Page:

Any good critique places for poetry?

x_Goodie
Strange Creature
Joined 16th Mar 2023
Forum Posts: 4

I just started out writing and I have no idea if I'm doing good.

Betty
Dangerous Mind
United States 20awards
Joined 8th May 2012
Forum Posts: 494

This is the workshop. Meant for just that reason, for newbies to get feedback or vets to get help with clunking lines.

Post a poem here and I’ll ‘shop it with you.🙂

SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 25awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 940

x_G, I just read your submissions. You have a poetic voice that I like. Others appear to as well. To me, that means you may be on the right track, but that's from the outside looking in. If your poems also feel good to you, then I'd say you're doing well.

CalebMurdock
Strange Creature
Joined 17th June 2024
Forum Posts: 2

I'm new here, but I have a few things to say.  Twenty years ago there were a lot of poetry critique forums.  Social media platforms have put a bite in the poetry forums, as a lot of poets now post their poems on whatever platform they prefer, and people can comment if they like.  My recent experience is that most dedicated poetry forums are pretty dead.

I would advise you to avoid Pig Pen and Eratosphere.  Pig Pen used to be a good, active forum, but the owner died, and then it was broken for several years.  The current owner has very strict rules and feels free to delete posts on a whim.  Eratosphere is a clique of conceited intellectuals who don't like admitting new members and will often gang up on new members and drive them off the forum.

I don't know what this place is like yet.

poet Anonymous

CalebMurdock said:I'm new here, but I have a few things to say.  Twenty years ago there were a lot of poetry critique forums.  Social media platforms have put a bite in the poetry forums, as a lot of poets now post their poems on whatever platform they prefer, and people can comment if they like.  My recent experience is that most dedicated poetry forums are pretty dead.

I would advise you to avoid Pig Pen and Eratosphere.  Pig Pen used to be a good, active forum, but the owner died, and then it was broken for several years.  The current owner has very strict rules and feels free to delete posts on a whim.  Eratosphere is a clique of conceited intellectuals who don't like admitting new members and will often gang up on new members and drive them off the forum.

I don't know what this place is like yet.

DUP is a good site to post compared to others. Erotic seems to be big here, but as far as critique goes, there's not too much of it. I'll often send a private message to someone if I see words misspelled, but because of bad experiences with trying to offer advice (on other sites) I let things go. However, there is an option you can use if you're looking for "honest critique."

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 118awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 15287

Dragonblood said:

DUP is a good site to post compared to others. Erotic seems to be big here, but as far as critique goes, there's not too much of it. I'll often send a private message to someone if I see words misspelled, but because of bad experiences with trying to offer advice (on other sites) I let things go. However, there is an option you can use if you're looking for "honest critique."

Someone who is serious about their writing welcomes honest critique - that's how I distinguish who to give my time to. I've had my head bitten off more than once by someone and had to remind them that I was merely HONORING their request.

Of course, that being said, there is a way to provide honest critique without diminishing a writer's dreams.

poet Anonymous

Ahavati said:

Someone who is serious about their writing welcomes honest critique - that's how I distinguish who to give my time to. I've had my head bitten off more than once by someone and had to remind them that I was merely HONORING their request.

Of course, that being said, there is a way to provide honest critique without diminishing a writer's dreams.

I agree. On this site if someone uses the option for honest critique and I see something I know is inaccurate, I would offer suggestions. And I've done that, but after seeing no changes, I tend to let people write the way they want.

As for my experiences on other sites, I too have had my head bitten off more than once. Perhaps my communication skills aren't up to par, I don't know. But for me personally , Offering critique has never been very beneficial. So with the exception of misspelled words I keep quiet. I've tried to honor people's poems, but it doesn't work for me.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 118awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Dragonblood said:

I agree. On this site if someone uses the option for honest critique and I see something I know is inaccurate, I would offer suggestions. And I've done that, but after seeing no changes, I tend to let people write the way they want.

As for my experiences on other sites, I too have had my head bitten off more than once. Perhaps my communication skills aren't up to par, I don't know. But for me personally , Offering critique has never been very beneficial. So with the exception of misspelled words I keep quiet. I've tried to honor people's poems, but it doesn't work for me.

Eh. I still venture out when I feel led, especially if I think the piece is worth it. Come what may!

MidnightSonneteer
Dangerous Mind
United States 6awards
Joined 13th May 2022
Forum Posts: 164

I've also encountered other poetry websites that are not really POETRY focused, or are even just using the word to mask some other agenda.

There are at least two people on this short thread who can be trusted to provide advice with a sympathetic ear to the novice, knowing full well how likely it is that the novice will be the most thin skinned about what they are trying to learn.

That sensitivity lets us all know how much they care, and deserves to be respected for that alone.

DUP can boast that it has a splendid blend of both high and low brow talent, or street wise and academically oriented practitioners of the craft.

Keep in mind that I have made boo-boos and faux pas here, been scorched for it, but proceeded to interact with no hard feelings.

It's usually a flexible and forgiving environment.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 118awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Now there are three!

Page:
Go to: