Go to page:

How much do you edit your work before you post it?

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

RevolutionAL
Alistair Plint
Dangerous Mind
South Africa 29awards
Joined 24th July 2012
Forum Posts: 1257

I whole heartedly agree with Philip Roth

What you read on the front page of my poetry pages won't ever be the same as when it originally landed. I edit and edit... Drop it...edit... Watch the critiques...edit and then go back to edit more later and again and again.

The thing for me, is that is how I grow. Where new ideas come from and where I am most in my comfort zone. Never dropped a perfect poem ever.

(That's just this little poetry hobby. The real stuff... Oh that is editted to death. Imagine handing in half ass copy and getting nailed with an error.)

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 3572

I hardly ever edit...

If I make a mistake as I am typing , that is the editing I do...

Normally the Muse drops it down , and there it is...

Last night's submission , to your competition , RevolutionAl ,

came out just as it is now...

I might have corrected one spelling , I can't remember...

Otherwise , it just flows , if I listen !

Ely
E.A.Rothwell
Dangerous Mind
Mexico 6awards
Joined 20th May 2018
Forum Posts: 297

Depends upon the poem.
Sometimes, with shorter pieces, the words will appear to spring from my pen on their own... and the only thing left for me to do is arrange them on the page.

On the other hand... there are pieces that begin as a stray word or a snippet of conversation, and require nurturing... feeding... pruning, and weeding.
I do know that they can  and do have a life of their own... and there is nothing that might not be a work-in-progress. *Jº

Ely
E.A.Rothwell
Dangerous Mind
Mexico 6awards
Joined 20th May 2018

It all depends on the piece.. some are fine as they are...
others I will rework as necessary to get down to the  meat... and easy on the seasoning
But no piece is sacred when it comes to the edit...

The poem isn't immune to an edit, ever... I change... why not my art?

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

thinlane said:After reading some of your comments I believe I'll be thinking hard about my editing style with my poetry. It's there to be worked on forever so why not revisit it? With my long fiction I edit like a madman so why am I so freeform and quick with my poetry I wonder? Something to mull over. I'm not talking about a word or two but even the structure.
I agree. Mostly because what sounds right in your mind doesn't always sound right once typed. Poetry is for me a mediation between what is divine and immortal (inspiration) and what is corruptible (the poet/the writer). So it may happen that the inspiring muse guides you through, as if under dictation. In this case major editing may not occur. But when the poet doesn't feel/listen correctly, the poem or writing may be subject to a process (long or brief) that requires editing, untill the muse is satisfied. That's how I see it. Juvenalis

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018

"Mostly because what sounds right in your mind doesn't always sound right once typed"

Only *if* as you say Juvenalis , one is not *receiving* correctly ;

Otherwise what sounds right in your mind is * always * right...

It is in mine...cause I and my muse are one as twisted sisters ,

though I am a mister I do not resist her , and if one has to edit ,

one deserves no credit...just my opinion...;)

poet Anonymous

Blackwolf said:"Mostly because what sounds right in your mind doesn't always sound right once typed"

one deserves no credit...just my opinion...;)
No poet is a god! So he/she can make mistakes. Regardless of what and how, we find ourselves as receptacles of the inspiration. So, in my modest opinion, we may need to ask and listen again. We are but human and humans are imperfect. Only very few, as far as we know, have had the gift of being able to write directly without editing. Others, even very great, have all relooked at their work, till it was perfect to match the inspiration.

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018

I disagree... We Are Gods With Amnesia Dreaming We Are Human !

"Only very few, as far as we know, have had the gift of being able to write directly without editing."

I most definitely have that gift !

However , I had to edit twice to post this !

LOL !

TodaysTomSawy3r
Tom Sawyer
Strange Creature
United States 1awards
Joined 4th July 2018
Forum Posts: 10

I typically like to have a solid artwork before I share it so ide say it takes a few good hours/days before I post anything original. Really depends on the length of the piece and depth of what I'm trying to say though.

Zazzles
Broomie
Tyrant of Words
United States 24awards
Joined 23rd Nov 2013
Forum Posts: 1779

RevolutionAL said:I whole heartedly agree with Philip Roth

What you read on the front page of my poetry pages won't ever be the same as when it originally landed. I edit and edit... Drop it...edit... Watch the critiques...edit and then go back to edit more later and again and again.

The thing for me, is that is how I grow. Where new ideas come from and where I am most in my comfort zone. Never dropped a perfect poem ever.

(That's just this little poetry hobby. The real stuff... Oh that is editted to death. Imagine handing in half ass copy and getting nailed with an error.)

Apparently not enough lol my poetry once it hits the press , that’s when the magic starts!
I start reading into it , seeing what would work better... for whatever reason I just don’t see it the same way when I’m writing as I do once I post it..

Daffodil32
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 28th Feb 2018
Forum Posts: 47

hello, i rarely edit although there are times when i have edited i.e  only slightly . but maybe i should try and edit or atleast look back on it after writing to see if there is anything i can change ... sometimes im happy with the way my poems are and i just leave them....i'm not sure if i should be editing more or leaving it as i originally wrote it , sometimes it feels good to share the original thoughts, i don't know

Ely
E.A.Rothwell
Dangerous Mind
Mexico 6awards
Joined 20th May 2018

Daffodil... a good edit will not change your original thought... but rather,  clarify... maybe encourage  a better flow...
You might discover hidden wonders in your own work... I encourage you to give it a go, and see where it leads you.

Honestly Crafted Critique bears watching... i broadened my knowledge considerably just observing Ahavani work through a piece... It was somewhat intimidating at first... but one can take from it what one wishes... Write On! Ely

poet Anonymous

Blackwolf said:"Mostly because what sounds right in your mind doesn't always sound right once typed"

one deserves no credit...just my opinion
...;)

are you even being serious? this is a joke. right?

*edited because...well, just because.

Go to page:
Go to: