So, how are we all?

SonderNinja
BenjaminEC
Thought Provoker
United States
Joined 22nd May 2022
Forum Posts: 168

Ahavati said:

Thanks for checking in. I've been wondering how you were faring up there, especially given your profession. Happy someone had your back and stood their ground. I've heard a lot of stories about people torn between working to death and getting the work done for the local businesses, as this is one of their busiest seasons. I just cancelled a weekend trip due to the hurricane. I make an annual trek from Lake Lure through Chimney Rock and into Asheville ever year for the leaves.

I wish there was more I could do outside of donations.

Hopefully you can have some time to rest and enjoy the season somewhat now.

Thanks   The before & after photos are absolutely terrifying. All we can really do at this point is brace for the next environmental horror lol Thankfully Milton wasn't the beast it looked like it was going to be. I know it seems strange to some folks, but I'm really hoping for a harsh, snowy winter. It would be make me feel a whole lot better, in an ecological sense

Ahavati
Tams
Tyrant of Words
United States 122awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 16440

SonderNinja said:

Thanks   The before & after photos are absolutely terrifying. All we can really do at this point is brace for the next environmental horror lol Thankfully Milton wasn't the beast it looked like it was going to be. I know it seems strange to some folks, but I'm really hoping for a harsh, snowy winter. It would be make me feel a whole lot better, in an ecological sense

I agree. I was horrified to see the aftermath photos. Some of those business owners lived above their stores, so they've lost business and homes. I viewed a photo of Chimney Rock this morning and was so impressed at the expediency of the cleanup.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 90awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5696

Glad to hear DUP members are safe after the hurricanes.  If anyone is donating to help the communities affected by the storms, seek out local churches or Samaritan's Purse who get your donations directly to those in need-- I keep hearing negative things about Red Cross and FEMA.

Also consider donating to local animal shelters both in the Carolinas and Florida as well as your own area.  Animals are also displaced and are being transported to other areas of the country.

I just adopted a hurricane survivor kitty, yesterday, who was rescued from the floods in the Carolinas.  He's 2 years old , got adopted then returned by an owner who expected too much too soon from him and he's pictured here.  He's had a traumatic month, but is in his forever home now, with me.

I named him Ruska (pronounced ROO-skuh), which is a Finnish word that describes the timeframe in Autumn when the foliage is at peak color, bright and still on the trees, which is right now, where I live.  

Ruska is cat #6 for me and is settling in well with my other cats who are also rescues for different reasons such as being saved from kill-shelters, life in abandoned factories, etc.  

So remember the animals in need,  too!

Go to page:
Go to: