PUBLIC OPEN GROUP
Dispatch Box
Currently showcasing our Poet of the Week Facebook features.
Join Group
Page 2 of 17
24th August 8:44am
admin DU Webmistress

Poet of the Week: Lozzamus
poetry 5152
Our next Poet of the Week catchup is with Lozzamus.

Why did you choose Deep Underground Poetry?

It seemed a very welcoming site open to all, yet professional with the option to receive feedback.
------------

Do you think social media contributes to the well-being poetry?

Yes and No. I think it's great that anyone can be a published poet through the internet, but I think the easy access to publish online can sometimes mean publishing poetry that isn't as good as it could be.
------------

Who is/are your greatest poetic inspiration/s?

I tend to go for novel reading that itself is poetic with rich imagery and an implied poetic rhythm, but I enjoy following a number of poets online and watching structures and themes develop. I, of course, often feel inadequate when reading the poems submitted here.
------------

What inspires you personally to write? How important is the accessibility of meaning?

Freedom of expression. Creating something that others might read, experience and picture. I tend to concentrate on sharing images, worlds, and stories through writing and rarely write poems to convey messages of sorts (I would use direct prose for that and do so on blogs or via Social Media).
------------

Should one have to work hard to solve the poem?

No. I think you can enjoy the rhythm and imagery, even when the meaning is difficult to grasp.
------------

Why do you recommend Deep Underground Poetry?

I think the site provides countless opportunities to read the writings of others, publish original writings online, get feedback, join in forums. It's perfect.

https://www.facebook.com/DUpoetry/posts/10157553511128665

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poets/Lozzamus/
7th July 2:01pm
admin DU Webmistress

Poet of the Week: Stanhoven
poetry 5070
Our next Poet of the Week catchup is with Stanhoven.

A couple of friends had told me I should publish my poems but I never really feel my poems are that outstanding so I thought well lets see about posting online and see what comes of it. I searched and came across a couple of sites but the Deep drew me in, I liked the setup of the site and the poems I started reading on here so I thought well here it goes and signed up and started posting.
------------

Yes as it gives poets an access to put their stuff out and get it read. Social media is a great tool
to post stuff and even for artists to look for inspiration.
------------

Back in high school in grade 12 English when we studied poetry the teacher asked us to pick a poem and as songs were considered poems I choose The Tree's written by Neil Peart(RUSH) a song about the Cold War between the USA and Russia so that would of been the start of where I was headed. I started out as a musician and still am so all my inspirations are musical as songs are really just poems made musical. Meeting people, and living are great inspirations as well.
------------

What inspires you personally to write? How important is the accessibility of meaning?

As I am inspired just by living I just write how I feel, what I think and lots of Heavy Metal mixed with some great Pop music. Being a songwriter I tend to write in the same way in that the meaning should be clear and invoke a visual, a memory, or even to inspire. I do tend to like the poems on here that make you think and have to read a few times to understand as that is how we grow and learn so all the power to the poets that make us think and be more reflective.
------------

For me personally I would have to say no but then again all my stuff is usually written in less then 10 minutes so keeping it simple and to the point is how I tend to write but I have read some great stuff on here and I do tend to like the ones where you have to think.
------------

I would recommend this site and actually already have as everyone one here makes you feel
like you are a part of this community and accept you. It was great to post and to get feedback. As an artist I have found inspiration for even my music on this site

https://www.facebook.com/DUpoetry/posts/10157527125878665

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poets/Stanhoven/
Edited 9th June 4:33pm
admin DU Webmistress

Poet of the Week: AndyJHale
poetry 5025

Initially, I was just an innocent bystander in this Deep Underground movement.
I was amazed by the talent on DUP, so I decided to stay to improve my writing skills.
-------------

I think it greatly contributes to well-being poetry.
-------------

I grew up in Greenfield, Indiana. Everything revolved around the poet James Whitcomb Riley. I think that helped shaped my early childhood. Musically it was Jim Morrison and The Doors.
-------------

Music!
I hope the reader spends a little time contemplating the meaning of each poem. The meaning is not always on the surface. Sometimes you have to dig a little deeper to find the meaning, but it's there.
-------------

It depends on the poem.
-------------

I recommend Deep Underground Poetry, because you will read some of the most talented poets of our generation.

https://www.facebook.com/DUpoetry/posts/10157512676128665

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poets/AndyJHale/
Edited 19th May 5:20pm
admin DU Webmistress

Block Feature Update
poetry 4984
The functionality of the block feature has been improved!

For those who don't know, this feature allows you to block another member of the site, if you no longer wish to interact with them.

More info here https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/question/24/

The following has been added:
- Your comments will show as Anonymous, and theirs will show to you as Anonymous.
- Your forum posts will show as Anonymous, and theirs will show to you as Anonymous.

Why not hide the comments and forum posts completely?
Doing this would result in confusing and disjoined comment replies and forum conversations. Having them turn Anonymous replicates what happens when a member deactivates their DU Poetry account.
15th May 1:30pm
admin DU Webmistress

Poet of the Week: MartenHoyle
poetry 4981
Our next Poet of the Week catch up is with MartenHoyle.

It seemed a very nice place. That was a few years ago. I don’t think I’ve changed my profile picture. I also have some thoughts about social media contributing to the well-being of poetry.
---------------

Oops. Got ahead of myself. Um...I can’t say Social Media has done much for the well-being of my own poetry. Its only recently that people have begun to pay some kind of attention to my words. But I see a great deal of poets “making it” due to the influence of social media, so I’ll keep trying.
---------------

Sopor Aeternus is my greatest influence as a poet. I know she is a musician, but I find myself drawn to her. As far as other poets, I would have to say, Edgar Allan Poe, Algernon Charles Swinburne Charles Baudelaire and Emily Dickinson are at the top of my list.
---------------

It is beyond important for me to write. Someone much wiser than I once told me art is a “Survival Strategy.” I believe that with every fiber of my being. I write to survive. As far as meaning goes, the poems only mean anything to me as I am writing them: I tend to forget what my poems are about once I have posted the words. And I like it that way. Because then readers can take their own meaning from what I have written and I think that makes it a richer experience for both of us.
---------------

They say one should read a poem a minimum of three times in order to grasp its full “meaning.” The poem I’ve read the most is Swinburne’s “A Forsaken Garden.” I understand it fully now, but I keep reading it because, like any good art, I can always take something different away with each visit. So, my answer to that question, I suppose would be a yes and a no. It depends all on how invested the composer and the reader are invested in the piece.
---------------

I recommend it because it is the perfect poetry community. Everybody there is so friendly and has nothing but supportive words for one another. I have never had a problem with it, and I have met some extremely kind people. Particularly a reader under the name MysteriousLady. She reads practically everything I have put out, so I just want to take this answer as a little opportunity to nod in her direction.

https://www.facebook.com/DUpoetry/posts/10157512606753665

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poets/MartenHoyle/
17th April 8:26pm
admin DU Webmistress

Poet of the Week: LokiOfLiterati
poetry 4910
Our next Poet of the Week catch up is with LokiOfLiterati

Right away DUP had a subversive feel to it that for me highlighted all the reasons poetry is so addictive and necessary to the human experience. If your poetry was self-indulgent, sexually obsessive, angry, that wasn't shamed. That was just class'ed under category and theme, on a value par with observational, or relating to sports. The idea that there was no judgement on topic and theme and members were sooo supportive, of new work, or of extremely vulnerable work was so key to me. That meant the riskiest moves an artist could make were as sacred as the most base.
------------

Absolutely. I think poetry is how the hidden self breathes and social media is how the Zeitgeist listens and reverberates. I think that being able to reflect on the lyrics and the messages that we catch from music, from media, from all the daily mediums that inundate us and then have an audience, even for just a moment to listen to our spin is highly elevating of the individual and encourages more people to take risks and expose their works, their struggles. Because of social media people like me who came up through the coffeehouse poetry tours, the underground networks can now reach a wider audience and not give a fuck about selling chapbooks, because we can give it out and know there's anonymity in the audience. That isn't addressed often, but should be. Given the crude nature of my work and the visceral wordplay, the security of reading it on the screen means anyone can access that flavor and message without exposing themselves for their taste or associations. You can like my work and not admit to your friends that you like the groove of my kind. And that duplicity won't have to affect me or slow my ability to reach you.
------------

Emily Dickinson, Bob Dylan, ee cummings, Silvia Plath, Immortal Technique, Jean Grae, Talib Kweli, KRS-ONE, Stic-Man, Guru, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Low Key, Slug, Killah Priest, Diabolic, Noam Chomsky, Ray Bradbury, Aesop (original as well as the Hip Hop MC), Stan Lee, Homer, James Joyce, T.S. Elliot, Georgia O'Keefe, Jean Jelnick (9th grade English teacher), Mick Jagger, Robert Greene, Seneca, Marcus Aurelius, Walt Whitman, Mary Shelly
------------

Sometimes it's hard to sleep otherwise. It's the packaging of nuanced thoughts that would otherwise go astray. The links between disparate concepts that momentarily fuse in the mind can be distilled into tools, strategies in real life. Writing arranges those abstract concepts in a sequence that clarifies what that tool is. So, in essence writing is like archaeology to the Akashic Record. Without the accessibility of meaning there is the morass. For an audience member, for a reader, being able to self-define meaning, or being able to take the true meaning is subjective. A writer can at most hope to spend their life perfecting the toolbox and the messages until they're coherent, but ultimately no one will ever know you the way you do, or understand any spot you have to share the way it is to you. Writing is the constant struggle with Hume's Paradox. I think accessibility of meaning to the writer is less important as the most important thing is simply to write. Ground needs to be covered and fluid growth can only occur with momentum. Meaning will find it's way if the writer writes.
------------

I think the poem should solve itself. If a writer absolutely needs the reader to invest heavily in deciphering in order to validate their work, then they could prolly better satisfy that puppetmaster fantasy by designing escape room games or becoming a DC supervillain or some shit. I think some poems, such as acrostics and time-loops or stories told from an objects perspective are fascinating and novel and they can really show off a writers hidden talents, but the reward is in how the poem melts in your mouth. It isn't like stirring the tea to sweeten it. The poem is already written. The hard work is the author's onus. The artful perk is the reader's bonus.
------------

I recommend DUP because of two extremely important contributions: 1. The value of Family Art, or Art Family. This should be self-explanatory. It's my sanctum. If I didn't have DUP, I'd prolly go back to graff writing. Even my best work wasn't as appreciated then. It required more risk, more work. Sadly there isn't an infinite cache of blank walls. And even then, the work of my so-called "peers" wouldn't be nearly as interesting for me to read
2. DUP constantly uplifts the skill level and craftsmanship of every individual poet I follow. I've watched so much personal evolution that is reflective of the badass feedback loop, the support, from collaborations and comments to the discussion boards and competitions. This espirt de corps of poetry and the poet being so integral, so important to do and grow as, and not in some lame fragile, participation-trophy-for-cutting-yourself-to-Depressed-Mode snowflake way, but in the real distilled, finding your true path avenue is exactly what's needed to shift the needle on tribal sentience. DUP is where your hidden you can go express and refine their view. It's the digital Age of Reason platform. Cats will be saying that in 15 years.

https://www.facebook.com/DUpoetry/posts/10157473292338665

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poets/LokiOfLiterati/
12th March 11:58am
admin DU Webmistress

Poet of the Week: Harold-Weathervein
poetry 4845
Our next Poet of the Week catch up is with Harold-Weathervein.

It's been nearly 10 years since I first joined so it's gotten a little bit hazy over that time but I did know that I wanted to self-publish. But was also very shy about my writing. At the time, I hadn't had any sort of constructive outlet or people around me to comfortably share what I was feeling let alone writing about outside of a few people who lived either states or countries away. So to jump over that hurdle in some sort of way I started to push pieces online more often and DUP is the one that actually just seemed to stick with me more and more on a comfort level.
-----------------

I hope I understand this question right...
I don't think it's any mystery that social media can be over bearing at times which is why i've chosen to abstain from the majority of it. So while I can't say if it contributes to the 'well-being', it certainly has helped in the accessibility and opening up of sharing poetry in general. I guess it all lies in what exactly it is you're looking for.
-----------------

I really don't know haha. For every medium of art (writing, music, movies, painting etc.) i would give you a different answer. For me I think most of it stems from my experiences, relationships, traveling and conversations. From the greatest to the absolute worst. Just trying to process and hopefully reach a understanding of everything from both ends of the spectrum.
-----------------

I'm not sure if it's inspiration or necessity. I'm very poor at articulating myself especially when put on the spot (I have a long list of people and ex-girlfriends that can vouch for me on that) so the more I could just slow things down and have time to think to say what I actually meant rather than just blurt out the first thing that came to mind seemed healthier.
As far as accessibility goes...For me I tend to write rather simplistic. I like to set a tone or idea more than using big unnecessary words that can sometimes just muddle the overall piece. I think sometimes it's the subject matter that can make a piece more complex. That being said. Some of my favorite pieces from others on DUP are so far out there that my interest peaks and I have to re-read it over and over again haha.
-----------------

This one is tricky haha. There is really no right answer.
'Solving' a poem is essentially trying to understand what the writer is conveying
and that's up to you to decide if that's what you want out of it.
and sometimes he or she (or at least me) doesn't even really know haha.
If it made you think or feel anything I would consider that a good thing. If you finished and left with 'I don't get it.' That's perfectly fine as well. No one's judging.
-----------------

It helped me sort of fit/grow into my own skin with writing as it has changed multiple times over the years. Especially just the act of sharing it/actually getting well thought out critique rather than the classic 'this sucks' the world of internet can give a person. I've recommended it to others before who seemed to have the same problem as me with sharing their writings in a public forum.
There is SO MUCH you can choose to go through if you want. Sometimes you'll find a winner and it might become one of your favorite things to share and talk about.

https://www.facebook.com/DUpoetry/posts/10157473279358665

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poets/Harold-Weathervein/
7th March 2:42pm
admin DU Webmistress

Poet of the Week: Benzy_420
poetry 4832
Our next Poet of the Week catch up is with Benzy_420.

I needed a place to share my poetry and song writing with likeminded and passionate people. And after a brisk skim through google results, DUP seemed like the right choice.
-------------

Without a doubt. Never before has poetry had such a platform to flourish. These are early days, but remarkable advancements for the popularity and “health” of poetry. Give it time, maybe music will be outdated and poetry will become the new norm 🤷‍♂️
-------------

Kendrick Lamar. How a mind can be fostered by such a difficult environment and still be able to produce work with the level of depth that To Pimp a Butterfly contains. The flows. The stories. Whether you agree with his points, his penmanship is truly awe inspiring.
-------------

What inspires you personally to write?

Music, anxiety, and powerful, compelling emotions. But mostly music.
-------------

How important is the accessibility of meaning?

Incredibly so. While there is value in the niches of art, the talent lies within captivating a large audience. It’s not a simple task to be relatable, as many poets will know. In fact, it’s easy to assume that we’re misunderstood and outsiders. And we ALL feel that, if not always, then most of the time. So to be able to take a personal truth and have it translate across continents, that’s absolutely sensational.
-------------

That would depend on your personal position. Poetry is subjective. There is no “should” or “ought” when it comes to poetry. If I want to label this message as poetry, you cannot deny me that right.
-------------

There is a vast array talented wordsmiths that frequent this site that can inspire, motivate, console, relate, and defy expectations. From the simple to the sublime, there’s something for everyone.

https://www.facebook.com/DUpoetry/posts/10157399632733665

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poets/Benzy_420/
Edited 2nd March 9:16am
admin DU Webmistress

NaPoWriMo 2021

admin (DU Webmistress)
NaPoWriMo 2021 Registration Now Open!
Sign up to take part in Poetry Month at Deep Underground Poetry. The challenge is to write a poem a day throughout the month of April.

Find out more and sign up on this thread: https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/speakeasy/read/11827/

P.S. Be sure to watch the promo video, put together by the event hosts.

25th February 11:51am
admin DU Webmistress

Poet of the Week: Countrygirl96
poetry 4807
Our next Poet of the Week catch up is with Countrygirl96.

I choose Deep Underground Poetry because it is so easy to use. It always is a good place for my poetry since my top category is Erotic Poetry. It's just a safe and awesome place to display my work. Plus, all the support from other members and the comments are so inspiring!
-------------

Yes, I do believe social Media contributes alot to the well-being of Poetry! You can share your poetry with a click of a button and thousands of people can be reading and admiring your work. Which is awesome!
-------------

Edgar Allen Poe and Robert Frost inspired me most. My poetry isn't like their poetry but, I live reading their pieces and I thought I want to see if I'm any good at this. I never imagined I would get all the support I have gotten on this website but I can thank Edgar Allen Poe and Robert Frost for the inspiration to try!
-------------

What inspires me personally is my past experiences and the forbidden fantasies that play out in my mind. Then I put them on paper and turn it into this masterpiece. I take very dark and bitter teenage years and I turn them into this heroic poem of streangth and courage. Then I can turn around and write a sexy erotic fantasy that makes peoples jaw drop. I feel if you don't find the meaning in your poetry it isn't finished yet. If you read something and you don't know of what the purpose of that piece is than it wasn't ready to be published. Meaning of writing is the most important part to any book, poem, article and ect.
-------------

I believe poems shouldn't need to be solved. We all ready poems and we appreciate come up with different visions of that poem. As long as you figure out the meaning you can take that poem which ever you wish!
-------------

I would recommend Deep Underground Poetry because it is so simple to use and you get so much support from other members that it make you want to post more and more! It's so much fun being part of Deep Underground Poetry and I am so honored to have so much support from the other members. It's truly a blessing!

https://www.facebook.com/DUpoetry/posts/10157399617503665

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poets/Countrygirl96/
12th February 6:14pm
admin DU Webmistress

Poet of the Week: SweetKittyCat5
poetry 4775
Our next Poet of the Week catch up is with SweetKittyCat5.

As a published Erotica and Romance Author, Deep Underground Poetry gives each poetess/poet/writer/author a visionary platform for readers, to not only read such beautiful works of art, but to feel the ambience behind the tempo of each word from that poet/poetess’ pen, the poems, the poetry, narratives for which it inspires.
--------------

In my opinion, social media can be utilized as a great vessel for society to know of you, to get your name in the poetry community, or as market/advertising tool; it can also, break you, or make you, that it why it is so important in this day and age to have a lifelong goal or an uplifting agenda to assist in gaining pleasing acclaims for yourself and not wallow in negativity to hinder your progress when it pertains to your craft.
--------------

My greatest poetic muse I must give credence to is the late poetess, Maya Angelou, an American poet, singer, memoirist, and civil rights activist, a worthy pioneer to acclaim. A woman of talent, art, and compassion, found within her greatest creativity still here today; beautiful stanzas that makes one ponder of such depth in originality. A voice of triumph she gave us as if she had written her enriching words to you and for you.
--------------

I am an avid marathon runner, and writing gives me a sense of direction, inner peace, and a deep appreciation for anyone willing to read my works of art, or listen to my spoken word entries showcased on Deep Underground Poetry.
--------------

Writing comes from the heart and administered in small mental does to the reader’s mind, it is meant to ease their cerebral cortex into a state of released endorphins and a keen awareness.
--------------

The ambience to be among great poets and poetess; the freedom to have a voice, gainful recognition, requiring knowledge as you propel your creativity to higher plateaus of poetry; to have one receive positive feedback, the contests without pressure, the spoken word segments, and the willingness to make one’s writing better in every sector/genre to submit as a hobby or for publication.

https://www.facebook.com/DUpoetry/posts/10157388641183665

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poets/SweetKittyCat5/
23rd January 4:26pm
admin DU Webmistress

Poet of the Week: brokentitanium
poetry 4736
Our next Poet of the Week catch up is with brokentitanium.

Not sure – I think maybe DUP chose me? I had been feeling an increasing desire to share my writing, in an encouraging space with an easy platform for interaction. When I went looking online, DUP presented itself. After a bit of poking around here, I could tell it was the right place for me.
------------

Do you think social media contributes to the well-being of poetry?

Well, I think poetry will always thrive with or without social media…. but it’s fun to be able to interact and learn and connect with poets all over the world and from different backgrounds. I feel deeply connected through poetry with some people who I would never even encounter in my “real” life, and for that I’m very grateful. Also, for better or worse, social media provides each of us whatever level of anonymity we need to bare our souls, and THAT’s good for poetry. It’s not always pretty, but it’s authentic, and the world could use a lot more of that.
------------

I’ve read many “essential” poetry anthologies over the years – it all inspires me but I’m not very good at picking favourites! The only names that pop instantly to mind are Dr Seuss and Kahlil Gibran. But I listen to music a lot, and I’m inspired by the lyrical prowess of a diverse range of artists, from Don MacLean to Eminem to U2 to The Cure to “Weird Al” Yankovic to Counting Crows….. yeah, my playlists are bizarre.
------------

I usually write in response to intense emotion, or to something I’ve observed that strikes me as an interesting metaphor. I write to vent negative feelings, to figure out confusing ones or to try and capture joy. I’m inspired by nature, relationships and the ridiculousness of being human. I often strive to convey some sort of meaning and truth, and I love it when the reader “gets” what I mean. But, it’s also pretty cool when someone comes up with a different meaning than the one I originally had in mind.
------------

If I wanted to work hard to solve something, I would do quadratic formulas or jigsaw puzzles, not read poetry! I do enjoy contemplating the metaphors in a poem, but if it hasn’t first hooked me with emotion, beautiful language or a rhythmic form, I’m not likely to stick around long enough to bother. When it comes to writing – yes, sometimes I’m in the mood to work very hard solving the problems of rhythm and rhyme and form… but other times I just spill whatever comes to me, and people seem to connect with those poems. I don’t think there are any “shoulds” in poetry, anyway!
------------

I’ve found DUP to be a safe space to express myself and just be who I am. The other poets here have been supportive and non-judgemental. There seems to be something here for everyone, from those who just want to vent once in a while to those who are seriously working on the craft of poetry. The sense of community is great - I’ve found some kindred spirits here who have helped me through some really rough times. And, there’s always something awesome to read!

https://www.facebook.com/DUpoetry/posts/10157303778883665

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poets/brokentitanium/