Screw It ... Do we really need grammatically correct poetry?

82.00% • 41 votes • It needn't be perfect, but good grammar is important.
12.00% • 6 votes • Please can we have 100% perfection grammatically
6.00% • 3 votes • NO........need 4 grammar!!!!! STUPID!!!!!
Total votes: 50
Only members can vote. Not a member? Sign Up Now

Go to page:

Screw It ... Do we really need grammatically correct poetry?

poet Anonymous

I think it depends if a person has asked for honest critique or not? I don't think it has anything to do with embarrassment as such, as it does have something to do with helping a person to grow. Obviously I do admit that some people can be a little bit over the top with it. Fair do's.

People pick at my spelling and grammar all the time, and (because I've asked for honest critique - it's important to mention that fact) I find that useful. I'm thankful for it. However, life is just that little bit happier if I don't appreciate a critique to just say thank you and move on, rather than lose any sleep over it.

I think it all comes down to individual taste, as with most things.

RevolutionAL
Alistair Plint
Dangerous Mind
South Africa 29awards
Joined 24th July 2012
Forum Posts: 1257

Yeah ... This is definately not a thread regarding critique but...
The options...

1) Honest Critique : - "Please be brutally honest with me and help me learn, grow and hone my craft".

2) Friendly Critique :- "Please say it's "nice" if you think it is, I'm here for love not breaking boundaries or anything".

3) No Comment :- I couldn't give a hoot what you think so just "shut up"!

Why should my poetry suffer, based on a nun who needed a blow job once?

I keep at it on DU for the honest critique and the harder the better. I'm not here to sit stagnant in the same perpetual spiral of reguritated crap. I want hard hitting truth. So give a go at it, and smack a decent punch that teaches me new avenues and grows me as a writer.

Indeed you know back in the day JJ , it was you who taught me not to end every line with full stops. (imagine the continued crap, people would have had to put with had you not done that)

So please don't make the 1 or 2 people we have left willing to use poetry eyes and help us, despondent. Most have left, we're left with the ninny comments like "nice" , "awesome" and it sucks and certainly doesn't help me any. It's hard enough to get decent critique with out chasing it away!

Bring on the hardest of punches at my stuff, I'm here to break boundaries and learn and I am not egocentric enough to believe anything I write is perfect and flawless.

Now, back to the grammar part of the post which was why we set up camp here...

MayRayn
May Rayn
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 10th May 2016
Forum Posts: 113

Poetryman said:... So my advice to you is, don't piss off others for your own self gratification. Be nice, be polite and if you must correct someone elses error, do it privately.
JJ

I am curious - when someone encourages honest criticism, isn't that an invitation to critique the poem, not for the commenter's gratification, but to give the poet feedback? As a poet, I benefit from seeing comments to others' poems as well as to my own - I learn from public critiques. If all critiques are private, the learning experience is diminished.

I would suggest to those who prefer private comments to either say so at the end of their poems or not to ask for honest criticism.

In answer to the original post, yes - grammatical mistakes distract and detract from the poem. Sometimes they sneak through, but I try hard to hunt them down and evict them from my own poems.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

you make a lot of sense, May

I don't get why people get embarrassed over a spelling mistake. it's perfectly normal to make mistakes

couple of spelling mistakes might not knock the poem off it's kilt, but there are poems which are riddled with errors and they destroy the poem

if you were a singer and went off key what would your listeners think

why would singing be any different to writing

critique is gone to shit here. bunch of ass kissers and back slappers.

it's the fucking underground. The harder side of poetry.

Quze
Strange Creature
Joined 19th Oct 2015
Forum Posts: 5

I agree with lepperochan on that on, but there are a few poems out their.

poet Anonymous

lepperochan said:you make a lot of sense, May

I don't get why people get embarrassed over a spelling mistake. it's perfectly normal to make mistakes

couple of spelling mistakes might not knock the poem off it's kilt, but there are poems which are riddled with errors and they destroy the poem

if you were a singer and went off key what would your listeners think

why would singing be any different to writing

critique is gone to shit here. bunch of ass kissers and back slappers.

it's the fucking underground. The harder side of poetry.

i fall victim to this because sometimes i really do wonder if people mean that they want honest critique. the couple times i have done it, it either falls on deaf ears or they get upset by it. EVEN THOUGH they have the poem as listed for honest critique. i would really appreciate honest critique and would be willing to offer it up, but i guess i get a little too worried about how others read my words since i can't say them to their face.

now grammar...it just makes it easier to read when a piece uses good grammar. i'm all for breaking the rules, but i'm also a fan of knowing the rules before i break them.

RevolutionAL
Alistair Plint
Dangerous Mind
South Africa 29awards
Joined 24th July 2012
Forum Posts: 1257

It works both ways too.

This woman for example, if she says she wants honest critique and you come pussy footing about with "nice" / "absolutely" / "perculiar". She will fuck you up! She meant honest and she meant critique..  And when she don't want none the comments are off...

Perhaps go to the loo before you click this link cos I pissed myself when I read her comment!

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poems/252660-air-bubble/

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poems/252844-poem-of-acceptance/

The second one killed me... From this day forth McKenzie should be the worms name in honour of the punch!
;)

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

RevolutionAL said:It works both ways too.

This woman for example, if she says she wants honest critique and you come pussy footing about with "nice" / "absolutely" / "perculiar". She will fuck you up! She meant honest and she meant critique..  And when she don't want none the comments are off...

Perhaps go to the loo before you click this link cos I pissed myself when I read her comment!

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poems/252660-air-bubble/

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poems/252844-poem-of-acceptance/

The second one killed me... From this day forth McKenzie should be the worms name in honour of the punch!
;)

Commented on the first, which is quite a decent poem.

The second one ..... meh ...... not really enough substance to warrant saying it lacks substance or reading it more than once and risk my neck on the chopping block. Nonetheless, I'll say it here. Oh, wait .... I just did.

Autumn
Pensplat
Twisted Dreamer
1awards
Joined 17th Jan 2015
Forum Posts: 25

I agree with your comment RevolutionAL. I'm just wondering how many here are qualified or have enough experience to inform you of what you want to know? I know I'm certainly not. I suppose if you find someone you're looking for it would be best to resort to them for future posts. As one who has been on many sites, I can tell you they all suffer from the same outcomes. Just a thought. I admire your writing. Keep at it.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

What's important is that (y)our poems are read more than once, which can be achieved with either Good Grammar or Bad Grammer.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

RevolutionAL said:Yeah ... This is definately not a thread regarding critique but...
The options...

1) Honest Critique : - "Please be brutally honest with me and help me learn, grow and hone my craft".

2) Friendly Critique :- "Please say it's "nice" if you think it is, I'm here for love not breaking boundaries or anything".

3) No Comment :- I couldn't give a hoot what you think so just "shut up"!

Why should my poetry suffer, based on a nun who needed a blow job once?

I keep at it on DU for the honest critique and the harder the better. I'm not here to sit stagnant in the same perpetual spiral of reguritated crap. I want hard hitting truth. So give a go at it, and smack a decent punch that teaches me new avenues and grows me as a writer.

Indeed you know back in the day JJ , it was you who taught me not to end every line with full stops. (imagine the continued crap, people would have had to put with had you not done that)

So please don't make the 1 or 2 people we have left willing to use poetry eyes and help us, despondent. Most have left, we're left with the ninny comments like "nice" , "awesome" and it sucks and certainly doesn't help me any. It's hard enough to get decent critique with out chasing it away!

Bring on the hardest of punches at my stuff, I'm here to break boundaries and learn and I am not egocentric enough to believe anything I write is perfect and flawless.

Now, back to the grammar part of the post which was why we set up camp here...

I'm just going to settle for repeatedly kicking you in the nuts.

It'll have the same effect.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
sophiehunt
Sophie Hunt
Lost Thinker
United Kingdom 1awards
Joined 9th Nov 2016
Forum Posts: 16

While i am no acclaimed poet, I do love poetry so much. It is an art, an expression of self, a beautifully vulnerable space to medicate inner ills. I think that good grammar is good manners, as it allows the reader to follow your tale. However, that said, poetry is an art, and art should never be limited to a set of rules, I believe this stunts full expression and true, honest work. Reading a poem is like reading the hidden soul of man and that in its self is often not perfect. As long as I can follow, I am taken away by the flaw's of the human, most honestly detailed in his art.

Astyanax
Ceejay
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 23rd Feb 2010
Forum Posts: 748

I don't think I'd say that we 'need' grammatically correct poetry, but poetry that you can make sense of is more likely to be read and understood than a stream of mis-spelt, unpunctuated gibberish. I know there are those who consider that anything 'correct', or poetry that follows some rules of form (e.g. the sonnet) are an abomination and an insult to their wild, unconfined, inspirational flow of creativity, but it's also a fact that many who hold this view write really terrible poetry. I would never presume to correct their spelling or grammar (unless asked to do so), but I usually don't make it beyond about the fourth line, because deciphering the stuff is just too much of an effort.

FlingleBunt65
Twisted Dreamer
United Kingdom
Joined 2nd Oct 2013
Forum Posts: 13

Sometimes people go into a Art Gallery and mutter wtf is that? Others however, will see all manner of things and be delighted with the efforts of the artist (unknown to them it was a monkey or other animal) let loose with brush and some paint. The point being that nothing has to be perfect to be appreciated.

Go to page:
Go to: