Go to page:

Book Box

Casted_Runes
Mr Karswell
Fire of Insight
England 5awards
Joined 4th Oct 2021
Forum Posts: 456

Written by novelist Denise Mina and drawn by Antonio Fuso, A Sickness in the Family is a mix of tartan noir and Gothic horror. It begins on Christmas as a fracturing Scottish family, the Ushers (no prizes for guessing which classic horror story that’s a reference to), sits down to dinner while a couple fights in the flat downstairs. When the couple end up killing each other, the father of the family decides to knock through to the basement. But then his mother-in-law takes a tumble, initiating a series of deadly events narrated by the family’s youngest member, the adopted son. Could there be a killer in the house of Usher?

The story is illustrated in black-and-white and otherwise presented as a traditional novel, with chapters and typical 5x8/6x9 formatting. Mina is a fairly prolific crime writer outside comics, and the Vertigo Crime imprint (belonging to DC, or Detective Comics) seems to be aiming for comparison with “literary” publishing. The idea, I think, is that you can shelve these titles alongside your other mystery fiction rather than have big graphic novels sticking out. I was attracted to this one by the pleasingly grotesque cover art and exciting plot description on the back. It’s a brisk read - I finished it in under an hour - but although I’ll be checking out other Vertigo titles, I really can’t say that A Sickness in the Family was a success.

It starts well, with the youngest Usher introducing us to the basic setup before we cut to a grittily realised domestic abuse situation, involving an emigrant woman whose partner has put her in the hospital. She seems to blame their new basement flat for his violent temper, and later in the story, we’re introduced to a witchcraft legend. Is something supernatural going on, or were the couple - and now the Ushers - just victims of their own pathologies?

The book never seems to decide, and its biggest problem is that it’s tough to care. Mina resolves the plot neatly enough at the end after several more murders take place, while also suggesting that this resolution could be just the “real” killer’s psychotic fantasy. Or maybe something witchy WAS occurring? It’s all much of a muchness, really. The various plot elements never congeal into a convincing whole and the book has a curiously rushed feeling about it.

None of the characters are personable or intriguing enough to warrant much interest, which must ultimately come down to a failure of characterisation. They’re merely a collection of tics and traits. Recruiting a novelist to your comics imprint can be a risky business. Comics still don’t get the respect that they deserve as their own discrete form, so it can seem to many like a no-brainer to hire someone out of prose fiction to lend a little literary sparkle. This can lead to works like A Sickness in the Family: clever, but without the skills that sequential art requires to make a fully rounded comic book.

Rating: 2/4

more reviews at thelibraryatborleyrectory.uk

Ahavati
Tams
Tyrant of Words
United States 121awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 16217

Oh awesome! A book one too! Thank you!

Ahavati
Tams
Tyrant of Words
United States 121awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

MMMWAHS! can't wait to read about this one! Just arrived ( thank you! ).

Casted_Runes
Mr Karswell
Fire of Insight
England 5awards
Joined 4th Oct 2021

Ahavati said:MMMWAHS! can't wait to read about this one! Just arrived ( thank you! ).

❤️❤️❤️

Ahavati
Tams
Tyrant of Words
United States 121awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Casted_Runes said:

❤️❤️❤️

But seriously, I would love a review. It's on my reading list but it will be a bit before I get to it.

Casted_Runes
Mr Karswell
Fire of Insight
England 5awards
Joined 4th Oct 2021

Ahavati said:

But seriously, I would love a review. It's on my reading list but it will be a bit before I get to it.

Will do

Casted_Runes
Mr Karswell
Fire of Insight
England 5awards
Joined 4th Oct 2021

Edited by Katy Soar and collected from their archives by the British Library, Circles of Stone: Weird Tales of Pagan Sites and Ancient Rites is a stellar anthology of short stories by both famous names in supernatural fiction, forgotten voices, and relative unknowns. Themed around Britain’s pre-Roman stone monoliths (Stonehenge is name-checked a few times but I don’t think ever used as a story’s centrepiece), most are ghost stories based on folklore about our lives before Christianisation and how even modern folks may feel it in their blood, a savage call drawing them back through time…

Not all of the stories are horror. The first, by diplomat Sarban, is an excerpt from a novella (Ringstones) and gently follows a latter-day picnic among rocks between which faeries once roamed. Later on, Arthur Machen’s brief “The Ceremony” feels more like a prose poem, in its stylised account of a young girl compelled to perform an ancient rite.

I won’t review each of the fifteen stories here, but my favourite is “Lisheen” by Frederick Cowles, the strange and troubling tragedy of a minister in the early 17th century who “lost his immortal soul for the sake of a witch child”. Cowles’ masterstroke is to frame the story as an anomaly of the historical record, unearthed by a latter-day historian, which forces us to glimpse events imperfectly and fill in the blanks with our imaginations.

The best story in literary terms - by which I mean with the strongest development of character and theme - is “The Tarn of Sacrifice” by Algernon Blackwood. It follows a WWI veteran as he goes hiking in the mountains and comes to a primitive house occupied by a man and his adult daughter, rich city people who for mysterious reasons have come to live the peasant life in complete isolation. Although “Lisheen” remains my personal favourite for its drama and creepiness, “Tarn” is an extremely close second. It even has a fairly original ending for a “savage pagans” tale, using the non-Christian faiths as more than a boogeyman.

A lot of these stories are like that in some sense, though. They respect and are knowledgeable about nature religions of old even while using them as horror props. EF Benson’s “The Temple” was surprisingly brilliant. I tend to have mixed feelings about Benson’s ghost stories. He’s an erudite and stylish writer whose prose is always fine, but he sometimes writes his supernatural fiction with a certain flippancy that dulls the scariness. “The Temple”, however, is a top-tier tale that makes the flesh creep, about a couple of scholars staying in a rural house situated near a site of pagan sacrifice.

The only dud in the collection for me was “The Man Who Could Talk to the Birds” by JH Pearce, which is written entirely in a thick Cornish dialect that I found painful to read and impossible to enjoy. It’s blessedly short, though, and does tell an intriguing folktale.

I’ll mention just a couple more. “The Shadow on the Moor” by Stuart Strauss is a fun romp notable in part for the lack of information about Strauss, who wrote a few stories in his day but vanished into the ether thereafter. Lastly for this review, I wanted to cite Lisa Tuttle as the most modern (and still living!) author here, and one of a few fine women writers in this collection. Her “Where the Stones Grow” is a skin-crawling tale about a young American’s memory of when his father was killed while on holiday in England, and how the cause might have clung to the son.

Rating: 3.5/4

Ahavati
Tams
Tyrant of Words
United States 121awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Casted_Runes said:Edited by Katy Soar and collected from their archives by the British Library, Circles of Stone: Weird Tales of Pagan Sites and Ancient Rites is a stellar anthology of short stories by both famous names in supernatural fiction, forgotten voices, and relative unknowns. Themed around Britain’s pre-Roman stone monoliths (Stonehenge is name-checked a few times but I don’t think ever used as a story’s centrepiece), most are ghost stories based on folklore about our lives before Christianisation and how even modern folks may feel it in their blood, a savage call drawing them back through time…
[ . . . ]

Rating: 3.5/4

O_o! Looking forward to reading this! Thanks for posting! I'll let you know what I think!

Casted_Runes
Mr Karswell
Fire of Insight
England 5awards
Joined 4th Oct 2021

Ahavati said:

O_o! Looking forward to reading this! Thanks for posting! I'll let you know what I think!

Please do

Ahavati
Tams
Tyrant of Words
United States 121awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Happy National Book Day!

Casted_Runes
Mr Karswell
Fire of Insight
England 5awards
Joined 4th Oct 2021

Ahavati said:Happy National Book Day!

❤️❤️❤️

Ahavati
Tams
Tyrant of Words
United States 121awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

"The Courage to Be Disliked" by Ichiro Kishimi and Fumitake Koga via the Book Nook is a thought-provoking exploration of the principles of Adlerian psychology and the pursuit of personal freedom and happiness. Here are ten amazing and unique lessons from the book:

1. Freedom Lies in Acceptance: True freedom comes from accepting oneself as one is, without seeking validation or approval from others. Kishimi and Koga's exploration of Adlerian psychology highlights the importance of embracing personal responsibility and agency in shaping one's own life.

2. The Power of Choice: We have the power to choose our own paths and shape our destinies through the choices we make. By taking ownership of our decisions and actions, we can break free from the constraints of external expectations and societal norms.

3. Overcoming the Need for Recognition: Seeking recognition and approval from others can hinder our ability to live authentically and pursue our true desires. Kishimi and Koga's insights into the pitfalls of seeking validation underscore the importance of cultivating self-assurance and inner confidence.

4. Embracing Discomfort: Growth and transformation often require stepping outside of our comfort zones and embracing discomfort. Kishimi and Koga's exploration of Adlerian principles encourages readers to embrace challenges and adversity as opportunities for personal growth.

5. Living in the Present Moment: Dwelling on past regrets or worrying about the future detracts from our ability to fully engage with the present moment. Kishimi and Koga's discussions of mindfulness and presence highlight the importance of living mindfully and appreciating the here and now.

6. Finding Meaning in Struggle: Struggle and adversity are inherent parts of the human experience, but they can also be sources of growth and meaning. Kishimi and Koga's exploration of resilience underscores the importance of finding purpose and meaning in life's challenges.

7. Embracing Imperfection: Accepting our imperfections and embracing our flaws is essential for cultivating self-compassion and self-acceptance. Kishimi and Koga's discussions of self-acceptance highlight the importance of letting go of unrealistic standards and embracing our humanity.

8. Fostering Genuine Connections: Authentic relationships are built on mutual respect, trust, and acceptance. Kishimi and Koga's insights into interpersonal dynamics underscore the importance of fostering genuine connections based on openness and honesty.

9. Letting Go of Resentment: Holding onto resentment and grudges only serves to weigh us down and hinder our personal growth. Kishimi and Koga's discussions of forgiveness highlight the liberating power of letting go of past hurts and embracing compassion.

10. Cultivating Inner Peace: Inner peace comes from within and is not contingent on external circumstances or validation from others. Kishimi and Koga's exploration of self-acceptance and personal freedom offers a roadmap for cultivating inner peace and fulfillment.

BOOK: https://amzn.to/3VtloRG

You can get the AUDIOBOOK for FREE (When you register for Audible Membership Trial) using the same link above.

Casted_Runes
Mr Karswell
Fire of Insight
England 5awards
Joined 4th Oct 2021

Thank you for posting here, Aha! That book sounds good. xxx

Indie
Miss Indie
Tyrant of Words
Australia 37awards
Joined 3rd Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 3259

Book review: A Marvellous Light, by Freya Marske

Okay, so I don't normally do book reviews, actually I don't do them at all. I just sometimes think about what I would say if someone asked about what I'm reading. No one ever asks.

This book almost demands a review, or something. I have read it three times in the last four days, which I never do.

With most books I enjoy, I read it, savour it, analyze it, and then stick it on a shelf for the next time I'm in the mood for it. I think I can name ever book I have read and reread, and held onto for the precious story it is. This is one of those books, only moreso.

A Marvellous Light, is a dark academia, gay (MLM) love story set in 1908. It starts off with a murder, and turns into a mystery involving a curse, a secret sect of magicians, and a race against time. It is the first book in the Last Binding trilogy.

In my first read (which I did in 1 day) I thought I picked up on some plot holes, that didn't actually exist upon the second read. It's just that staying up to 11:30 at night will play tricks on a tired mind, and important pieces of information get lost to fatigue.

If asked to pick a favourite character, I would say the two leads. The first protagonist, Robin, is unmagical. He is warm, brave and reckless. The second, Edwin, has a small level of magical power, and is considered weak among his magical peers, and often mocked for it. He is reserved, cautious, highly intelligent, and tries to keep a large emotional distance between himself and other people. His character arc is also the most pronounced.

The support characters are also fully formed and both compliment and contrast with the leads seemlessly.

The story line wasn't predictable, I'm not a mystery buff, so I perhaps wouldn't have seen the clues other might have picked up on, but the entirety of the book left me guessing and wanting more.

The characters have so much depth, are relatable, and I felt like they could be real. As far as suspension of reality goes, the story and the characters where completely immersive, and at no point did I stop and think, "well that wouldn't really happen" despite it being a fantasy narrative.

The progression of the love story, from prickly acquaintances, to cautious friends, to lovers was organic and natural, and an excellent example of how opposites attract, and wouldn't have been possible without one of the main plotlines, the curse laid on Robin, in a case of wrong place, wrong time.

A Marvellous Light kept me coming back for more, it's pacing near perfect, and the tension between the characters palpable, whether facing an enemy, a puzzle, or the two leads staring down each other in the bedroom.

Highly recommend.
Written by Indie (Miss Indie)
Go To Page  

Casted_Runes
Mr Karswell
Fire of Insight
England 5awards
Joined 4th Oct 2021

Book review: A Marvellous Light, by Freya Marske

Okay, so I don't normally do book reviews, actually I don't do them at all. I just sometimes think about what I would say if someone asked about what I'm reading. No one ever asks.

This book almost demands a review, or something. I have read it three times in the last four days, which I never do.

With most books I enjoy, I read it, savour it, analyze it, and then stick it on a shelf for the next time I'm in the mood for it. I think I can name ever book I have read and reread, and held onto for the precious story it is. This is one of those books, only moreso.

A Marvellous Light, is a dark academia, gay (MLM) love story set in 1908. It starts off with a murder, and turns into a mystery involving a curse, a secret sect of magicians, and a race against time. It is the first book in the Last Binding trilogy.

In my first read (which I did in 1 day) I thought I picked up on some plot holes, that didn't actually exist upon the second read. It's just that staying up to 11:30 at night will play tricks on a tired mind, and important pieces of information get lost to fatigue.

If asked to pick a favourite character, I would say the two leads. The first protagonist, Robin, is unmagical. He is warm, brave and reckless. The second, Edwin, has a small level of magical power, and is considered weak among his magical peers, and often mocked for it. He is reserved, cautious, highly intelligent, and tries to keep a large emotional distance between himself and other people. His character arc is also the most pronounced.

The support characters are also fully formed and both compliment and contrast with the leads seemlessly.

The story line wasn't predictable, I'm not a mystery buff, so I perhaps wouldn't have seen the clues other might have picked up on, but the entirety of the book left me guessing and wanting more.

The characters have so much depth, are relatable, and I felt like they could be real. As far as suspension of reality goes, the story and the characters where completely immersive, and at no point did I stop and think, "well that wouldn't really happen" despite it being a fantasy narrative.

The progression of the love story, from prickly acquaintances, to cautious friends, to lovers was organic and natural, and an excellent example of how opposites attract, and wouldn't have been possible without one of the main plotlines, the curse laid on Robin, in a case of wrong place, wrong time.

A Marvellous Light kept me coming back for more, it's pacing near perfect, and the tension between the characters palpable, whether facing an enemy, a puzzle, or the two leads staring down each other in the bedroom.

Highly recommend.
Written by Indie (Miss Indie)
Go To Page  
Indie said:

Thank you for sharing this excellent review, Indie! The book sounds great. xxx

Go to page:
Go to: