Go to page:

Dear Newbies ..please read this

poet Anonymous

Welcome, first of all

it is very easy to arrive here at DUP with loads of talent and heaps of stuff worth saying and reading
and go completely unnoticed

then you might resort to starting a thread asking people what they think and get a lot of not easily comprehensible venomous responses

or worse, to giving up writing and assuming you don't have "it"
(although I think most writers with any talent feel this way at times, regardless. )

it is also easy to arrive here at DUP with not a lick of talent and nothing worth saying or reading
AND get loads of attention and praise

YES, there are cliques everywhere and poetry always attracts crazy even if it does not always attract talent

and like attracts like, and so on.... THEY always go away

So, what IS my point?
read the work of other writers on the site and comment
stick with it- this place goes through phases like the writers themselves

sometimes we can't even answer comments for one reason or another for a long while...
sometimes we don't have time (or whatever) to read even our favorites that we follow..and when you've been here a while that can be quite a few...

just keep reading and writing and commenting
and we'll get around to you if you do have "it"

and there are lots of types of "it" and everyone has different tastes and definitions for what "it" is

but, if you write because you can't help it
because it is natural (whether sharing it is or not)

stick around
:-)

we'll find ya!

poet Anonymous

Bravo!!
May I add: Do not use other member names in your poetry if the poem is derogatory. Most who do this do not show good character or intelligence. They usually don't even know the person they are putting down.
I for one think poems of admiration dedicated to specified names  are far more enjoyable than the poems which insult people, no matter how vividly those flames of hate are burning on the screen.

poet Anonymous

AH2
I'd say that is a really bad way for anyone to behave on here
and few who have behaved that way have lasted...
I'd get permission even for the "odes of admiration"
because even those have been used abusively on here..
thank you for your input

Anyone else wants to add any constructive stuff for the newcomers=feel free

poet Anonymous

Please don't send PM's asking members to 'check out my stuff'. They never get read. I will always be more inclined to check out the poet after a good comment on a poem. Be thoughtful, and you will get thoughtful back.

poet Anonymous

I have to give all the Kudos to Missy on that information..HEED her advice!
I got another one of those pm's "I want you to read my stuff", last week
and my response (which it's a surprise they got) was worthy of the VERY unkind message they sent back afterwards...

It is simply rude...if you'd like a writer to read your work-you want them to be in the mood and the best way to lure them into when they are in said mood is to read their work and comment thoughtfully. If you don't show that you ACTUALLY respect their opinion, you may as well be just one more attention seeking problem.

thank you, Missy

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5602

I'll add in a few things too:

1. Don't come here if you're looking to troll and/or be a spammer--that is unwelcome, unacceptable here and will get you banned.

2. If you've been banned previously, there was a reason for it, so think twice about coming back as a newbie account--behavior patterns tend to repeat.

3. Don't be soliciting others for dates, marriage proposals, sex hook ups --this isn't a dating website.

4. Do not plagiarize--EVER! Aside from the fact that this is thievery, no one is  impressed by words that aren't your own. Work on developing your own writing talent and you'll earn more respect and friends in our community that way. Also if you post elsewhere online under different usernames, it would be a good idea to make mention of that in your profile, so as people are reading your work, the accusations of plagiarism don't start flying when someone recognizes/finds a piece on another website. It'll save everyone a lot of grief and you from getting banned and/or having your soul sucked out and eaten as punishment for plagiarism.

violet
Vi
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 6awards
Joined 13th Feb 2011
Forum Posts: 2523

And then there's the cockroach problem...

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

that sound of gun click is usually heard from CLIQUE gangstas. lol.  Usually it's rubber bullets they fire.

kriticool
Fire of Insight
32awards
Joined 1st Nov 2011
Forum Posts: 596

miki

got mucho respect for you. love how you manage to find ways to contribute to this site artistically as well as objectively with such FLARE-nuss. Always can depend on you to shine a light into the spooky closet. Reminding us there may be space within going unused and or misused. It's almost funny, because within reason, everyone has the key to the closet, although the closet is left unlocked

Now, my dear lady, allow me the next dance

'THEM' THOUGHTS

In the beginning, we had a hunch about them.
Newbies ignored, unexplored are like invites to them
Yeah, we could do without a bunch of them
To lunch wit them???
Fuck that...we’d rather crunch & munch on them
Bunch of cunts are them
Talking points seem like weeks, those weak writes in them
Each verse, we curse the perverse in them
Verbs first, then nouns; a Poe Hearse for them
Drop ‘em off, chopped up and their pens wit them
How we know when to go? We wrote, still write the same as them
These-Poets thinking they knowing it like the Best of Them
Keeping conflict in & outta context our shared fame with them
And with that said, the thread’s fed kriticool thoughts on them

The End

poet Anonymous

Madame Lavender , thank you for those excellent points. I can only hold hope that certain "people" take heed. Thank you kindly for that contribution
Vi....:-)

crazy admirer-you have me lost

and my dear old friend, Kriticool
thank you for the kind words and appreciation
I do try when I'm able and I am glad to have inspired something and even had you go  all poetic..that chair has always been empty and you often seem pretty gone-But, you are so right there! I love the contradiction in that irony

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6705

Its take time to get used to this place, to get to know other poets, other styles, and the shifting landscape of the forum's topics. However competitions can be won by anyone, but users who have been here longer have a more of an idea what the competition will ask for. So if you're new and you don't win, do not give up, and it is not a case where longer-time users are sure to win from the start.

Feel free to be cheeky and in your face and be yourself but remember that until other people get to know you better they may take it the wrong way and cause a whole load of unnecessary fuss.

johnrot
Tyrant of Words
21awards
Joined 10th Oct 2012
Forum Posts: 3645

just do what you do......if nobody likes fuck em.....

bein real is way heavier than bein accepted.........

Zazzles
Broomie
Tyrant of Words
United States 24awards
Joined 23rd Nov 2013
Forum Posts: 1781

Excellent Letter really helpful, you're always thinking lady ")
(((((Miki))))))

DarkinDreams
Strange Creature
United States 1awards
Joined 15th June 2014
Forum Posts: 4

Really glad that this is here helps me a lot thanks love

Go to page:
Go to: