Go to page:

dead is the new Black

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

For every 100 US citizen there are 112 guns, compared to 6 guns for every 100 citizens in the UK ...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

So yeah we can talk about race, economics, and or over zealous cops but somehow here in the US we can't do it without a gun in our hands ...

Hepcat61
geoff cat
Dangerous Mind
United States 33awards
Joined 27th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 1028

withdrawn realizing entrenchment means a whole lot of ugly space in between the trenches - and those in the "safety" of their trench will never come out...  

chump
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 30th Sep 2014
Forum Posts: 417

Hepcat61 said:Here is evidence that it's not cops or people of color, it's all of us, everday, in everything we do...
As of 2015, African-Americans make up 13 percent of the general U.S. population, 38 percent of the prison, population, and, best guess, 6 percent of the law enforcement population...

Which means that racism in the U.S. is both de facto and de jure - if it were merely de facto: we could expect to see this kind of statistical anomaly in say higher education or among corporate chief officers or producers and directors of studio productions (which also exist, btw... surprise, surprise...), but this anomaly in the legal... justice... system... is beyond oxymoronic. It's criminal... literally...

As in the legal justice system criminalizes being black... statistically...

And statistics don't lie...

They may not lie but statistical can be twisted. I'm not saying it is but maybe more blacks are in prison because more do commit crimes and maybe less blacks want to be cops because more blacks dislike cops..statistics are proof of nothing

Hepcat61
geoff cat
Dangerous Mind
United States 33awards
Joined 27th Nov 2015

either we get it or we don't - I hope we don't all turn into "Good Germans."

Hepcat61
geoff cat
Dangerous Mind
United States 33awards
Joined 27th Nov 2015

as my grandma always said -

don't argue with stupid, don't reason with crazy - it'll just frustrate you both...

gazellemon
Bradley J
Fire of Insight
United States 6awards
Joined 6th Mar 2014
Forum Posts: 372

It seems to be easier to hate than love. The rhetoric used by the US media and presidential candidates perpetuates separation and fear. There is only one race of humans on this planet. Any further division is a method of control. People think guns will save them.. *shaking my head*.. Ideas are what save people.

my $.02

chump
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 30th Sep 2014

Hepcat61 said:

You may want to reread your statement... because as I said racism is endemic in the U.S. both "de jure" by law and "de facto" by fact... the underlying question would be if black people commit more crimes and have a deeper distrust of the criminal justice system...

Why would that be the case?

Are you claiming that black people or the black race is somehow more criminal... because that is what you just implied...?

I know you said you weren't saying that...

And then you said it...

And, I know statistics can be manipulated... that's why I pulled statistics compiled by the U.S. Government... and did it as a percentage of the population...

If there were not de jure problems: all three numbers would be 13% +/- a standard deviation of one or two percentage points...

.I said maybe..... And since this still a relatively free country people's choices should not be blamed on all of us

chump
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 30th Sep 2014

gazellemon said:It seems to be easier to hate than love. The rhetoric used by the US media and presidential candidates perpetuates separation and fear. There is only one race of humans on this planet. Any further division is a method of control. People think guns will save them.. *shaking my head*.. Ideas are what save people.

my $.02

I agree with you on the first part.......but guns, along with killing, have saved many more lives..the media only shows the bad..? Not the man who saves his family from home invasion or the woman that stopped her attacker..

brokentitanium
k.
Tyrant of Words
Canada 12awards
Joined 18th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 1192

chump said:
I agree with you on the first part.......but guns, along with killing, have saved many more lives..the media only shows the bad..? Not the man who saves his family from home invasion or the woman that stopped her attacker..

Really? That's interesting. How are you finding out about these frequent occurrences, if the media isn't reporting them? I'm curious.

chump
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 30th Sep 2014

brokentitanium said:

Really? That's interesting. How are you finding out about these frequent occurrences, if the media isn't reporting them? I'm curious.
there are many places that you can see what guns do for would be victims.. heres one for women....
thewellarmedwoman.com
you need to look past the mainstream

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

chump said:.
there are many places that you can see what guns do for would be victims.. heres one for women....
thewellarmedwoman.com
you need to look past the mainstream

LMAO ... You're right there's no absolutely no bias in a site sponsored by the NRA ... Nope, nothing mainstream about it at all.

chump
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 30th Sep 2014

LobodeSanPedro said:

LMAO ... You're right there's no absolutely no bias in a site sponsored by the NRA ... Nope, nothing mainstream about it at all.
i see the bias only comes from those that want us to have guns.... not from the ones that want us to not have them....
i admitt the nra doest bother to tell you about the crimes committed by guns they dont need to the anti gun media does that.. they just show the other side ... your bias towards the nra doesnt change facts

brokentitanium
k.
Tyrant of Words
Canada 12awards
Joined 18th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 1192

chump said:.
i see the bias only comes from those that want us to have guns.... not from the ones that want us to not have them....
i admitt the nra doest bother to tell you about the crimes committed by guns they dont need to the anti gun media does that.. they just show the other side ... your bias towards the nra doesnt change facts

You're right, we need some unbiased facts.  Oh wait....can't do that either.

http://www.iflscience.com/editors-blog/studying-gun-violence-only-way-figure-out-how-stop-it-we-don-t/

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14461

did the nra link list the number of 'accidental' child deaths

interesting thing about Lobo's link is it  says gun ownership is down to about one in three households. 50% of housholds in 1965 down to 31% which means a lot more guns concentrated among a lot fewer people

6 in every hundred for UK is a fair amount, given the numbers are for legally held. farmers maybe. I think all of the UK is included too, so anywhere between 150,000 and 200,000 from NI would be included

here's a thought,  there are claims that *blue street lighting has lowered crime and suicide rate in parts of Glasgow and Japan

*crime and suicide has lowered where the blue lights were installed, but no one has been able to prove it's because of the lights

point being, the old ways aren't working. how's about something new

chump
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 30th Sep 2014

brokentitanium said:

You're right, we need some unbiased facts.  Oh wait....can't do that either.

http://www.iflscience.com/editors-blog/studying-gun-violence-only-way-figure-out-how-stop-it-we-don-t/

sure we can... its a fact that people kill people with guns. i dont know anybody that will argue that.. and its a fact that guns save some peoples live also. its just that some people claim it doesent happen. biased is all we get. you just need to listen to all of it and make up your own mind but dont censor yourself

Go to page:
Go to: