nothing to do with them.”

In what appeared to be a coordinated statement, the directors of Project 2025 wrote on social media less than two hours later that they “do not speak for any candidate.”  

Aside from the fact that “[a]nything they do, I wish them luck,” sounds much like the signaling Trump did to the Proud Boys when he told them to “stand back and stand by,” Trump’s assertion and Project 2025’s response can’t possibly erase the many and deep ties of the Trump camp to Project 2025. Juliet Jeske of Decoding Fox News noted that Trump’s name shows up on more than 190 pages of the Project 2025 playbook.

Rebekah Mercer, who sits on the board of the Heritage Foundation, was one of Trump’s top donors in 2016; her family founded and operated Cambridge Analytica, the company that misused the data of millions of Facebook users to push pro-Trump and anti-Clinton material in 2016. Trump’s national press secretary, Karoline Leavitt, has appeared in a Project 2025 video. Trump’s own super PAC has been running ads promoting Project 2025, calling it “Trump’s Project 2025,” and many of its policies—killing the Department of Education, erasing the separation of church and state, ending renewable energy programs and ramping up use of fossil fuels, deporting immigrantsare also Trump’s.

Project 2025’s director, Paul Dans, as well as both of its associate directors, Spencer Chretien and Troup Hemenway, were in charge of personnel in Trump’s White House, and the theme of Project 2025 is that “people are policy,” by which they mean that hand-picked loyalists must replace civil servants. Trump’s former body man John McEntee, who reentered the White House as a senior advisor after having to leave because he failed a background check, was in charge of hiring in the last months of the Trump White House; he helped to draft Project 2025. Key Trump ally Russell Vought wrote the section of Project 2025 that called for an authoritarian leader; he is also on the platform committee of the Republican National Convention.

If indeed Trump knows nothing about Project 2025 and has no idea who is behind it, his cognitive ability is rotten. As former chair of the Republican National Committee Michael Steele wrote, “Since [Project 2025] is designed to institutionalize Trumpism and you know nothing about it, then why do you echo some of its policy priorities during your rallies? Coincidence? And how exactly don’t you know that Project 2025 Director Paul Dans served as your chief of staff at the Office of Personnel Management, and Associate Director Spencer Chretien served as your special assistant and associate director of presidential personnel? And folks say we should be worried about Biden.”

Trump’s attempt to distance himself from Project 2025 indicates just how toxic that plan is with voters. As political scientist Ian Bremmer dryly noted, it seems that “the second [A]merican revolution apparently [is] not polling as well as the first in internal focus groups.” Former Republican strategist Rick Wilson was even more direct, saying that Trump was trying to distance himself from Project 2025 because “most of it polls about like Ebola,” the deadly virus that causes severe bleeding and organ failure, and has a mortality rate of 80 to 90%.

The extremism of the MAGA Republicans was on display in another way today as well after The New Republic published a June 30 video of North Carolina lieutenant governor Mark Robinson, currently the Republican nominee for governor of North Carolina, saying to a church audience about their opponents—whom he identified in a scattershot speech as anything from communists to “wicked people” to those standing against “conservatives”—"Kill them! Some liberal somewhere is gonna say that sounds awful. Too bad!... Some folks need killing! It's time for somebody to say it.”

Today the Vatican turned against one of those extremists when it excommunicated pro-Trump archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò, who was the Vatican’s diplomat to the U.S. from 2011 to 2016, for “schism” after he refused to recognize the authority of Pope Francis. Viganò has repeatedly attacked Francis’s Catholic Church for being “inclusive, immigrationist, eco-sustainable, and gay-friendly.”

Also today, Trump’s lawyers asked Judge Aileen Cannon, who is overseeing Trump’s criminal trial for retaining hundreds of classified documents, to dismiss charges that can no longer be prosecuted in light of the Supreme Court’s decision that a president cannot be charged for crimes committed while engaging in “official acts.” They also called the case “politically motivated” and asked Cannon to stop the case entirely in light of Justice Clarence Thomas’s suggestion that Special Counsel Jack Smith was not properly appointed.

Cont below

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 118awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Cont from above

The other big news today was that the U.S. added 206,000 jobs in June, bringing the total number of jobs created under this administration to 15.7 million. Last month’s numbers were, once again, higher than economists expected and, according to economic analyst Steven Rattner, above job growth levels before the pandemic. He added that these jobs are not simply a bounceback from the depths of the pandemic: 6.2 million more Americans are employed now than before Covid hit.

Poking fun at the calls for Biden to step down, conservative lawyer George Conway posted: “Biden needs to RESIGN NOW before any more of these terrible job things are created.”

In a speech today in Madison, Wisconsin, Biden vowed to stay in the race, and the speech appeared strong enough that right-wing extremists, including Senator Mike Lee (R-UT) and activist Laura Loomer, posted on social media—falsely—that he was having a medical emergency aboard Air Force One. Tonight, George Stephanopoulos of ABC interviewed Biden without a teleprompter or notes, focusing only on Biden’s age without any questions about policy. ABC News posted the interview transcript with the president’s conversation portrayed with the “g”s dropped off the words and with other colloquial pronunciations spelled out, as if it were dialect. Trump, whose words the press tends to turn into clean prose, has refused to do an interview under the same conditions.

Notes: https://heathercoxrichardson.substack.com/p/july-5-2024-friday

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 118awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Mark_Parsons said:There's a recent trend in this thread of posters on the left / liberal / progressive end of the political spectrum claiming who the president is doesn't matter--specifically, if it's "Biden," then it's not so much him, the vegetable, we're voting for, but his policies, values, etc.

I'm on the side that believes we need a President, not a potted plant (Yes, I know, calling Biden a potted plant is an insult to potted plants).

However, I expect these people to change their tune when Biden is no longer in the race.

There's a recent trend in this thread of middle-aged WHITE men—who I would bet are conservative Christians—who could be poster representatives for Trump that are more focused on the man ( despite his lies and character ) regardless of what happens to the country if he's elected, i.e. - Christian Nationalism.

I repeat and will continue to repeat because it is the truth:

Separation of Church and State: Biden

Project 2025, Christian Nationalism: Trump, who has falsely claimed he knows nothing about it or who drafted it and yet discusses in detail some of the contents! LOLOL!

We're on to your asses and sick of white supremist patriarchy. We were looking in the wrong place—not anymore.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 118awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Rew said:https://www.commondreams.org/news/trump-oil-industry-donations

Yeah, I read that. Trump doesn't give a shit about anything, especially our earth, but power. If elected, his people can do whatever they want as long as he maintains power and control.

Rew
Fire of Insight
England 15awards
Joined 30th Sep 2022
Forum Posts: 458

I posted that link because someone
said that I shouldn't interfere or have
an opinion in America's internal affairs.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 118awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Rew said:I posted that link because someone
said that I shouldn't interfere or have
an opinion in America's internal affairs.

I figured as much but wanted to acknowledge your contribution. As I've previously said, what happens in the west WILL affect the east. Christian nationalism is a global movement, as is climate change.

MidnightSonneteer
Dangerous Mind
United States 6awards
Joined 13th May 2022
Forum Posts: 186

Simple logic to the rescue...

In the light of Lincoln's democracy gold standard of government of the people by the people for the people, when Reagan came along and declared that government was the problem, he was tacitly admitting that he thought the people were the problem...and ergo...Reagan, and his devotees, are the problem.

poet Anonymous

Ahavati said:

There's a recent trend in this thread of middle-aged WHITE men—who I would bet are conservative Christians—who could be poster representatives for Trump that are more focused on the man ( despite his lies and character ) regardless of what happens to the country if he's elected, i.e. - Christian Nationalism.

I repeat and will continue to repeat because it is the truth:

Project 2025, Christian Nationalism: Trump, who has falsely claimed he knows nothing about it or who drafted it and yet discusses in detail some of the contents! LOLOL!

We're on to your asses and sick of white supremist patriarchy. We were looking in the wrong place—not anymore.

How do you know what race and gender I identify as? Or my buddy PoetWarrior? As Gretta would say, "How DARE you!"

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 118awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Mark_Parsons said:

How do you know what race and gender I identify as? Or my buddy PoetWarrior? As Gretta would say, "How DARE you!"

*flips hair*

Darlin, I'm from the South. I don't just DARE. I double-dog DARE.

And, I dunno, maybe it has something to do with the britches that you wear? But not really. It's the energy.

MidnightSonneteer
Dangerous Mind
United States 6awards
Joined 13th May 2022
Forum Posts: 186

“WAR is a racket. It always has been. It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives.” ― Smedley Butler, War Is a Racket

“I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents.”
― Smedley D. Butler, War Is a Racket

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smedley_Butler

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 118awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Ahavati said:There's a documentary titled " Bad Faith" on Prime that explores the rise of Christian Nationalism and how it has become the most powerful anti-democratic force in the US. Turning into a powerful weapon, they aim to promote an authoritarian vision, but Americans seem unaware of the threat, focusing on which of the two men they should vote for rather than their policies.

I'm recommending it to everyone. Research as much as possible. Educate yourselves. Don't listen to others. Don't be intimidated by those who result to insults.

Let your decision be based on what you learn not what you're told.

I want to bump the above because I watched it twice. I encourage every American to watch it. Thank goodness that there are some Christians who oppose Christian Nationalism.

And while you're at it, touch base on the fall of Rome:

https://www.history.com/news/8-reasons-why-rome-fell

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 118awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

MidnightSonneteer said:“WAR is a racket. It always has been. It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives.” ― Smedley Butler, War Is a Racket

“I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents.”
― Smedley D. Butler, War Is a Racket

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smedley_Butler

I believe it. When I was a third-world missionary in Central America, particularly post-revolution Nicaragua, the remnants of war were still very much apparent. And not just in ancient structures but people as well.

They had one of the last leper colonies on earth that they were phasing out by sterilizing the children, as the disease skipped generations. It's been burned to the ground now. Heinous.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 118awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Mark_Parsons said:There's a recent trend in this thread of posters on the left / liberal / progressive end of the political spectrum claiming who the president is doesn't matter--specifically, if it's "Biden," [. . . ]

That's EXACTLY what I'm saying. And according to a headline this morning, I'm not alone in thinking that:

The U.K. elections have a surprising message for the U.S.
Ultimately, political parties — not personalities — are the defining rubric for British voters.

[ . . . ]

Second, one reason that the U.K. and other parliamentary democracies can run such short general election campaigns is that their elections, while nominally focused on choosing prime ministers, are, in actuality, votes for parties rather than people.

[ . . . ]

Policies that would adversely affect EVERY American by alienating large percentages ( women, LGBTQ+, etc. ) should be the focus. Not a singular man. If something happens to Biden, Harris will step in and take the reins.

Project 25, Christian Nationalism: Trump

Which is more important for EVERY American?

Go to page:
Go to: