Poetry competition CLOSED 1st September 2020 3:34pm
WINNER
DanielChristensen (The Fire Elemental)
View Profile Poems by DanielChristensen
rosette

Go to page:

Poem of the month: August

poet Anonymous

You are entirely missing the point. Good poetry is good poetry. It shouldn’t matter a shit if it’s audio, visual or written in alien spunk on a cave wall. People voted for it. I genuinely don’t see what the beef is.

Calamity didn’t vote for it. People did.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 117awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14931

Miss_Sub said:You are entirely missing the point. Good poetry is good poetry. It shouldn’t matter a shit if it’s audio, visual or written in alien spunk on a cave wall. People voted for it. I genuinely don’t see what the beef is.

Calamity didn’t vote for it. People did.

No; I'm not missing the point. If guidelines are bollocks, then why do you disqualify so many from your own comps for not following them? Wouldn't that be considered "nitpicking" by your own standards here?

Why do we have a spoken word comp? Why was it created? Because anonymous voting is impossible with a spoken word piece due to the avatar showing in the video.

The new member comp was created to offset the same old members winning every time. It gave them a fair shot at winning something.

But, regardless of the above, the bottom line is this - this competition had guidelines. Clear guidelines that were violated by allowing a spoken word piece to stand during the voting.

I don't understand what is so difficult about that to understand. Changing the rules in the middle or end of a comp without announcing it is hardly fair to anyone else nominating.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

I voted in this comp and even though I voted for another entry, Daniel's is both spoken and written.
Because it is linked here directly from his profile it only shows the spoken word. A better way of entering it would have been to copy and paste the text in. Too late on this comp now though.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 117awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Magdalena said:I voted in this comp and even though I voted for another entry, Daniel's is both spoken and written.
Because it is linked here directly from his profile it only shows the spoken word. A better way of entering it would have been to copy and paste the text in. Too late on this comp now though.

Exactly, Magdalena, thank you. I agree the poem was beautiful. Crimsin noted she loved Daniel and that it wasn't personal because it's not personal ( nor political ).  

Going forward let's have some clarity on the guidelines and follow them.

poet Anonymous

Ahavati said:

No; I'm not missing the point. If guidelines are bollocks, then why do you disqualify so many from your own comps for not following them? Wouldn't that be considered "nitpicking" by your own standards here?

Why do we have a spoken word comp? Why was it created? Because anonymous voting is impossible with a spoken word piece due to the avatar showing in the video.

The new member comp was created to offset the same old members winning every time. It gave them a fair shot at winning something.

But, regardless of the above, the bottom line is this - this competition had guidelines. Clear guidelines that were violated by allowing a spoken word piece to stand during the voting.

I don't understand what is so difficult about that to understand. Changing the rules in the middle or end of a comp without announcing it is hardly fair to anyone else nominating.

How I run my comps is my prerogative. Just like how calamity runs her comps is her prerogative. Calamity’s comp. Not yours.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 117awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

What I find so fascinating to observe from a psychological standpoint, BB, is how you write so much like Missy at times, and then as the BB I have always known at other times ( lack of punctuation and more poetically formatted ).

Short answer ( as previously stated ): I helped create the poem of the month comp; thus, I understand it like the back of my hand. I have even been asked to run it in between hosts because I understand it so much.

I hate to see something that was created to positively highlight DU poets cause so much discord for nothing. And what I mean by nothing is that the guidelines were violated in this competition. It has nothing to do with anyone personally or politically.

And those questioning that are not "nitpicking bullshit".  This is a site-sponsored comp. EVERY member has a right to a say or suggestion.

This used to be so easy. Such a joy.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 117awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Miss_Sub said:

How I run my comps is my prerogative. Just like how calamity runs her comps is her prerogative. Calamity’s comp. Not yours.

You're absolutely right. Except the difference is that one comp is yours, the other represents the DU as a whole. Thus, the whole, just as you and "BB" have a right to input your opinion.

poet Anonymous

Ahavati said:

What I find so fascinating to observe from a psychological standpoint, BB, is how you write so much like Missy at times, and then as the BB I know at other times ( lack of punctuation and more poetically formatted )

Ethan has his own life and brain. Thanks.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 117awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Magdalena said:I voted in this comp and even though I voted for another entry, Daniel's is both spoken and written.

You know, that provokes a stellar idea. If a spoken word piece is going to be nominated, perhaps the poet can temporarily remove the video link from their page until after the voting? Or, perhaps right before the competition ends? Something like that. I dunno.

Maybe Webmiss can even implement something along the lines in this comp which could prevent video links. That would solve the issue completely by allowing only the written word to be nominated. That would solve everything.

poet Anonymous

I can see time isn’t being wasted, on listening to the podcast, so Ahavati’s statement about BB being Missy, I can verify that it isn’t the same person.

No hate in any direction.
Time is precious after all.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 117awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

dustyJournals said:I can see time isn’t being wasted, on listening to the podcast, so Ahavati’s statement about BB being Missy, I can verify that it isn’t the same person.

No hate in any direction.
Time is precious after all.

LOL!

I know BB is a real person, DJ. I merely noted his fluctuating styles of writing ( at times ).

poet Anonymous

I see.
Can’t remember which episode it was, but I only heard said person say hello with a few others, then got to watching another video lol.

You’re not wrong, about the competitions though and what you’ve said.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 117awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

dustyJournals said:I see.
Can’t remember which episode it was, but I only heard said person say hello with a few others, then got to watching another video lol.

You’re not wrong, about the competitions though and what you’ve said.

Thank you. Much appreciated.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Go to page:
Go to: