WINNER
DanielChristensen (The Fire Elemental)
View Profile Poems by DanielChristensen
rosette

Go to page:

Poem of the month: August

poet Anonymous

Sickened love

He is, my greatest and only habitual addiction, but I am not his....
​He voyages on the whims of sins shaken from the Devil's hooves.
​My cries mistaken for rain on this fogged and
befriended window yet again. It shares of its cracks and
​breaking that mimic the fragments of my once whole heart.
My beautiful youth shown in this window's reflection
​many years. An older more regretful
​face reflects in reply this evening, as I wait to see ​the dust clouds that trails behind his return when home is remembered.

And there he is once again.

Everything I love, in one body, in one exhale of relief, returning to
​the surviving fool. I, the dependent one that keeps
comfort and necessity near and this mirage of marriage, married. I am the wife that wears the ring, sporting the jester's hat.
Vowed in chains that wraps
​its strength around my blackened finger. He will never let me leave.... and I have not​ the will to abandon him as he does me.

​I have found love within misery and
​abandonment within need.... I hold on to what
days belong to me and nights when my
​hands find not emptiness, but loves fond requests
​from the purse of absence, I give in to hope.
I serve him my pleading words on a mirrored platter, he consumes as he does and
spits out another lie between his saddening sorries of meant words and family photos.
My sickened love is my own enemy and
my physical heart must find death to part from this everything of mine.
My frailty and fight lives to lose
another day. And I ? I will allow it to do so within my own twisted familiarity of love gone sour.
May death part us and my love restored to its proper, no matter the introduction. And still, I have yet to see, ​in fear of its depth, if for me, such a hope is even possible...
Written by Darkpoetria (DarkOakPoetry)
Go To Page  

Calamityofgin
Fire of Insight
United States 5awards
Joined 10th May 2020
Forum Posts: 149

Fantastic nominations all around! Thank you everyone.,
I encourage everyone to vote.. and keep up the show of support and appreciation of the fine work here on DU in September

admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards

The winner of this competition and any runners up were decided by public vote.

Thank you to the following members for voting:

DaisyGrace, Poems4me, Blackdove, Frustrated_prole, monkeyman, Ely, Kinkpoet, Josh, Phantom2426, Stoney223, Eerie, Bluevelvete, Marks, JusTim_, LilDragonFly, nomoth, Magdalena, eroseternal, Nevermoretorn, JetNikolai, Jade-Pandora, Valeriyabeyond, summultima, Darkpoetria, AspergerPoet56, TCLilly, LadyRain, Tallen, javalini, nutbuster, _boybrains, SweetKittyCat5

crimsin
Unveiling
Tyrant of Words
United States 121awards
Joined 25th Jan 2011
Forum Posts: 2635

NOTE: The Spoken Word of the Month comp is here:
https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/competitions/read/11384/
Because the vote for this com is anonymous, and spoken word pieces cannot be anonymous due to avatars and voices, we would prefer you nominate those pieces in the appropriate comp above so that voting remains fair.

I love you Daniel but your poem is spoken word I'm wondering if the win still counts?

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14575

crimsin said:NOTE: The Spoken Word of the Month comp is here:
Because the vote for this com is anonymous, and spoken word pieces cannot be anonymous due to avatars and voices, we would prefer you nominate those pieces in the appropriate comp above so that voting remains fair.

I love you Daniel but your poem is spoken word I'm wondering if the win still counts?

It's not supposed to, no. But it's the comp host's responsibility to notify nominators if their nomination doesn't qualify, as well as have any removed that don't meet the comp guidelines before the public vote. While Josh is only holding spoken-word of the month comps bi-monthly now, it shouldn't matter in regards to the anonymity issue with voting.

Because that didn't happen, I have no idea if it would still count. In all fairness to other nominators who followed the guidelines, it shouldn't. . .

DanielChristensen
The Fire Elemental
Tyrant of Words
United States 36awards
Joined 27th Feb 2016
Forum Posts: 239

Ah thank you very much everyone, I really appreciate it. 💖

I suggest contacting the Webmistress or an appropriately empowered site moderator directly with your concerns, which will surely be redressed swiftly, if they have not been already.

Calamityofgin
Fire of Insight
United States 5awards
Joined 10th May 2020
Forum Posts: 149

Awesome piece Daniel. Congratulations and so well deserved.

I suggest people contact the web mistress as well.

My perspective; the piece was nominated because of the quality of the written piece, and it’s impact on the reader. If the audio had been what stood out to the person nominating it, they would have nominated it for spoken word.

I am very proud of you Daniel. It was a deserved win.

poet Anonymous

... Here we go again.

DU politics aside for a second, I’d just like to say it was a great poem. That’s what matters really, doesn’t it.

Edit: Calamity. Thank God somebody said it.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Calamityofgin said:Awesome piece Daniel. Congratulations and so well deserved.

I suggest people contact the web mistress as well.

My perspective; the piece was nominated because of the quality of the written piece, and it’s impact on the reader. If the audio had been what stood out to the person nominating it, they would have nominated it for spoken word.

I am very proud of you Daniel. It was a deserved win.

Then I strongly suggest you change the guidelines to your own competition, Jennifer, as the win clearly violated them.  That's what those who actually followed the guidelines are upset about. It has nothing to do with Daniel personally.

Firstly, the poem was beautiful; however, the voting wasn't anonymous due to the spoken word Avatar, which is exactly why spoken word poems are not allowed in the poem of the month comp. Secondly, Josh has clearly stated that the Spoken Word poetry comps will be bi-monthly vs monthly to allow an adequate number to accrue, and hopefully not clog the voting system.

If you're going to run the comp, then follow your own guidelines and change the link to the spoken word comp each month. Or, at least announce that it will be held bi-monthly, as Josh publicly announced. Because everyone else is following the guidelines.  If you're going to allow spoken word, then anonymous voting is a moot point, as only those with spoken word's avatars will show, making the voting biased.

I could care less, seriously. I just hate to see something  I helped create to positively highlight DU writers put membership off because the guidelines are not being followed by the competition host.

Edit: And Missy, the guidelines are clear. I can understand why some are upset. It's not personal nor political.

poet Anonymous

No. What puts people off is constant nit picking shit like this. But do carry on.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Miss_Sub said:No. What puts people off is constant nit picking shit like this. But do carry on.

I don't think Crimsin was nitpicking by questioning the guideline violation. It's a valid question that needs to be addressed.

Following competition guidelines is not nitpicking ( how many entrants have you disqualified from your own comps for not following guidelines? ). Changing them at the last minute ( after everyone else has followed them ) so a friend can win is.

poet Anonymous

Ahavati said:

Following competition guidelines is not nitpicking. Changing them at the last minute ( after everyone else has followed them ) so a friend can win is.

... So what you’re really saying is (allegedly) calamity let Daniel win because they sometimes comment on each other’s poetry ... So basically don’t nobody talk to anyone else because you’re all at risk of going down !!! 😂.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Miss_Sub said:

... So what you’re really saying is (allegedly) calamity let Daniel win because they sometimes comment on each other’s poetry ... So basically don’t nobody talk to anyone else because you’re all at risk of going down !!! 😂.

Projecting your personal interpretation doesn't equate truth, Missy. What I am saying is this: The competition host violated her own guidelines by allowing a disqualified entrant to win vs removing the entry. Those who are questioning this have every right to without being accused of 'nitpicking'.

poet Anonymous

Not sure how I’m projecting when it’s there in black and white. But ok, sweet.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Miss_Sub said:Not sure how I’m projecting when it’s there in black and white. But ok, sweet.

Yes; it is.

crimsin said:NOTE: The Spoken Word of the Month comp is here:

Go to page:
Go to: