Go to page:

dead is the new Black

poet Anonymous

chump said:
.so why do you have tripple our crime rate and strict gun laws.. Why haven't you taught your crazies.. You just don't get it.. Our guns scare the criminals more than the cops.. And the cops here work like thugs for the rich because they are. They spend more time extorting money from hard working honest people on the roads with radar than they do stopping crime.

Yes but the criminals do know how to use firearms better than clerks, so what if you have one and you are facing a criminal who has already killed more than once.

chump
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 30th Sep 2014
Forum Posts: 417

IronFears said:

Yes but the criminals do know how to use firearms better than clerks, so what if you have one and you are facing a criminal who has already killed more than once.
.you don't know who is better crooks or clerks.. Training is what makes a person good with a gun.not your intent. I have a range at home and shoot often. I pity the criminal that assumes she is better than me.

brokentitanium
k.
Tyrant of Words
Canada 10awards
Joined 18th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 1172

chump said:
It's not just crazies with guns we guns to protect ourselves from... They have clubs and knives and swords all kinds of other things to use against us. The cops can't save any one just clean up and try to collect a fee for your death from your family... I will never give mine up.. Never...they will have to take it from my corpse..

In a previous comment, you insinuated that I do not read or listen to other points of view (ie, yours).  This is far from the truth; otherwise I wouldn't be following this discussion.  I do listen, and I hear you.  I really want to understand, but frankly, your "you can have my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers" rhetoric just saddens me.  It seems to me that it is YOU who are unwilling to engage in any kind of compromise, or cooperative discussion with people of different opinions to come up with a viable alternative to "a gun for every finger".  Please, engage your poet's sense of imagination for a second to picture what that world would look like.  Is that really where you want to live?  There has to be a better way, but it will probably require some sacrifice and compromise from all "sides".  And no, I don't mean you have to give up your beloved gun(s).  Surely there's a middle ground that keeps devastating weapons out of the hands of unstable people.  

Anyway, I don't expect anything I say is going to change your mind one bit; you've already made that pretty clear.  I will continue to try and understand where you're coming from, but I will never embrace a world of neverending escalation of violence and fear.  I hope that some day you will consider that there might be another way to live.

I think I've said all I'm going to say about the gun control thing now.  Can we agree that racism is a problem that needs to be addressed meaningfully throughout society, and particularly in the police force?

Wishing you safety and peace.

chump
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 30th Sep 2014

brokentitanium said:

In a previous comment, you insinuated that I do not read or listen to other points of view (ie, yours).  This is far from the truth; otherwise I wouldn't be following this discussion.  I do listen, and I hear you.  I really want to understand, but frankly, your "you can have my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers" rhetoric just saddens me.  It seems to me that it is YOU who are unwilling to engage in any kind of compromise, or cooperative discussion with people of different opinions to come up with a viable alternative to "a gun for every finger".  Please, engage your poet's sense of imagination for a second to picture what that world would look like.  Is that really where you want to live?  There has to be a better way, but it will probably require some sacrifice and compromise from all "sides".  And no, I don't mean you have to give up your beloved gun(s).  Surely there's a middle ground that keeps devastating weapons out of the hands of unstable people.  

Anyway, I don't expect anything I say is going to change your mind one bit; you've already made that pretty clear.  I will continue to try and understand where you're coming from, but I will never embrace a world of neverending escalation of violence and fear.  I hope that some day you will consider that there might be another way to live.

I think I've said all I'm going to say about the gun control thing now.  Can we agree that racism is a problem that needs to be addressed meaningfully throughout society, and particularly in the police force?

Wishing you safety and peace.

.racism and guns are two separate things or at least they need to be..and cops are cops who cares if it's a white cop or as black cop or a pink cop thatextorts and oppresses ...
And if you were talking about getting guns from criminals I'm on your side but you want the guns from non criminals and that I'll never budge on. Drugs are illegal and they come across our borders.. So will guns if we outlaw them the crooks will always have them.. I said this before but its true..you can't stop a criminal with a law that's just what makes them one..
Just think if I'm wrong and I don't need a gun no big deal but if your wrong and we do need them were in big trouble...

Member Hitler disarmed the Jews before he slaughtered them....

brokentitanium
k.
Tyrant of Words
Canada 10awards
Joined 18th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 1172

chump said:
.racism and guns are two separate things or at least they need to be..and cops are cops who cares if it's a white cop or as black cop or a pink cop thatextorts and oppresses ...
And if you were talking about getting guns from criminals I'm on your side but you want the guns from non criminals and that I'll never budge on. Drugs are illegal and they come across our borders.. So will guns if we outlaw them the crooks will always have them.. I said this before but its true..you can't stop a criminal with a law that's just what makes them one..
Just think if I'm wrong and I don't need a gun no big deal but if your wrong and we do need them were in big trouble...

Member Hitler disarmed the Jews before he slaughtered them....

I agree, racism and guns are two completely separate issues - but they are both pertinent to this discussion thread and I'm trying to move on.  I deliberately changed the subject away from guns, because we're just not getting anywhere with that debate.  I clearly stated, "I don't mean you have to give up your beloved gun(s)" and you came back with, "you want the guns from non criminals and that I'll never budge on."  I'm just looking for openness to talk about options, but since you won't budge, or actually read what I'm saying, it feels like there's nothing more to discuss on that topic.  The knee-jerk reaction of "OHMYGOD, they're coming to take my guns!" whenever someone tries to discuss sensible gun control ideas is frustrating and unimaginative.

chump
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 30th Sep 2014

brokentitanium said:

I agree, racism and guns are two completely separate issues - but they are both pertinent to this discussion thread and I'm trying to move on.  I deliberately changed the subject away from guns, because we're just not getting anywhere with that debate.  I clearly stated, "I don't mean you have to give up your beloved gun(s)" and you came back with, "you want the guns from non criminals and that I'll never budge on."  I'm just looking for openness to talk about options, but since you won't budge, or actually read what I'm saying, it feels like there's nothing more to discuss on that topic.  The knee-jerk reaction of "OHMYGOD, they're coming to take my guns!" whenever someone tries to discuss sensible gun control ideas is frustrating and unimaginative.
i did budge i will talk about how to get the guns from the criminals i just wont consider taking all guns as an option. i have heard no one here come up with any option that doesent take away from law abiding people as well.. or that isnt already in place like background checks. i take a background check every time i buy a gun. it isnt working so what we need is new plans. got any?

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

I checked out a few sites for stats on crime. seen a couple of times on this thread that UK has three times the crime rate than US

stats I've seen tell a complete other story.  one site put Ireland between US (top 10) and UK( top 80) which sounds about right, there's been a bit of a surge in drug related fueds

that said,  I've lived in London: Brixton, Walthamstow, and Holloway, and spent time in most every county in this country and have never felt the need to be armed

maybe if guns were legal it'd be a different story. as it is, the main body of our police force is unarmed also

racism seems to have helped propell Donald Trump to his nomination. ..obviously not all his supporters are racist but it would seem they can overlook it

are there stats of hate crime: perps  and victims?  

the stats on police killings imply they kill indiscriminately, the media appear to be selective in their reporting

a solution:  the task seems enormous.

so many factors. can't try force people to give up their guns.  but you could work together to create an environment where guns aren't needed

and the stats within the link Lobo shows 69% of US homes don't have a gun, so perhaps the envoirement has been on a slow steady improve

substance abuse would have to be tackled. justice system would need an overhaul. housing and social facilities

stuff like that

Csorg1
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 20th July 2016
Forum Posts: 5

I could say that but chicago has the highest crime rate in the us.

chump
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 30th Sep 2014

In 2013 there were 321,000 crimes in the UK..... There were 721,000 in the US....  The US has 318 million people.... The UK has 64 million....that's almost half the crimes with one fifth the population.... That's pretty close to 3 times the crime RATE. Not crimes..... Mapsofthe world.com has many informative maps with facts and numbers that let YOU do the math and decide the truth....

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

fair enough, man. what I get out of those numbers is if there's three times the crime rate in the UK but hardly anyone owns guns is UK people appear to be a lot harder ( less scared)

would that be a fair assumption ?

chump
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 30th Sep 2014

lepperochan said:fair enough, man. what I get out of those numbers is if there's three times the crime rate in the UK but hardly anyone owns guns is UK people appear to be a lot harder ( less scared)

would that be a fair assumption ?
you might assume that if they had the free choice and decided not to but since they can't if they want I would say no you cant

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

fair nuft

I've noticed coverage of hardships for American minorities, specifically the Black lives matter movement has dissipated considerably, in main-stream media and to an extent social media too

To be honest, I think it was inevitable. because the movement was very short sighted and if I may say, on a grander scale became / is part of the actual problem

why, I hear you say semi-raged.

I think movements, especially civil liberty movements have a long history of being infiltrated from the get-go. Dr King's movement,  The Panthers etc so, once functional and followed by masses, they're controlled. simple as that

the name of the movement was where the short sightedness came in. it made things so very easy to get idiotic. #blacklives #alllives #copslives blah-de-blah #mymotherslife #yoursisterslife

finally, I think the vision was selfish. thus on a grander scale became part of the problems

I'm interested to hear people's opinions about the movement or indeed movments in general: how best to sucseed

Go to page:
Go to: