Ahavati
Tams
Tyrant of Words
United States 121awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 16144

In honor of Banned Book Week: https://bannedbooksweek.org/

Filmmaker Ava DuVernay to Lead Banned Books Week as Honorary Chair
Award-winning filmmaker Ava DuVernay has been named honorary chair for Banned Books Week 2024, which takes place September 22 – 28. DuVernay will be joined by youth honorary chair Julia Garnett, a student activist who fought book bans in her home state of Tennessee.

Casted_Runes
Mr Karswell
Fire of Insight
England 5awards
Joined 4th Oct 2021
Forum Posts: 453

Ahavati said:In honor of Banned Book Week: https://bannedbooksweek.org/

Any favourite banned books, Aha?

Ahavati
Tams
Tyrant of Words
United States 121awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Casted_Runes said:

Any favourite banned books, Aha?

I can't even come close to reviews like yours, CR ( which I thoroughly enjoy, btw ). But in honor of banned book week, I have been reading those books that have been banned or challenged due to their content.

Right now, I am reading Beloved. The movie, considered an American gothic psychological horror, was directed by Jonathan Demme and starred Oprah Winfrey, Danny Glover, and Thandiwe Newton. It's based on the true story of Margaret Gardner, who escaped from slavery with her family in the late 1800's. I read in a review that the complexity of Beloved is largely overlooked in the film; therefore, I've always wanted to read the book.  

1984 by George Orwell is also a good one to read.

I guess to me, with the current push to alter history through the push to cancel critical race theory, reading these books provides insight into the mindset of what scares those who are hell-bent on preventing others from the freedom of choice.

Casted_Runes
Mr Karswell
Fire of Insight
England 5awards
Joined 4th Oct 2021
Forum Posts: 453

Ahavati said:

I can't even come close to reviews like yours, CR ( which I thoroughly enjoy, btw ). But in honor of banned book week, I have been reading those books that have been banned or challenged due to their content.

Right now, I am reading Beloved. The movie, considered an American gothic psychological horror, was directed by Jonathan Demme and starred Oprah Winfrey, Danny Glover, and Thandiwe Newton. It's based on the true story of Margaret Gardner, who escaped from slavery with her family in the late 1800's. I read in a review that the complexity of Beloved is largely overlooked in the film; therefore, I've always wanted to read the book.  

1984 by George Orwell is also a good one to read.

I guess to me, with the current push to alter history through the push to cancel critical race theory, reading these books provides insight into the mindset of what scares those who are hell-bent on preventing others from the freedom of choice.

Beloved is a wonderful novel. I forgot that it was banned.

Ahavati
Tams
Tyrant of Words
United States 121awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

In honor of banned book week.

Go to page:
Go to: