Go to page:

Rhyme

Astyanax
Ceejay
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 23rd Feb 2010
Forum Posts: 748

Haiku - one of the easiest ways in the world to write really bad poetry.

SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 24awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 927

Jade-Pandora said:

Ah but that's a misnomer subscribed to by far too many, sorry to say.  Haiku (and other forms of Japanese poetry) is not by syllable count, but by sound symbols (sound symbols are shorter than syllables), and this does not apply to the form when written in English language.

Apologies, SatinU, if you were being humorous, I'm sleep-deprived at the moment so please pardon me won't you.  Thank you for listening anyway?

Jadey

Oh I'm fully aware of the 5-7-5 vs Japanese tradition. I appreciate both as art forms with great potential to unlock.

SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 24awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015

Astyanax said:Haiku - one of the easiest ways in the world to write really bad poetry.

Bad poetry exists in virtually every form, as does good poetry.

Astyanax
Ceejay
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 23rd Feb 2010

My point was that haiku is easier than most.

SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 24awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015

Astyanax said:My point was that haiku is easier than most.

Oh I agree. I think it's because it's such a popular recognizable (and misrepresented as Jade pointed out) format.

I grew up thinking that 5-7-5 was what a haiku is, and nothing more. When I went to Cal, Robert Hass was poet in residence and poet laureate, and I learned some about what haiku really is when I attended a talk and bought his book. Didn't change the fact that I love writing 5-7-5, so I continue to do it. I find that imposing harsh syllabic limitations can sometimes free me to arrive at "the thing itself" as Pound described it.

Astyanax
Ceejay
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 23rd Feb 2010

I don't use rhyme on all my poems, but this is a poem where I used rhyme, partly for humorous effect:

The Land of Sleep

The Land of Sleep is hard to reach
When you set out from Not Tired Beach.
Ahead stretch miles and miles of night,
But Slumber Point is not in sight.
Deep in the woods of Wide Awake,
You thresh around. Which path to take?
You try the route of Tranquil Thought,
But all your efforts come to nought.
Perhaps a book? The clock tolls one,
Too tired to read, you soldier on.
For hours, your thoughts and sleep contend;
God, will this journey never end?
As first light dawns, you sense a calm,
A peaceful, drowsy, healing balm.
Dozing, you drift through misty vales,
Stark wakefulness no more prevails,
Soft breezes blow, cool willows weep,
But just before the Gulf of Sleep,
One more shape looms, to your dismay:
Alas, it's Time To Get Up Bay.

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2289

My usual style is to free verse it
with rhymes scattered along the path

Rarely do I do an all out rhyme spill

Anonymous729
Strange Creature
South Africa
Joined 6th Jan 2019
Forum Posts: 2

Emotion is key...:)

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 5134

Tallen said:My usual style is to free verse it
with rhymes scattered along the path

Rarely do I do an all out rhyme spill

My friend, you should take the plunge. You’re familiar with my work. I got much more into rhyme schemes soon after I came to DU. Just by my practicing and learning more along the way, I’m accomplished in the rhyme formulaics. Once it becomes second nature, you can be much more at ease, and you realize it’s nothing to tie yourself up in knots about. I also still write free verse and Japanese short form poetry. To move freely among the plethora of ways to poetically express, is to know a truly total freedom.

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018

Jade-Pandora said:
My friend, you should take the plunge. You’re familiar with my work. I got much more into rhyme schemes soon after I came to DU. Just by my practicing and learning more along the way, I’m accomplished in the rhyme formulaics. Once it becomes second nature, you can be much more at ease, and you realize it’s nothing to tie yourself up in knots about. I also still write free verse and Japanese short form poetry. To move freely among the plethora of ways to poetically express, is to know a truly total freedom.

I wasn't ignoring You, here; I was giving it some thought and merit.

There is no "Self-Help" or Assisted Group for
rhyming.  Probably because most new writers find this avenue easier than free verse or prose.

Are there any good sites online or articles where I might study and build a foundation before I plunge into the deep (end of this rhyming pool)?

AnonymousBystander
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 28th Sep 2018
Forum Posts: 226

I hosted a competition called Borrowed Rhymes 1 of n https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/competitions/read/10487/ as I explain, "you take the end rhymes from a published poem and use them to make a different poem."

If you want to practice rhyme, you could try that ... It will also give you a chance to practice other aspects of poem construction.  

Also, I think I'll host it again in a week or so (I need to write a new example poem!), look out for Borrowed Rhymes 2 of n.

poet Anonymous

Tallen said:

There is no "Self-Help" or Assisted Group for
rhyming.  Probably because most new writers find this avenue easier than free verse or prose.

Are there any good sites online or articles where I might study and build a foundation before I plunge into the deep (end of this rhyming pool)?

With all due respect, allow me to give you probably the best piece of advice I ever received from my time here:

Read. Read. Read.

Study the published authors. Study other DU poets. Study rappers and beat performers. Eat up their rhymes until you know what it is to have some rhythm.

There’s no manual that can help with first hand experience. We learn by first dipping our foot in the pool.

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018

Miss_Sub said:

With all due respect, allow me to give you probably the best piece of advice I ever received from my time here:

Read. Read. Read.

Study the published authors. Study other DU poets. Study rappers and beat performers. Eat up their rhymes until you know what it is to have some rhythm.

There’s no manual that can help with first hand experience. We learn by first dipping our foot in the pool.

Way ahead of You  

I've been doing just that
but thank You for the reminder  and kind advice

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018

AnonymousBystander said:I hosted a competition called Borrowed Rhymes 1 of n https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/competitions/read/10487/ as I explain, "you take the end rhymes from a published poem and use them to make a different poem."

If you want to practice rhyme, you could try that ... It will also give you a chance to practice other aspects of poem construction.  

Also, I think I'll host it again in a week or so (I need to write a new example poem!), look out for Borrowed Rhymes 2 of n.

Oooo, sounds like fun
(work for me -- lol)

AnonymousBystander
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 28th Sep 2018
Forum Posts: 226

Hi ... I've set the competition Borrowed Rhymes 2 of n, going https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/competitions/read/10659/ if you're up for it.

Go to page:
Go to: