Go to page:

Straight Jackets, Neurosis and Poetry

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013
Forum Posts: 2077

I found this cool essay written by C G Jung about the psychology of an artist and their art, which I thought would be of interest to some poets here at Deep Underground.

The book I was reading is called Modern Man in Search of a Soul, which is a series of lectures by C G Jung.  The book was published first in 1933, so it ain't exactly "modern" as the title suggests, and Jung as a writer is dry as all fuck in his delivery, but the theories and analysis Jung presents (along with Freud's) in the essay Psychology and Literature, I think, are relevant to the internal mechanics and mindsets of the few writers and creative people I've had the misfortune of meeting.

Below is a link to the Psychology and Literature, unfortunately the video is cut short, so you miss the end of the chapter.
https://youtu.be/GNx_RxZNbTg
Part 1 The Work of Art
Part 2 The Artist (starts at 34 minutes 20 seconds)

So what are your thoughts on the psychology of "the artist" and their art? Do you think (as Freud suggests) that most artists, on a personal level, are emotionally undeveloped persons with neurosis?

Do you agree or disagree that a creative person is a duality; on one side a human being with a personal life and on the other side an impersonal creative process?

And what about the view that it's essential for art to rise above one's personal life and speak from the spirit and heart of a poet and artist?

Pennyfortheguy
Strange Creature
Joined 21st Jan 2017
Forum Posts: 1

This duality is,I think,central to the cognitive dissonance that I feel an artist struggles with.
As Freud and Jung address issues that artists either consciously struggle with,or unconsciously manifest in their creative life,I think that both writers have credence.
      Sometimes,in my everyday life ,I can feel good,but then I sit at the Piano,and the harmonics ,phrasing,textures and dynamics that I play appear to be a paradox of my other self so to speak.
    So,in conclusion,your thoughts in this essay are salient to me as an artist.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Umm
Dangerous Mind
1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 2387

I hope im narcissistic enough to be a good artist someday.

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

It's true, being creative is part of being human, and so is being destructive; our polar opposite to our creative feminine side.

The perception or stereotype troubled artist; the cursed being, has been around for a thousand years and only recently have there been proper studies into the connection between creativity and mental health.

Some studies have found that artists and writers are more creative when they're feeling positive.

So if poets write poems because it makes them feel good, then why is the poet so cursed? why do they suffer from depression and bipolar? Are we too attuned to our emotions and the world around us?

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013

Umm said:I hope im narcissistic enough to be a good artist someday.

You are the Mother Teresa of poets, Umm. 😏

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
dartford
Paul S...
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 29awards
Joined 13th June 2013
Forum Posts: 249

don't think poets, whatever they are, see anything more
than anyone else
it's just writing about it
is what they do...

Umm
Dangerous Mind
1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 2387

case28 said:

You are the Mother Teresa of poets, Umm. 😏

am not

Astyanax
Ceejay
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 23rd Feb 2010
Forum Posts: 748

dartford said:don't think poets, whatever they are, see anything more
than anyone else
it's just writing about it
is what they do...

Thank you, dartford - a morsel of much-needed common sense as a timely antidote to all the 'I'm a poet so I'm really sensitive' preening. Poets take raw materials, in their case words, and make something with them. So do a bricklayer, a baker and a dressmaker. All of them may produce a thing of beauty or a pile of crap. Don't be precious about it.

absinthe
Fats
Fire of Insight
Philippines 7awards
Joined 27th Dec 2013
Forum Posts: 38

I would like to add this to the reading

Touched with Fire: Manic-Depressive Illness and the Artistic Temperament
Paperback – October 18, 1996
by Kay Redfield Jamison (Author)
https://www.amazon.com/Touched-Fire-Manic-Depressive-Artistic-Temperament/dp/068483183X

I am unable to write since taking anti-depressant and anti-psychotic medicine. I am able to work better on the farm though.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

case28 said:

Some studies have found that artists and writers are more creative when they're feeling positive.

So if poets write poems because it makes them feel good, then why is the poet so cursed? why do they suffer from depression and bipolar? Are we too attuned to our emotions and the world around us?

I will write whether feeling positive or negative, it depends whether I have anything in my head that wants to get out.

I suffer none of the above, I kick depression right in the face if it tries to get into my mind door.  Never never had bipolar. More to the point, I don't do drugs or drink, so I'm pretty much in control of my mind these past years. Managed to deal with the mental scars left from past relationships and become quite indifferent to said past.

I'm very rarely down in the dumps (can't remember the last time I was) or feeling heartbroken because someone doesn't love me anymore, etc, etc.

Erm, does that mean I'm not a creative writer/artist person after all?  

Astyanax
Ceejay
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 23rd Feb 2010
Forum Posts: 748

Good for you, Magdalena ( beautiful name!). You don't have to be in a lather of despair or overwrought emotions to create fine poetry. The topic did remind me, however, of the opening of Philip Larkin's wonderful poem, 'This Be The Verse':

'They fuck you up, your mum and dad.  
They may not mean to, but they do.  
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.'

In a very funny lecture on creativity, Alan Bennett quoted the first two lines, then  said: .The trouble is, if they don't fuck you up, you've got nothing to write about.'

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

Thank you Astyanax.  It's my middle name (birth name) :)

AndreasWicked
Le serpent
Twisted Dreamer
Russia
Joined 23rd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 52

What  defines  a modern  poet ?  What  is  a poet ?  Probably  the  most general  answer would  be  the following :  a  poet  is  a person  who writes  poetry, all the  rest  is  subjective.  People  still  keep   to  old , out of  date  concepts about  everything .  Why  should a poet be always  weathered  by ever-lasting storm ? Does neurosis have anything  to do with poetry ?

Go to page:
Go to: