United States 121awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 16258

Poetry Contest

Day of the Dead

Winners:

2023: crimsin

Guidelines:

1. Describe your opinion and/or experience regarding this observation. This can be literal or imaginary. For example, how you would like to observe but have not had the opportunity.

2. Write from the perspective of a dead soul rejoining their family. What would you say to your loved ones?

Rules:

• From the above guideline topics, you may enter ONE poem for EACH topic.

• List which topic you've chosen for which poem in the author's note.

• New writes only.

• Spoken word permitted.

• Visual entries permitted ( keep in mind that the more words you use for a visual the more difficult it will be to read. Not being able to easily read it will be a deal-breaker. ).

• Let's limit this to around 150 words ( I mean if it's 160 I'm not going to disqualify you ).

I will be selecting the Winners. Best of luck to each of you. More information below.

The Day of the Dead (el Día de los Muertos), is a Mexican holiday where families welcome back the souls of their deceased relatives for a brief reunion that includes food, drink and celebration.

A blend of Mesoamerican ritual, European religion and Spanish culture, the holiday is celebrated each year from October 31-November 2. While October 31 is Halloween, November 2 is All Souls Day or the Day of the Dead. According to tradition, the gates of heaven are opened at midnight on October 31 and the spirits of children can rejoin their families for 24 hours. The spirits of adults can do the same on November 2.

According to Mexicans, the Way to Mictlán (Place of the Dead) was a four-year crossing that the dead should make; it consisted of going through nine levels full of obstacles to finally free themselves from their tonalli, their soul, and achieve the longed rest. This course didn't distinguish social classes.

Read more here: https://www.history.com/topics/halloween/day-of-the-dead#How%20Is%20The%20Day%20of%20The%20Dead%20celebrated?

Page:
Go to: