Recommend a Movie/Documentary/Show

SonderNinja
BenjaminEC
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 22nd May 2022
Forum Posts: 89

Ahavati said:

Anyone NOT familiar with The Wire needs to be! It's classic! I HATED to see it end; however, like Mad Men, it ended perfectly! Gotta keep that Devil way down in the hole.

https://youtu.be/0ymj79q-U-w

The Wire did for 5 seasons what Game of Thrones could only do for 4 seasons, and that's juggle all those interlaced storylines and have them make sense, finishing in a subversively realistic and satisfying way. Sopranos was my hands down favorite for so many years, and is still a sentimental favorite in many ways, but that might be more about familiarity than true quality. It took me more than a decade to realize all the genius involved. There are college classes that study this show.

On a different note, those back two Black Mirror episodes, entertaining as they are, belong on Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities, NOT Black Mirror. Good quality, as always from BM. Just WTF lol.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 117awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14890

SonderNinja said:

The Wire did for 5 seasons what Game of Thrones could only do for 4 seasons, and that's juggle all those interlaced storylines and have them make sense, finishing in a subversively realistic and satisfying way. Sopranos was my hands down favorite for so many years, and is still a sentimental favorite in many ways, but that might be more about familiarity than true quality. It took me more than a decade to realize all the genius involved. There are college classes that study this show.

On a different note, those back two Black Mirror episodes, entertaining as they are, belong on Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities, NOT Black Mirror. Good quality, as always from BM. Just WTF lol.

I admit I have not seen "Sopranos" yet but have heard nothing but good about it. It's on a list I have that keeps getting bumped for things like "The Handmaid's Tale". I enjoyed the book so had to watch the series. Also, "Gray's Anatomy" - I've been watching that for 19 years. I'm to the point that now I NEED to see if and how it will ever end.

My grandson side-tracked me on "The Mandalorian", then had to watch EVERY STAR WARS episode from the beginning before the next season hits. I must admit, I really enjoyed catching up with him. In the 70's I was in a theater line to see the original "Star Wars", so it was so much fun revisiting with him. It was like a clash of past and present all at once.

I rarely get tele time but had heard so much about Mad Men I had to give it a go. I enjoyed it because it was the era I grew up in. Talk about realism - from gourmet board meetings in the 60's to a plain tray of deli sandwiches in the 70's. The clothes, the furniture, the hair, I mean EVERYTHING was uber-realistic. It even showed things we cringe about now, re kids playing in the plastic bags that old dry cleaners used. It ended perfectly - maybe because it was also one of my favorite commercials in the 70's. But whoever wrote that ending deserves an Oscar.

To me an ending is everything. And, yes, The Wire nailed it. I will have to bump the Sopranos up a notch before school starts!

SonderNinja
BenjaminEC
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 22nd May 2022
Forum Posts: 89

I've been meaning to give Mad Men a look for years now. Never seemed like my kind of subject matter but I admit I'm a bit of a nerd for period pieces. There's been a few of those lately, like "Love & Death" on HBOMax and "The Offer" on Paramount, I think Mad Men was a major influence on those.

The Sopranos, Livia Soprano in particular, Nancy Marchand's performance still helps me reconcile my own relationship with my own mother on a psychological level. I mean, THAT's it right there, that's just like my own ma!

I was shocked at how much I enjoyed The Mandalorian! I initially got Disney just for nostalgic purposes of classic cartoons and the like, and eventually couldn't help myself lol. I'm usually more for horror and/or crime dramas but color me surprised at how fun that show can be.

I would write a full review for Better Call Saul, but it would just be a long love letter telling people to please, please watch it. Best drama series I've seen since the days of The Wire & Sopranos IMO, and many feel it is actually superior to its parent show, Breaking Bad.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 117awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

You know, when my grandson  ( who dictates most of my viewing pleasures when he's here ) suggested the Mandalorian, I thought "Oh god. . .". But I was totally shocked at how much I really enjoyed that show! I'm sure a large part of that was watching it with him. Memories. We got my son a shirt for Father's Day that said, "The Dadalorian: His way is the only way"! LOL! I got my grandson "The Child" plush toy for his 13th birthday this past April.
"Yes. Yes. Yes. No. No. No."

There's a great channel on Instagram called nomad.props. He dresses as the Mandalorian and does some hilarious reels. My grandson and I send them back and forth to each other all the time. Keeps us connected through the summer when he's gone.  

I think you'll enjoy Mad Men if you like period pieces. Another good twist is Shonda Rimes deviating from Gray's Anatomy to Bridgerton, a series based on the novels of Julia Quinn. Now THAT is a period piece with a cultural twist that works. It's very Jane Austin-like with a Rimes edge. She is a phenomenal writer.

Her gravitation toward Bridgerton and Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story, has me anticipating that she's going a different direction. I foresee Gray's coming to a close soon - I think she just wants to see how far it can go.

I took counseling and psych in college and I've just bumped up Sopranos based on your description. And my son says the same thing and has been after me to watch "Better Call Saul"! I would've already started by he asked me watch "The Mayans" first. I didn't really care for it, but it's a way for me to bond. Tit for tat. I watch one of yours, you watch one of mine! LOL!

Better Call Saul is on my list too! He and my grandson keep me busy as far as television. I could keep up if I had more time!

emmrisa
Strange Creature
Joined 20th May 2023
Forum Posts: 3

It sounds like you had a very enjoyable and thought-provoking Christmas night with the movie Don't Look Up! The movie does have a stellar cast and seems to have made an impression on you. Your description of the film's metaphorical nature in this day and age is intriguing, and it's nice to hear that it combines humor and thoughtfulness. There's something else better than the movie, which is interacting with real https://sirrodney.com/ Sir Rodney girls who will never say no to you. I appreciate your enthusiasm about the movie and your caution in not giving away too many spoilers. It sounds like you had a memorable viewing experience, and your recommendation makes it clear that Don't Look Up is worth seeing, especially for those interested in contemporary political themes and satire.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 117awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Netrogradik
Strange Creature
Joined 1st Dec 2022
Forum Posts: 2

What a heartwarming story about bonding over "The Mandalorian" with your grandson! It's amazing how a show can create lasting memories.

Qualglist
Strange Creature
Joined 1st Dec 2022
Forum Posts: 2

I appreciate your recommendations! "Mad Men" is a classic, and "Bridgerton" has been on my radar as well. Shonda Rhimes certainly has a knack for creating captivating stories. I'll have to give both of those a watch.

As for "The Sopranos," I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. And it sounds like you've got a fun "tit for tat" arrangement with your son with "Better Call Saul" on the horizon – it's always great to share the love of good TV shows.

And speaking of keeping busy, have you caught any great movies recently released (https://wealthofgeeks.com/movies-out-now/)? I'm always on the lookout for some fresh recommendations!

ulrichgood
Strange Creature
Joined 9th Nov 2023
Forum Posts: 1

I've got a great recommendation for you! If you're in the mood for a mind-bending thriller, "Dark" on Netflix is a must-watch. It's a German series that involves time travel, intricate family dynamics, and a mysterious small-town setting. The storytelling is incredibly intricate, and it keeps you hooked from start to finish. Plus, it's got that perfect mix of sci-fi and mystery that'll have you pondering it long after the credits roll. I guarantee you'll want to return to discuss and dissect the plot twists!
And hey, if you ever find yourself wanting to expand your streaming horizons, there's a handy guide on how to watch Hulu in Saudi Arabia here https://onlinetvcast.com/guides/how-to-watch-hulu-in-saudi-arabia-in-2023-complete-guide that I came across recently. It might open up a whole new world of content for you

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 117awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

I just finished "Vikings" ( finally ). I didn't mind the historical inadequacies. Historical fiction is my favorite genre anyway. I'll keep "Dark" on my radar.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 117awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

So I finished watching Escaping Twin Flames last night, a documentary on an obvious cult/leader who compares himself to Jesus.

All I could do was shake my head and wonder if things like this would even exist if everyone was comfortable alone, in their own skin. That's my first thought. My second was, WTH?! These people don't even know what a Twin Flame truly is! A Twin Flame is NOT a Twin Soul or Soul Mate. A Twin Flame union is typically one of awareness through pain ( think destruction ) which produces growth ( if romantically inclined ). In partnership or business it's not necessarily so ( as long as you're not romantically inclined ).

“But know, the soul is rather the soulmate of the universal consciousness than of an individual entity.” ~ Edgar Cayce sessions ( 2988-2 )

I wanted to shake all those poor souls and present them with some Edgar Cayce sessions. The owners of this "Twin Flames Universe" are making millions off the back of lonely, desperate individuals who just want to be loved and accepted for who they are. I will not desecrate this post by posting the link to the so-called TFU, but I DO recommend watching the series on Netflix.

When you are peace with yourself, you have found your true soulmate: The Universe.

Gahddess_Worship
Osomajestuoso
Tyrant of Words
United States 38awards
Joined 21st Aug 2013
Forum Posts: 838

"Cinema Paradiso" is one of my favorites. I can never pass on "Three Amigos" when it's showing. Watched in Spanish once, that was a treat.

ddit
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 23rd Nov 2023
Forum Posts: 4

So many good movies out there. Here are my top ten for what's on Netflix right now.
Whiplash
The Social Network
Catch Me If You Can
Heat
Jaws
Captain Phillips
The Imitation Game
Arrival
Marriage Story
A Beatiful Mind

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 117awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

I LOVED Arrival!

I'll throw in Cloud Atlas and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind ( if I haven't already ).

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 117awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

BEST THANKSGIVING SCENE EVER!

https://youtu.be/v9UIDDlnSgA?feature=shared

Go to page:
Go to: