PUBLIC OPEN GROUP
Dispatch Box
Currently showcasing our Poet of the Week Facebook features.
Join Group
Page 6 of 17
17th June 9:20am
admin DU Webmistress

Related submission no longer exists.
Podcast episode 2 has landed!
https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poems/350556-the-poetcast-project-episode-2---the/

Thank you to the The Poetcast Project; organisers and contributors.
9th June 9:26pm
admin DU Webmistress

Poet of the Week: Thetravelingfairy
poetry 2775
Our next featured poet is Thetravelingfairy, who has been a member of Deep Underground Poetry since 2017. She has so far amassed a collection of over 150 poems, often on dark themes, or about self exploration and love. Thetravelingfairy also recently completed #NaPoWriMo2019 (poetry month challenge).

Why did you chose Deep Underground Poetry?

I wouldn’t say I chose DUP, but rather DUP chose me. I was browsing the internet with the intention of reading some dark poetry and a few of them caught my eye. After reading a couple and seeing what a neat community it was, I decided to join.
----------

Do you think social media contributes to the well-being of poetry?

Social media undoubtedly contributes to the well being (and sometimes detriment) of many things. I think that social media has brought attention to poetry as a whole, as I feel it doesn’t get nearly enough appreciation today. With the aid of social media, we can give poetry the credit it deserves.
----------

Who is/are your greatest poetic inspiration/s?

Joseph Kerschbaum and Edgar Allen Poe are two poets that have inspired me to pick up my pen.
----------

What inspires you personally to write? How important is the accessibility of meaning?

I have my personal trials and experiences to thank as they are the real motivators when it comes to my inks. Accessibility of meaning is not what I think about when I write. Meaning is important, but limits the poem to a specific idea. When I write I hope that there is no meaning and that it instead evokes a feeling, and that feeling is up to the reader to interpret, that’s the magic of poetry.
----------

Should one have to work hard to solve the poem?

The meaning of poetry is not meant to be solved, but rather understood, or experienced. A good poem transcends any meaning one could give it, and that requires little solving.

https://www.facebook.com/DUpoetry/posts/10156763178968665

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poets/Thetravelingfairy/
6th June 2:37pm
admin DU Webmistress

Poet of the Week: Pho3nix19xx
poetry 2769
Here's our first Poet of the Week feature from 2019 (I'll catch up eventually!) it's... Pho3nix19xx. A member of Deep Underground Poetry since 2016, Pho3nix19xx writes poems and song lyrics on everything from love to politics.

Why did you chose Deep Underground Poetry?

I chose DUP because I was looking for a place to share my writing online for free without losing my ownership. I tried other writing sites before finding Deep Underground Poetry, but they either so geared toward member payment that it was not worthwhile to join without paying, or did not explicitly state that writers maintained the rights to their manuscripts once submitted. The fact that DUP offered both, made joining an easy choice. Also, after joining, I quickly discovered the amazing and supportive community that DUP offers. The level of talent is truly amazing.
----------

Yes, I do. The continuous access to poetry via social media has made it easier than ever to find inspiration, subject matter, themes, and new ideas. Furthermore, the ability to instantly share poetry means now more than ever, writing of all genres can reach a much broader audience than ever before. At the same time however, I also believe that social media is hurting the well-being of not just poetry, but all forms of writing. I say this because although writing can be shared with a single click or tap, it can be stolen just as quickly. This is particularly troubling because the anonymity social media offers, means that it is nearly impossible to fully protect writer's work.
----------

I don't really have many actual poetic inspirations per say. To be honest, I really only have two that I can think of who are actual poets. Those being Marianne Williamson and Allan Safarik. My other writing inspirations include Canadian author Candace Savage, British authors Berlie Doherty and Robert Muchamore. I also find inspiration from American hip/hop artists Machine Gun Kelly and South Park Mexican (SPM).
----------

What inspires you personally to write?

I think what inspires me the most to write, is just life in general. I firmly believe that as a writer, regardless of genre, it is my (our) duty to tell the stories of those who cannot tell the stories themselves. One of my favourite all time quotes comes from Pablo Picasso, who explains it perfectly when he says: "What do you think a writer is? An imbecile who only has eyes, if he is a painter, or ears if he is a musician, or a lyre in every chamber of his heart if he is a poet, or even, if he is a boxer, just his muscles? Far from it: at the same time he is also a political being, constantly aware of the heartbreaking, passionate, or delightful things that happen in the world, shaping himself completely in their image."
----------

How important is the accessibility of meaning?

This is a tricky one. For me personally, it is very important for the meaning of my writing to be easily accessible. This comes from what I said earlier about telling stories of those who cannot. I do, however, believe there is definitely a time when the meaning of a manuscript is best left inaccessible. It honestly depends on the writer, the manuscript their writing, and even the intent the piece is being written with. Sometimes its best to create discussion by leaving the reader guessing.
----------

That depends, who says all poems are meant to be solved, or even have something to solve? I think, again, it comes down to the intent the poet is writing with. For example, you can look at a Shakespearean sonnet and spend hours trying to unlock what exactly is being said and meant. On the other hand, you can look at a poem like "Carrots" by Lorna Crozier, and instantly know that there's nothing that needs unlocking.

https://www.facebook.com/DUpoetry/posts/10156763147938665

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poets/Pho3nix19xx/
2nd June 2:04pm
admin DU Webmistress

Poet of the Week: Erotic_Goddess
poetry 2755
Our next Poet of the Week catch up is with Erotic_Goddess, who has been a member of Deep Underground Poetry since early 2016. As her username suggests, she does indeed write erotic poetry. However, she also writes on a range of other subjects; everything from love to despair.

Why did you choose Deep Underground Poetry?

I chose deep Underground poetry because it was a lively and well established community with many talented poets that I felt I could learn and grow from.
------------

Do you think social media contributes to the well-being poetry?

I think social media definitely contributes to the well being of poetry... people just don't pick up a book anymore.
------------

Pablo Neruda, Charles Bukowski, Edgar Allen Poe are my inspirations.
------------

What inspires you personally to write? How important is the accessibility of meaning?

Writing is my passion... It is both therapeutic and artistic... it allows me to express my feelings, tell my story and inspire others. The accessibility of meaning is very important.
------------

I like to write poetry that tricks and plays with the mind. Its interesting to see how each reader interprets one poem differently.

https://www.facebook.com/DUpoetry/posts/10156763119408665

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poets/Erotic_Goddess/
23rd May 2:36pm
admin DU Webmistress

Poet of the Week: DecipherMe
poetry 2721
Our next Poet of the Week catch up is with DecipherMe, a member of Deep Underground Poetry since 2014. He has a large portfolio of poetry, tackling a broad range of subjects. DecipherMe also has published work to his name, in the form of a poetry book.

I joined Deep Underground Poetry at a turning point in my life. I was lonely and scared, and I was on my way to a mental breakdown.

But I kept writing poetry and wanted my poems read, so even though I was too afraid of people in person, Deep Underground Poetry gave me a virtual world where I could still see my poetry affect people.
------------

I don't believe social media necessarily helps lead to the better well-being poetry, but I believe it leads to the better well-being of poets.

Poets aren't guaranteed a good life. Many of the most critical poets in history fell to suicide, other early deaths or just lived long unhappy lives and never saw their poems reach anyone.

Having social media communities like Deep Underground Poetry let these poems be read by many people and there is feedback. It doesn't give the poet fame or a career, but it helps the poet psychologically, so they can feel their poems wanted, even on a smaller platform. That's something John Keats would envy.
------------

I am most inspired by John Keats' poem "Bright Star". It is my favorite poem complete with melancholy and love, but also incorporates a grandiose rhythm and diction. Other poets of his Romantic era have helped as well.

Though I don't actively read Keats, "Bright Star" is how I started writing in English.

My biggest poetic inspiration is Pablo Neruda and his compilation "20 poemas de amor y una canción desesperada". When I started getting good at poetry, I was still writing in Spanish. Neruda's surrealism, intense images and symbols, melancholic, but passionate tone and soft lyricality carried on into my English poetry as I shaped my verse with Keat's grandiosity.

Imagists like E. E. Cummings helped me with developing my intense imagery style.

After a while, I diverged from just love poems and into broader themes like mental health and faith, while enjoying some sci-fi, fantasy and horror genre writing.

My poetry has developed to a point of difficulty in comprehension while continuing explosive images. As I developed a more cryptic, but aesthetic form, poets like Arthur Rimbaud helped push me forward, as well as random poets I passed by.
------------

I write poetry because I want to feel other people's hearts. My poetry's meaning is often hard to access. That's because my goal in poetry is an emotional one. When people read my poetry, it's nice if they find clear meanings for everything, but the images aren't trying to convey a coherent idea as much as a feeling. When it comes to a lot of my poems, I don't really want readers to have to debate with each other on what my poems absolutely mean because they don't actually have an absolute meaning even though they have themes and emotions.

I write poetry to rephrase common things as beautiful, satirize the absurdity of secular and commercial life and to consume my reader in highly detailed, multi-abstracted worlds and scenarios by each poem that their brains can take a break from active analysis and
just experience and understand subjectively and intuitively. it allows my poetry to resonate with people on a primal level through schemas. Also, that way the poem can apply for many years and isn't limited to an objective meaning only applicable in a few contexts.

I write to survive for hundreds of years, through heart, and I want to become one of the most renowned and essential poets of the 21st century.
------------

The way I think of poetry, I don't think a lasting poem should be solvable. Even after hard studying, it should still have an allusiveness that allows reinterpretation.

There are poems that should be easy to solve, and those are poems that require broad immediate feedback, usually promotional poems: many activist poems, manifestos and the like, social media poems and philosophy, as well as greeting cards.

Though, easier to solve poetry is necessary. It doesn't last long, but easier to solve poetry is the poetry that people can most immediately rely on. Even in the simplicity, it offers ideas paired with a poetic sensibility that allows for quicker digestion during everyday life. It also has played a major significance in the history of humanity since easily accessible language with poetic syntax sources from oral traditions.

Since writing began, though, poetry became more complex and, due to being written, it has been able to afford confusing the reader in the first read, and poetry that maximized on the affordabilities became longer lasting. Most easier to solve poetry will likely not be remembered for two reasons:
a) The language lacks timelessness and novelty.
>Even if one easy to solve poem is given exceptional praise, once the situation to which the poem responded is over, the poem has little abstraction that would give it reinterpretation in later situations.
>Because the easier to solve poetry's interpretation is very common and limited, unless it offers a colloquialism, each context would rehash the interpretation while no single poem's language sticks. The early poems might be archived for introducing the interpretation, but the majority of the rehashings would be lost.
b) Much of it is meant for spoken word, not print and thus will only be as accessible as the audio/video rendition of it.
>Given that currently spoken word is dispersed mostly by YouTube and other social media and have little market value in CDs and DVDs or online downloads, there are few long-term places where people will be able to find collections of spoken word.

There are exceptions, though, because it is important to remember the relatability in the rhetorical effect of vernacular language. Even a difficult poem has to apply vernacular language at some place in order to have a variety of tempo.

The love poem and the comedic poem are different than most poems in the regard of being solved because they both have to be solved since they ask the audience to love them or to laugh. That can often constrict the novelty of such poems, but their images and diction don't have to be solved as easily as their meaning and can offer novelty to their vernacular situation. For comedic poems, some early star examples are from Lewis Carroll. There are many others that are more modern though I don't often read comedic poems. For love poems, the examples are endless.
------------

Why do you recommend Deep Underground Poetry?

Deep Underground Poetry is a site where poets can be heard, whether they become famous or not. It's also a place where poets can test the ground for their poetry and see other poets and their styles.

Personally, I developed my writing style by looking through this site at poets I liked and testing it with commenters and followers. Without the site, I would still have to develop my work on my own, without anyone to bounce off of. My friends and family don't fall into my audience and aren't into poetry. I credit my development as a poet to this virtual space where any poetry can happen.

https://www.facebook.com/DUpoetry/posts/10156724622528665

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poets/DecipherMe/
18th May 8:49am
admin DU Webmistress

The Poetcast Project - DU Podcast NOW LIVE!
poetry 2694
I'm so pleased and excited to announce a new development on Deep Underground Poetry; the launch of a regular podcast. This has been put together and run by some fantastic members of this site, especially for your listening pleasure.

Find out more, and access episodes, by following The Poetcast Project account: https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poets/ThePoetcastProject/

We're supporting this project as the official podcast of deepundergroundpoetry.com

You can also listen on the following platforms

Youtube: https://youtu.be/VWt13f18xqA
Anchor FM: https://anchor.fm/thepoetcastproject
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/3Hfv1OhyGXxYaGb2XwUthw
ITunes: coming soon
16th May 2:32pm
admin DU Webmistress

Poet of the Week: samael
poetry 2681
Our next Poet of the Week catch up is with Samael, who has been a member of Deep Underground Poetry for nearly two years. Samael has a large collection of poetry and a knack for creating eye-catching titles. He writes on a range of subjects, often with the common theme of love.

Samael, we salute you this week as our poet in the spotlight! You are a true gem when it comes to both writing as well as lending your time and critique to the poems of other members. You are much appreciated and DUP keeps getting better and better, with poets like you, as part of our community!

I got tired of emotionless feedback on poems I posted at allpoetry.com. I stumbled upon DUP and get quality feedback that helps me better my writing at times.
------------

yes and no. it feeds the fire so to speak to put it out there and let people know Poetry is still alive & well, but anything that takes away from physical books I frown upon anymore. nothing beats the feel and smell of a book in hand; I’d much rather burn kindles lol. then again I don’t throw my tongue lashing poems on facebook or Instagram because I’m a closet poet so what do I know lol.
------------

Yvor Winters, Ogden Nash, John Holmes, Theodore Roethke, Paul Engle, Hy Sobiloff, Barbara Howes, Randall Jarrell, John Berryman, Sylvia Plath, Jean Garrigue, LilDragonFly , AtoMikbomb, crimsin, Charles Bukowski, Shadoe, Ahavati, Conrad Aiken,and Jennifer Macbain-Stephens.

Lost Love, and anything that I’ve read pulsing a feeling through me I’m grateful for.

If you get a chance go to your local library and borrow or buy “The spoken arts treasury vol 1,2,and3” on cd, it’s been one of the best rides I’ve been on to introduce me to amazing new dead poets.
------------

LOVE ! God there’s nothing more inspiring than a love of something. I love the trees, love the landscape, love the sea, love her eyes, love tacos. it’s the passion of anything in every poet that drives them; whether it be to beauty or madness.
------------

It’s a case by case basis. Some poems poets lock away feelings, gestures, and thoughts under layer after layer of hidden meaning you have to strive and wring out like a dirty mop to get the meaning; others are scratch and sniff on the surface strawberry scent pleasant.
------------

It’s a nice place to drink a cup of coffee and unravel your eyes away from the regular day to day stuff, or just spill your feelings and guts out because you can’t tell fellow office workers about this killer stanza arrangement built on the tip toes of alliteration & love of a strangers eyes.

https://www.facebook.com/DUpoetry/posts/10156692989238665

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poets/samael/
10th May 3:01pm
admin DU Webmistress

Poet of the Week: blocat
poetry 2627
Our next Poet of the Week catch up is with blocat, who has a collection of nearly 400 poems and short stories. Blocat describes himself as a "light hearted old scrote" and brings much humour and comedy to his writing.

I chose DUP Because it’s radical. And doesn’t sensor work. I can always access my work as it is listed in alphabetical order a great facility.

Some social media is, yes, but not all. There are sites I have left that were full of carping critics with nothing good to say about anyone who was a bit different.
----------

I like a lot of classical poets and modern ones, too. I have a dislike of “Highbrow” stuff that is pretentious.
----------

I have always been a writer, though I came to poetry late Short stories especially humorous ones. Humour is a very underrated genre in poetry I think.
----------

Not necessarily, I’ve had of my best poems come to me in a flash and need very little editing. I’ve had others that I’ve struggled with. Those I leave for a few days and go back to.
----------

I recommend DUP because I met some really great poets and learned much by reading their work. I find the site vibrant, creative and encouraging.

https://www.facebook.com/DUpoetry/posts/10156677482978665

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poets/blocat/
3rd May 9:08pm
admin DU Webmistress

Poet of the Week: Nari
poetry 2605
Our next Poet of the Week catch up is with Nari who has been a member since July 2018. Nari is already immersed in the DU community; amassing a large collection of poetry and offering a unique writing style and perspective on humankind.

I chose Deep Underground Poetry because it has a user-friendly classic 90’s interface that transports back to a time when…
----------

Do you think that social media contributes to the well being of poetry?

Social media contributes to the well-being of poetry because it has the potential to engage valuable readership and dialogue; worldwide.
----------

My greatest poetic inspiration stems from direct experience, which seems to be never ending.
----------

The need to see myself in concrete form inspires me to write.

The accessibility of meaning is extremely important, since a writer should be able to draw the reader into his world; convincingly.
----------

Do you think that one should have to work hard to solve the meaning of the poem?

One should have to work hard to solve the problem, otherwise someone else would have already solved it.
----------

I recommend Deep Underground Poetry because you can plant yourself among a diverse milieu of writers, under a unifying theme.

https://www.facebook.com/DUpoetry/posts/10156668838963665

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poets/Nari/
30th April 4:16pm
admin DU Webmistress

Poet of the Week: marina2020
poetry 2588
Our next Poet of the Week catch up is with Marina2020, who has been a member of Deep Underground Poetry since January 2017. Marina has posted a sizeable collection of emotional poetry, both happy and sad.

I chose DUP because the name intrigued me at first and I was looking for a place to share my poems without anyone who knew me finding out.
----------

I think so, social media is a good way to share, comment, and get honest feedback on any writing. I love how on social media, I can find people who share the same interest in writing like I do. It really makes me feel like I'm getting honest feedback and it's great.
----------

I have always been a fan of Robert Frost and Edgar Allen Poe but I think my biggest inspiration is my high school English teacher. She always encouraged me to write and express myself through words.
----------

I get inspiration from many things. Mostly I write my feelings but I also get inspiration from nature, animals, and society. I personally think meaning isn't always necessary in writing. I think it's more about how each individual interprets the words.
----------

That's a hard questions. It really depends on the style of the writer. I prefer to write out exactly what I mean so everyone can understand easily. It is nice though, to have to think a little harder to fully grasp the meaning of a certain piece.
----------

DUP is such a good and inspiring community. I really feel at home here. DUP is an amazing way to meet other poets who are reading your work because they truly care about giving honest feedback.

https://www.facebook.com/DUpoetry/posts/10156668806313665

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poets/marina2020/
25th April 8:52am
admin DU Webmistress

Poet of the Week: prometheus5290
poetry 2571
Our next Poet of the Week catch up is with prometheus5290, who has been a member of Deep Underground Poetry since 2013. He is keen to have a positive influence on the world, and writes poems on Buddhism, Taoism and meditation, along with some sensual and erotic poetry.

Why did you choose, Deep Underground Poetry?

I chose dup because I was looking for a community to share my poetry and receive helpful feedback.
----------

I think social media is great for exposing people to poetry, and for being part of poetry innovation.
----------

ee cummings. Henry david Thoreau. The Mahasiddhas
----------

I have just always wanted to be a writer, but I cannot say I know why. I think poetry is a beautiful outlet for ideas, some of which benefit from easy access, some from difficult access.
----------

sometimes
----------

dup is great for getting feedback from other poets, and getting to read poets from every demographic.

https://www.facebook.com/DUpoetry/posts/10156628787928665

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poets/prometheus5290/
20th April 8:54pm
admin DU Webmistress

Poet of the Week: SatInUGal
poetry 2549
Our next Poet of the Week catch up is with SatinUGal (Kumar) who has been with us at Deep Underground Poetry since December 2015. He has amassed a large collection of poetry, on a range of subjects, including lots of senryu and visual poetry.

I joined DUP after a dramatic resurgence in poetry-writing in my life. I remember looking around the web for a safe place to share, explore, and develop this art. It helped that Deep Underground encourages the responsible sharing and reading of erotic poetry, as it was a big part of my resurgence. I had found a mentor in that area, and I was having so much fun with poetry again.
-------------

I absolutely do! I belong to a private poetry group on Facebook with some mostly local other poets. I love the opportunity to conduct a mini, more personal version of what DUP does, in that environment.
-------------

Over the course of my life, I have read many poems by William Carlos Williams, Richard Brautigan, Charles Bukowski, Robert Haas, Gary Snyder, Allen Ginsberg, Julia Vinograd, and more recently Rupi Kaur. The thing that ties these poets together for me is a focus on less flowery language and a more raw, vital feel. My high school English professor my senior year told us to avoid "excess verbosity" in our writings. I have taken that to heart and look for that in poets. We also studied Ezra Pound, who wrote about "the thing itself" - that was meaningful to me.
-------------

The times I feel I need to write typically follow an observation from an angle I had never seen before. Often, the observation teaches me a small part of a new language where things like paradox are not as limiting as they usually are. I am thrilled and must jot down the observation. I kind of see myself as a translator of that language. If I am doing my job well, then the meaning(s) should be accessible.
Those are the moments of inspiration, the things that thrill me. Other times I respond to prompts, given by others or myself, as a way of keeping the blade sharp, so to speak. If I am really lucky, sometimes those turn into moments of inspiration as well.
-------------

I don't think so. Fellow DUPer JohnnyBlaze recently gave me an "honest critique" of an old poem of mine, where he took me to task a bit for being vague and veiled with my references, and I totally agreed with his criticism. I don't think poetry should be inside jokes, or rubik's cubes.
-------------

Because it is a community of artists in the medium I love, and I can find pathways to new forms of expression, as well as fellow poets who do it similarly to myself. In that regard, it is a very affirming ritual, to be here.
-SatInUGal (Kumar)

https://www.facebook.com/DUpoetry/posts/10156628752328665

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poets/SatInUGal/