Go to page:

Official DUP NAPOWRIMO (National Poetry Writing Month) 2017

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

I haven't written any poetry for days and I feel like an unproductive slug.

Yet I'm still averaging over a poem a day in submits for May so far.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 117awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14839

JohnnyBlaze said:I haven't written any poetry for days and I feel like an unproductive slug.

Yet I'm still averaging over a poem a day in submits for May so far.

* Cracks the Whip *

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 117awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Ahavati said:

* Cracks the Whip *

Addendum: On EVERYONE who hasn't submitted how NaPo helped them grow as a writer!

whale
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 24awards
Joined 9th Dec 2013
Forum Posts: 233

Looking back over the last month or so, it's extraordinary how the intensity of the DUP challenge for NAPOWRIMO has strengthened and increased the flexibility of my poetry muscles - it has helped me to alter my literal logic

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 117awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

whale said:Looking back over the last month or so, it's extraordinary how the intensity of the DUP challenge for NAPOWRIMO has strengthened and increased the flexibility of my poetry muscles - it has helped me to alter my literal logic

Thank you, Brother!

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5602

How about next year, give it a twist with an assigned topic for each day of the month--you could reveal them all at the start of the month, so people can plan?

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 32awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6705

A possible feature for next year would be that of being able to submit draft versions, so that they can be tweaked later on if needed and improved to the highest degree later but having the original already counting as an entry to satisfy the one a day approach. Having multiple threads in order to cover each day would also help keep the catch-up down to a minimum, and possibly allow for a host's choice or voted-for 'best of' to spread the spotlight around.

The challenge itself is definitely not a walk in the park, well it wasn't for me. It did not suddenly open up the floodgates of inspiration as hoped, nor did it make poems that I was always happy or proud with, but it is definitely something that tested my limits as a poet and writer. Maybe it did not make me stronger, but it made me more tenacious; there is something pleasing in looking back a time where you were hard pressed but you kept on going and did not give up.

Hepcat61
geoff cat
Dangerous Mind
United States 33awards
Joined 27th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 1028

I am in!

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 5134

MadameLavender said:How about next year, give it a twist with an assigned topic for each day of the month--you could reveal them all at the start of the month, so people can plan?
I’ve done the WriMo at other sites where groups will come up with lists of promps for those who could use ideas to recharge the muse.  But none of it is set in stone, that they are to write each day with pre-chosen prompt.  I’ve done the WriMo for years, every year.  Your suggestion will be helpful to members I know are nervous about committing for a month when they’re inexperienced with pacing themselves through a challenge that suddenly seems insurmountable, even for experienced writers.  So let’s please keep this open for those of us who work well creatively with promps & themes that for me is like plucking an apple from a tree:  I see it, reach, pick the fruit from the branch, and enjoy the flavor it lends to my new generation of WriMo babies.  I know that’s an awkward analogy but it works.  And thanks for hearing me.  Believe me, I’m ready.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Hepcat61 said:I am in!

You want to announce that in the 2018 competition thread.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 117awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Jade-Pandora said:
I’ve done the WriMo at other sites where groups will come up with lists of promps for those who could use ideas to recharge the muse.  But none of it is set in stone, that they are to write each day with pre-chosen prompt.  I’ve done the WriMo for years, every year.  Your suggestion will be helpful to members I know are nervous about committing for a month when they’re inexperienced with pacing themselves through a challenge that suddenly seems insurmountable, even for experienced writers.  So let’s please keep this open for those of us who work well creatively with promps & themes that for me is like plucking an apple from a tree:  I see it, reach, pick the fruit from the branch, and enjoy the flavor it lends to my new generation of WriMo babies.  I know that’s an awkward analogy but it works.  And thanks for hearing me.  Believe me, I’m ready.

We took this into consideration last year, and already have a full list of prompts we will be releasing soon.

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 5134

Ahavati said:

We took this into consideration last year, and already have a full list of prompts we will be releasing soon.

Right, and no worries as long as it’s a choice made freely by those who want or need to reference the list for themselves. Thanks!🤟😗

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 117awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Jade-Pandora said:
Right, and no worries as long as it’s a choice made freely by those who want or need to reference the list for themselves. Thanks!🤟😗

Pretty certain it would've been in the competition rules that one must adhere to a daily prompt if it wasn't going to be a choice, Jade. However, we may dust off our whips and chains nonetheless. 🔏🚔

Since this thread has been resurrected, the 2018 NaPo/GloMoWriMo is here:

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/competitions/read/10143/

GumboGirl
Strange Creature
Joined 25th Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 2

I'm in.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 117awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015