NYC Flash Fiction ... Entry deadline

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14458

Just seen this, Lobo

thanks for the reply. yeah, I think you're right, get back on the horse and ride type-ah-thing

i used to have a page bookmarked, reliable competition hosts worldwide. most were free with prize-money and stuff up for the grabs

congrats on your success so far  ..sounds like a literary version of Americas got talent. 1359 gone, 239 to go

..might just raise a couple in your name laters

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

My group's assignment ... ROMANTIC COMEDY - Setting ... Ski mountain - Object: remote control.  > 1000 words by 11:59 PM Sunday night.

Eight groups of 30 writers ... top five of each group advance to the finals in a month.

I'm trying to stay away from the predictable ... Lovers trapped at ski resort ... Trapped on ski mountain ... Work as ski instructors or rescue workers in a resort area ... blah -.blah blah

naked snowmen ... ? I mean like anatomically correct placed around ski town ... Town sheriff is asked to investigate because of the lewd depictions near public sights.  The sculptor prankster has never been caught over the six winters these things have appeared.

http://1.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com/53/73/9109b4229cbfcdb96c822f74d0f1901b-snowman-massacre.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.asylum.com/media/2010/02/snowman-violence584.jpg

Just an idea ... didn't say it was a good one 😜

Please feel free to drink and party this weekend and raise a glass for me for inspiration beyond the drivel I have now ... Just know that I'm a few glasses ahead of you ...

Salud

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013

Okay ... Consulted with my writing instructor,  and new found mentor, through a course I took.  He liked the word play between the couple I had in my story but somehow it wasn't working as a flash fiction piece.  He suggested it as a play.

Which basically left me with jack shit as of 9 AM this morning.  I went to Plan B which is amazing for me bc there's usually no "B" ...

... The story is way out there for a romantic comedy but hopefully the judges appreciate the unique flip.  Last year I got bumped from the semi finals - pushing the boundaries a bit; I hope the judges see it this time - but most importantly ... fuckn laugh at the end.

It's short ... 700+ words - which again I hope the judges appreciate considering most push it right to the 1,000 word max.

Okay, I gotta go upload this thing by 1159 PM ... And then pretend like I have a life for the next month waiting for the results.

Salud.

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013

Critique of my second story ...

"The Butcher's Kiss" ...

The feedback from the judges on your Flash Fiction Challenge 2015 story from Challenge #2 is below.  We hope you find the feedback helpful and you enjoyed the competition!

''The Butcher's Kiss''  - WHAT THE JUDGE(S) LIKED ABOUT YOUR STORY - ............There are some excellent descriptive elements in this story -- and the knowledge of the crocs and how to kill them feels real enough. The reader is brought right into the story in that way. But… ............ Excellent description and use of specific and visceral detail to set the scene of this story..........................................................…...........................…………………………   WHAT THE JUDGES FEEL NEEDS WORK - ............Not sure of the setting -- the idea of this being so complicated by the sudden Ak47 shooting, the Viet Cong… feels like too much in this short story. Like this could perhaps be a much longer story... And watch over-telling or trying for too much suspense: I reached my bloodied hand into the water to recover my oar which had fallen in the chaos, when it happened -- that  kind of setup weakens the rest. Also, the ending is a bit predictable -- we knew we'd end up here, as soon as the injury occurs. A circular story -- and well done enough -- but too obvious in the place it concludes..................................…............................................................……………………………

The story itself ...

http://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poems/216989-the-butchets-kiss/

I'll hear if I made the finals by mid November ...

Thanks to all who read and commented on my pieces in the first round ... love ya!

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013

While I did make it to the semi final round of 240 from an initial pool of 1400, my semi final piece wasn't strong enough to move me into the round of 40 for the finals ...

Truth be told I took a big gamble on my interpretation of the genre (romantic comedy set on a ski mountain) and the judges told me about it  ... In their words - my story elicited a few sly smirks not the familiar laughs one expects in a comedy.  

In hindsight they were right.

With that said, I wanted to spotlight the winning writer and her piece here in our humble village ...

I hope others of you will take the plunge into NYC MIDNIGHT WRITING competitions in the future ... It's a great way to hone your skills.

Salud.

http://www.nycmidnight.com/Competitions/FFC/Stories/JimmyCooperJimmyCooper.htm

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 5134

Hi Lobo!  Question: I have a poem that takes place in Manhattan,  N.Y. -- is that acceptable to enter here? (showing my ignorance about flash fiction heheh)

Go to page:
Go to: