if it was just me.....absolutely!

if it was me and my partner....maybe.

me with kids....nope. Nope. NOPE!

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

I admit, it would be a challenge with 30 cats and  3 dogs.

DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 1382

JohnnyBlaze said:I admit, it would be a challenge with 30 cats and  3 dogs.

this, indeed, would present a challenge.

i am actually quite fascinated by this tiny house phenomenon. what fascinates me most is that when affluent people choose to live in a tiny home it's considered fun and cool and trendy and eco friendly. when a poor person has no choice but to live in a trailer/mobile home they are considered nothing more than poor.

I wonder what the difference is.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

DaisyGrace said:

i am actually quite fascinated by this tiny house phenomenon. what fascinates me most is that when affluent people choose to live in a tiny home it's considered fun and cool and trendy and eco friendly. when a poor person has no choice but to live in a trailer/mobile home they are considered nothing more than poor.

It may have something to do with location. Trailer parks versus private lots.

DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017

JohnnyBlaze said:

It may have something to do with location. Trailer parks versus private lots.

but even if the trailer isn't in a trailer park, people sometimes look down their nose at people who live in a trailer. i know around my parts many people have private lots and live in mobile homes. it's just what they can afford, so that's what they chose. but they are somehow less than someone who lived in a big house to start with and chose to downsize dramatically? seems crazy to me.

anyway...ha!

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

DaisyGrace said:

but even if the trailer isn't in a trailer park, people sometimes look down their nose at people who live in a trailer. i know around my parts many people have private lots and live in mobile homes. it's just what they can afford, so that's what they chose. but they are somehow less than someone who lived in a big house to start with and chose to downsize dramatically? seems crazy to me.

anyway...ha!

I know what you mean.

The more money one has, the more it is perceived as a lifestyle choice as opposed to being perceived as having no choice whatsoever.

If you are poor, you had to settle for less. If you have less, you are "obviously" poor until you open up your wallet and reveal its contents. Or park a Jaguar in your tiny driveway.

LOL its all fucked up.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

What I like most about them is the ingenuity that goes into making the most out of limited space. Like tables that fold out of walls and cabinetry underneath bed box springs and mattresses.

DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017

JohnnyBlaze said:What I like most about them is the ingenuity that goes into making the most out of limited space. Like tables that fold out of walls and cabinetry underneath bed box springs and mattresses.

yes! that is what i like most about them as well. i like seeing how creative people are when it comes to making their homes habitable, functional, and beautiful.

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2300

i could
or a
tent
Tepee
or a makeshift shelter
or a home like............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWpSVNrt0LU

hemihead
hemi
Dangerous Mind
New Zealand 13awards
Joined 1st Nov 2010
Forum Posts: 1749

I live in a 32 foot yacht. Tiny space describes it well. Everything has to be put away. All spaces have multiple uses. The good thing about a yacht is all the storage spaces. I love it. There is an economy and modesty of living that really suits my thinking on how much earth we need to use. If I want to bring something on to the boat, something has to come off to make way for it. This really cuts down on the amount of crap you buy.

I’ve just built a house, and have followed the same principle. It is high-specced, but the costs of doing that are low because there isn’t much of it.

There is no question we need to move away from big inefficient houses, but that doesn’t mean any sacrifices if the space is well thought out.

Unlikely I’ll ever go back to the land, but if I do, it will be to somewhere like the house I built.

Small is beautiful.

hemihead
hemi
Dangerous Mind
New Zealand 13awards
Joined 1st Nov 2010
Forum Posts: 1749

DaisyGrace said:

The difference is quality of the space. A small and well thought out space is a beautiful experience.

A trailer home with no insulation l, parked on a roadside is a poverty prison.

calamitygin
Jennifer Michael McCurry
Tyrant of Words
United States 28awards
Joined 22nd June 2015
Forum Posts: 2047

Oh...i thought this read "tiny horse" and had a whole opinion on tiny Vs big, and in regards to Trojans. ...

But yes....i could dig a tiny house.

You know there was an ol lady, lived in a shoe....

DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017

hemihead said:

The difference is quality of the space. A small and well thought out space is a beautiful experience.

A trailer home with no insulation l, parked on a roadside is a poverty prison.

i agree with this assessment.

but...

take the word 'poor' out of the equation.

so we have people who choose to live in a trailer/mobile home because that's what they choose. They have assessed their situation, made the choice to live in a trailer, it's a well thought out space, and they like it. They are then lumped in with all the other trailer inhabitants, and maybe this is just a bred in stereotype for my region. someone living in a trailer (even if that is their choice and it is a well thought out space) will automatically be perceived as 'poor' and therefore 'lazy.'

i have heard people say they would rather live in a tiny, not great apartment because they couldn't stand the thought of people knowing they live in a trailer.

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 3572

My old friend's bus...

One of many , many , he converted from 1960's to 90's...

Silverbear was his name...grand old school hippie ,
who met Howard Hughes when he was wandering
in the desert...

http://web.archive.org/web/20111109042053/http:/www.mrsharkey.com/busbarn/patchs/patchs.htm

Rolling Homes pictures :

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAKSOU_enUS871&sxsrf=ALeKk01VoZmLUeBkTlrgA9dsPQ0srilyQw:1586202409219&q=Rolling+Homes&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjfuJK5yNToAhVTMn0KHWEkBwoQ7Al6BAgJECk&biw=1366&bih=6

He was one of the one's responsible for the original
school bus , and flatbed conversions of the hippie era...

Last I saw him...1990's , in his newest conversion project...

Go to page:
Go to: