Tyrant of Words
United States 119awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 15842

Poetry Contest

April is the cruelest month.
CO-HOST: JohnnyBlaze

April is the cruelest month.

It is also National Poetry Writing Month, which is the gruelest challenge.

Yes, Johnny made that word up.

Your challenge, should you accept it, is to write one poem a day for the entire month of April.

Should you accomplish this goal, you will be awarded a SPECIAL TROPHY designed by Mistress of the Underground (image forthcoming), and the Poem Worm will make a big hoopla about you on the Facebook.

You will also have the satisfaction of having written 30 poems that we will be happy to help you hone in the Critique Series after the challenge.

The RULES:

Each entry must

- be copied and pasted into the forum. Linking directly to Your Submitted Poems is not be allowed.

- have a Title

- be a minimum of 10 lines

- be a minimum of 100 "unique" words, meaning repeated words count as 1 one word. If you use the word the 7 times, it counts as 1.

But WAIT!!!

50% OFF SALE! SALE!! SALE!!!

For a limited time only, if you participate in the NapoWrimo during the month of April, you will only be required to write poems that are 50 "unique" words in length!

10 line minimum still applies, so act now before this offer expires!

More RULES

You may not return to edit your entries to correct spelling errors or bad grammar or to make improvements. We don't care if your entries are imperfect. We only care that you write new poems.

If you want to share your entries with DUP, you may simultaneously submit your entries through the DU Submit function and revise those at any time to your heart's content.

In the event of a power or Internets outage or some other life altering catastrophe, you will be allowed to catch up by posting 2 poems the following day.

Since this is a National competition that DUP is participating in, there will be no off-topic posts or spam. Any such posts will be removed.

Challenge begins at Midnight April 1st.

Ready. Set. Go.

mel44
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 10awards
Joined 3rd Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 321

Wow. Now that is a challenge. If we write for another competition but it meets the criteria, can we submit to both?

poet Anonymous

mel44 said:Wow. Now that is a challenge. If we write for another competition but it meets the criteria, can we submit to both?

Yes.

seekingkate
kateA
Tyrant of Words
Australia 28awards
Joined 20th May 2014
Forum Posts: 2081

Just to clarify as you called it National Poetry Writing Month..

This is a DU comp and any DU member from anywhere in the world can participate, yes?

Ahavati
Tams
Tyrant of Words
United States 119awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

seekingkate said:Just to clarify as you called it National Poetry Writing Month..

This is a DU comp and any DU member from anywhere in the world can participate, yes?

Absolutely! Anyone who completes the challenge will be awarded a trophy (sneak preview coming later today)!

The official name is "National Poetry Writing Month". DUP is participating as a site.

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 5134

I am so excited to get started on this!  I've participated in many WriMos over the years that I feel my anticipation hit the ceiling each time one is about to begin!  I tell people all the time how these month-long challenges are great workouts for poets, both new & experienced.  Don't worry, you'll feel exhilarated at the finish line, so don't panic - and have fun!  See you in a couple more days, I can't wait!

Oh! And btw, you're 3 hrs ahead of me, which has me needing to ask:
For those of us living in different time zones around the globe, and the competition begins midnight on April 1st, which time zone do we go by?  Enquiring minds are scratching their heads with their pens.

And thanks very much!

poet Anonymous

Jade-Pandora said:

Oh! And btw, you're 3 hrs ahead of me, which has me needing to ask:
For those of us living in different time zones around the globe, and the competition begins midnight on April 1st, which time zone do we go by?  Enquiring minds are scratching their heads with their pens.

And thanks very much!

Whenever April begins wherever you are at is fine with us.

DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 18awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 1391

I have participated in NaPoWriMo for the past several years, but only on a personal blog. It will be fun to be participate in a group.

Has to be at least 10 lines and 100 words? Just as much labor can go into a short poem as a longer piece. Ah well, rules are made to be followed.

poet Anonymous

DaisyGrace said:I have participated in NaPoWriMo for the past several years, but only on a personal blog. It will be fun to be participate in a group.

Has to be at least 10 lines and 100 words? Just as much labor can go into a short poem as a longer piece. Ah well, rules are made to be followed.

Welcome, DaisyGrace!

Ahavati
Tams
Tyrant of Words
United States 119awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Thank you for joining us, DaisyGrace! I look forward to seeing your posts!

Now - as promised - a sneak preview of the specially designed DU Glory Trophy, designed by Mistress of the Underground, for each participant who completes the challenge!

Let the good times roll!

poet Anonymous

50% OFF SALE! SALE!! SALE!!!

For a limited time only, if you participate in the NapoWrimo during the month of April, you will only be required to write poems that are 50 "unique" words in length!

10 line minimum still applies, so act now before this offer expires!

Ahavati
Tams
Tyrant of Words
United States 119awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

^

LMAO!! I'll edit the guidelines!

poet Anonymous

Less than 48 hours to go until the NaPoWriMo and you might be struggling
to come up with fresh ideas.

A method of generating new poetry I often use is substituting the music of a familiar song with words.

Have you ever heard the Star Spangled Banner played with an electric guitar?  This is simply the opposite of what I'm suggesting; convert melodies or rhythms into phrases.

Whole pieces of Classical Music can be transformed in this fashion into epic poems.

Try humming a familiar tune and see if any words naturally fall into place.

DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 18awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 1391

JohnnyBlaze said:

A method of generating new poetry I often use is substituting the music of a familiar song with words.

What a neat idea! I may have to throw that into my bag of tricks for this month.

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

It's gonna be a party ...

Go to page:
Go to: