Go to page:

Your First Poem?

poet Anonymous

I'm curious, if people remember the subject of their first poem? Did it influence you, did you keep it (or a copy of it)?

I'll start. Mine was about the death of my grandfather when I was in middle school. I thought it was lost, but found out recently that my mom had held onto it, says it still gives her peace.

Thanks...

TheWayItIs
PerilousKid
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 15th June 2014
Forum Posts: 78

My first poem?  I remember. It was dark, it made people sad..made them think. It influenced me to write more, to be even better. To have that effect on people..it feels pretty great.

poet Anonymous

Thanks for your answer, Perilous. I think a lot of us, as kid poets, were likely writing to work out issues etc, and some of those can get dark. People don't always follow that it's cathartic.

poet Anonymous

I was in the second or first grade. My grandmother had just died from cancer and I wrote a really bad poem about it. I hid it behind a picture in my room.

poet Anonymous

Dark..... Hell.... I'm there now lol, working out my present issues. Being a still newly found form of creativity and expression.  Very carthartic indeed my first attempt at poetry was painful but a challenge that an artist who worked for me encouraged us to try. Mine was about my lack of grammar, enthusasiam and burnt out as a career astist

m_abbott1999
Madi
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 2nd Dec 2013
Forum Posts: 509

I was eight when I wrote my first poem. It was about killing my mother...just threw it out the other week, actually.

NimmieAmee
Thought Provoker
10awards
Joined 3rd Sep 2012
Forum Posts: 204

My first poem was about a very fat woman who ate popcorn and I think floated away; I was around 8 or 9 at the time and was reading Shel Silverstein and trying to imitate the style lol
No, I certainly don't still have it, and I don't think it influenced my writing at all.. at least I hope it didn't

jemac
Dangerous Mind
United States 4awards
Joined 25th Jan 2013
Forum Posts: 237

My first poem was about my mom who suffered from depression. I think I was twelve when I wrote it. She could hardly care for my sister and I, so we spent a lot of time alone and with my dads parents…It was entitled Quiet Madness…I still have it.

It may have influenced my writing style as I tend to write from the heart….

Feral
Strange Creature
Joined 1st Aug 2014
Forum Posts: 5

My first poem was for a high school final English test. We were given an image and had to write a poem based on it... I got an A, but I probably should have failed due to my shameless ripping off of David Bowie lyrics.

m_L
Lost Thinker
United States 1awards
Joined 15th July 2014
Forum Posts: 25

It wasn't a poem, it was a song I wrote in the 8th grade while I was going through my typical "metal" kick, called "Pitty Wicked". It had no meaning, structure and it was just silly. I remember one line was

"Pitty wicked, pitty wicked
come to me I see you,
Pitty wicked, pitty wicked,
come to me I envy you!"

Fallen_Angel_194
Angel.
Thought Provoker
United States 5awards
Joined 24th May 2014
Forum Posts: 318

I Wrote My First Poem Ever When I Was About 8 Years Old,
It Was About Running Away From My Dad.And I Recentley Found  It and Burned It

vortexman
Dangerous Mind
United States 14awards
Joined 25th Jan 2013
Forum Posts: 1260

it was kinda lame...language arts camp...

Night moon moves slowly in the darkness.
It moves slowly slowly away.

In the day light you may not see it.
But if you look closely you might
see it glowing in the sky.

Waterviolet
Fire of Insight
Canada 4awards
Joined 14th Mar 2014
Forum Posts: 628

My first poem was written on here a few months ago its lame
I have never eaven gave one single though  towards poetry until i found this place
I always tough poetry was for crazy people and queers boy was i wrong??

Twistednutcase
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 10th Oct 2013
Forum Posts: 3

My first poem was called Time Bomb and I didn't write it till eleventh grade. After my English teacher gave me 100 on it, I decided to write more and slow down on the doodling. I guess at the time I wanted to destroy the school with something fierce. So what better a way than a time bomb.

shadowsfallsoftly
Thought Provoker
United States 1awards
Joined 7th Mar 2014
Forum Posts: 2

I don't remember my first poem, but I do remember the purple folder my cousin gave me to write poetry in, and how she made it cool to do so. I started writing poetry when I was 13 and have continued every since.
(I'm 21 Now)

Go to page:
Go to: