Truth.

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 41awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1813

I'm not sure if it's inspirational, but it inspires understanding:

https://wrdunn.substack.com/p/the-roots-of-trumpism?publication_id=1083645&post_id=146899240&isFreemail=true&r=33iv10&triedRedirect=true&utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

Shelby Foote, The Civil War, A Narrative, Vol. 3, Red River to Appomattox, (1974; Vintage Books, 1986), p. 755.

"Stephens delivered his “Cornerstone” speech on March 21, 1861. Criticizing the American founders, who believed in the equality of races, he said this: “Our new government [the Confederacy] is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.” Belief in white supremacy has lasted into the 21st century, although it is now indulged more quietly than the proud trumpeting of Stephens, most of the time."

RyanBlackborough
Surprise guest
Twisted Dreamer
Australia
Joined 11th June 2024
Forum Posts: 31

"Psychological manipulation apparent to some,  working on others." -Ryan Blackborough

Ahavati
Tams
Tyrant of Words
United States 119awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 15906

"At first women were so incredibly strong and the bonds between and among us so indissoluble, that these tactics alone could never have succeeded. Our eventual subjugation was accomplished, as all seasoning is accomplished, by a lethal combination of brainwashing and terrorism.

It was the slow work of many, many centuries to tame us, to persuade us that this captivity, violence, and isolation was in our best interests, that it meant that we were loved and respected, that it was pleasant, that we liked it, that we wanted it, that we couldn’t live without it, and—the ultimate doublespeak—that it was freedom.”

~ Sonia Johnson, The Ship That Sailed into the Living Room; Sex and Intimacy Reconsidered

Ahavati
Tams
Tyrant of Words
United States 119awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Angels unawares. . .

“In mythos and fairy tales, deities and other great spirits test the hearts of humans by showing up in various forms that disguise their divinity. They show up in robes, rags, silver sashes, or with muddy feet. They show up with skin dark as old wood, or in scales made of rose petal, as a frail child, as a lime-yellow old woman, as a man who cannot speak, or as an animal who can. The great powers are testing to see if humans have yet learned to recognize the greatness of soul in all its varying forms.”

― Clarissa Pinkola Estés, Women Who Run With the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype

poet Anonymous

Ahavati said:Angels unawares. . .

“In mythos and fairy tales, deities and other great spirits test the hearts of humans by showing up in various forms that disguise their divinity. They show up in robes, rags, silver sashes, or with muddy feet. They show up with skin dark as old wood, or in scales made of rose petal, as a frail child, as a lime-yellow old woman, as a man who cannot speak, or as an animal who can. The great powers are testing to see if humans have yet learned to recognize the greatness of soul in all its varying forms.”

― Clarissa Pinkola Estés, Women Who Run With the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype

Wow, I believe this immediately, it echoes how I feel. I hope to learn better recognition. Thanks so much for sharing this ❣

Ahavati
Tams
Tyrant of Words
United States 119awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Ms_LaCarte said:

Wow, I believe this immediately, it echoes how I feel. I hope to learn better recognition. Thanks so much for sharing this ❣

You're very welcome. If you have not read that book, I highly recommend it. It will change your life.

Ahavati
Tams
Tyrant of Words
United States 119awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

"I worry we are more enmeshed in a colossal collective trauma than we even realize—the grief process will be unlike anything we have ever witnessed before.

It is more important than ever for each of us to hold our trauma, grief and rage closely. We must feel it. We must heal it. And we must act to stop the genocides happening around the world.

I am heartened by Joanna Macy’s words. “The sorrow, grief, and rage you feel is a measure of your humanity and your evolutionary maturity. As your heart breaks open there will be room for the world to heal.“

May every mother who has lost a child be rocked in the arms of the Great Mother.

May our collective keening ring so shrill that those who are holding the weapons take a deep pause, lay them down, and find their humanity again."

~ Trista Hendren, excerpt from Wounded Feminine: Grieving with Goddess

Art by Mamdouh Kashlan

moon_bather
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 15th June 2024
Forum Posts: 7

"The past is a ghost that never truly leaves us."

-Raymond Reddington, The Blacklist.

Ahavati
Tams
Tyrant of Words
United States 119awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

The physician is effective only when he himself is affected. Only the wounded physician heals.  🙏 ~ Jung

We heal ourselves through healing others.

Detritus
Clay
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 9th Aug 2023
Forum Posts: 67

“ We get used to things too easily. You think somethings tasty the first time you eat it, but then you start to take it for granted. Never forget your first impressions”

From the book - Kamogawa Food Detectives by Hisashi Kashiwai

I have found this sentiment to be true with many things.

Clay

Ahavati
Tams
Tyrant of Words
United States 119awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

The reason I am animated by an alive, active hope is because of this one truth, still a secret to too many. And that is this: that all suffering ripens into surrender. The process of surrender is opening the channel that we are for the creative flow of the genius of grace. This process can be delayed but never thwarted. Joy is ours to the degree we participate in this process, but ultimately, in the deepest sense, there is nothing to fear. Understanding this is how to live so that no matter the calamity, the core of our light never trembles. God awaits us at the bottom of our grief, emerges as grace.

Chelan Harkin

Ahavati
Tams
Tyrant of Words
United States 119awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

. . .

Ahavati
Tams
Tyrant of Words
United States 119awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

"The earth, that first among good mothers, gives us the gift that we cannot provide ourselves.
I hadn't realized that I had come to the lake and said feed me, but my empty heart was fed.
I had a good mother.
She gives what we need without being asked.
I wonder if she gets tired, Old Mother Earth.
Or if she too is fed by the giving.
'Thanks,' 'I whispered, 'for all of this.'"

~ Robin Wall Kimmerer, excerpt from "Braiding Sweetgrass"

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 41awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1813

Ahavati said:The reason I am animated by an alive, active hope is because of this one truth, still a secret to too many. And that is this: that all suffering ripens into surrender. The process of surrender is opening the channel that we are for the creative flow of the genius of grace. This process can be delayed but never thwarted. Joy is ours to the degree we participate in this process, but ultimately, in the deepest sense, there is nothing to fear. Understanding this is how to live so that no matter the calamity, the core of our light never trembles. God awaits us at the bottom of our grief, emerges as grace.

Chelan Harkin

That's a great quote, thank you. It seems to be the way things work. In the end we have to surrender to that which is the greater scheme of things, and (somewhat reluctantly) after nearly seven decades on this planet, I have to admit (from personal experience) that suffering provides a significant opportunity to surrender ... and then you watch 'the right thing do itself' - which is sometimes uncomfortable, sometimes joyous, but always cultivates new life and vitality. This truism though is easily distorted into some crass statement like 'suffering is good for you', thereby legitimising violence.

Go to page:
Go to: