Go to page:

How much do you edit your work before you post it?

KtothePOET
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 21st Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 4

I do nothing. The words I write are for reason. I edit nothing of my work, because then i have to ask myself, "Am I being honest?"

Or I start second guessing.

Pho3nix19xx
Thought Provoker
Canada 1awards
Joined 15th Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 66

Personally I don't edit my poems at all, instead I would rather write a few versions that are completely different then decide which best suites what I'm trying to convey. The only time I will edit a poem is when what I'm writing is going to be dedicated and gifted to someone or presented publicly (i.e. read at a galla/funeral)

My writings come from my emotions, how can I edit those?

placebo
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 4th Apr 2016
Forum Posts: 18

i usually spend around two days on a poem & then i keep it for a few in case there's something i want to change. after i find it finished/post it i might still go back and change things. writing straight from the heart with no editing can make a mess more often than not. i can always tell when someone wrote something in fifteen minutes.

SatansSperm
Dangerous Mind
13awards
Joined 19th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 3112

normally the only edit i do is for spelling...i write so fast i sometimes turn the letters around

Hepcat61
geoff cat
Dangerous Mind
United States 33awards
Joined 27th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 1028

Before I post,  after I post, months later...

On "the describe your poetry in three words" thread, I wrote:
shit's
never
finished

Gahddess_Worship
Osomajestuoso
Tyrant of Words
United States 37awards
Joined 21st Aug 2013
Forum Posts: 796

I enjoy the process and, therefore, I enjoy living a time with my work. Once I post it's no longer mine alone... kinda like a child leaving home.

LunaLove6963
Dangerous Mind
United States 3awards
Joined 14th Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 1347

I write most in 5-15 mins includes time to spell check. I would say that's all I edit. Mostly kept raw.

Phoenix_Risen
Thought Provoker
United States 5awards
Joined 21st Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 98

A couple of tweaks here and there occasionally but usually it's done before I post.

Magnetron
Fire of Insight
United States 6awards
Joined 20th July 2014
Forum Posts: 433

Lots.

And for those that don't think editing is necessary, it shows in your work.

Are your poems being read more than once because they are fascinating and enjoyable to readers, like a Netflix series that they can't help but binge watch to see what details they missed during the 1st pass?

Or are the readers giving up before the show is over because your choice of wording isn't as brilliant as you believed?

You will never know until your work is critiqued by competent poets.

KDAmB
Tyrant of Words
Australia 13awards
Joined 5th Sep 2014
Forum Posts: 6358

Magnetron said:Lots.

And for those that don't think editing is necessary, it shows in your work.

Are your poems being read more than once because they are fascinating and enjoyable to readers, like a Netflix series that they can't help but binge watch to see what details they missed during the 1st pass?

Or are the readers giving up before the show is over because your choice of wording isn't as brilliant as you believed?

You will never know until your work is critiqued by competent poets.

Well you got a point there Magnetron...I beg to differ for I know for sure that not every single member here is here for recognition or fame as such, many are here for therapeutic reasons- a reason which IS of paramount importance to me. I (representing only myself here) simply do not care about minor issues like spellings or punctuations when reading. Yes there are many many of us here to improve our skills, for those I more than welcome your point wholeheartedly.

Cheers!
KDAmB

poet Anonymous

I want honest critique on my pieces to improve my writing and further my knowledge of poetry and the writing process, therefore I edit my pieces to the best of my ability before I submit them.

It has been said to me on another poetry site that in order to expect critiques I must also offer them, so I am also attempting to do that to the best of my ability.  I have only done so however on pieces where honest critique is the chosen form of feedback and the pieces were ones I truly liked but had things I believed could be improved.  

While I have read many pieces where the chosen form of feedback is honest critique and could use improvement, the poet in question hasn't bothered to take the time to do even simple edits for spelling and the like. I don't understand why they would ask others to spend time and thought on work that they themselves were not willing to spend.

KDAmB
Tyrant of Words
Australia 13awards
Joined 5th Sep 2014

Sooth said:

I want honest critique on my pieces to improve my writing and further my knowledge of poetry and the writing process, therefore I edit my pieces to the best of my ability before I submit them.

It has been said to me on another poetry site that in order to expect critiques I must also offer them, so I am also attempting to do that to the best of my ability.  I have only done so however on pieces where honest critique is the chosen form of feedback and the pieces were ones I truly liked but had things I believed could be improved.  

While I have read many pieces where the chosen form of feedback is honest critique and could use improvement, the poet in question hasn't bothered to take the time to do even simple edits for spelling and the like. I don't understand why they would ask others to spend time and thought on work that they themselves were not willing to spend.

Please read my words again, both your points will be answered.

Cheers!

poet Anonymous

KDAmB said:

Please read my words again, both your points will be answered. It is stating the obvious.. for those who are submitting their works in a comp.. obviously they do need be presented well( it's a no brainer) and same goes for the aspiring poets/writers. Here I am stressing about therapeutic use, members who've been through so much that your spell-checks and punctuation marks don' mean nothing(and why should they) when all they want to do is get their emotional release.. there are many members who submit here, who chose not to accept comments?(ever thought why?) obviously getting recognition/whatever is not of importance to them. Just slow down and read my previous statement again.

Cheers!

I did, which is why I edited my reply. Apparently however, not before you'd read and quoted it.  I saw the change from them to us, which I had missed the first time, and therefore removed your quote and the questions that accompanied the the thought process for submitting unedited therapeutic pieces for feedback.

As to those who have chosen no feedback whatsoever, the reasons for that could be many and prove an interesting discussion but not one that is germane to editing as they are obviously not looking for editing suggestions.

As to those who are writing for therapeutic reasons, yes I can see wanting friendly feedback and emotional validation.

When asking for honest critique however, it is to my mind lazy and rude to not have at least first spent one's own time before asking other for theirs.

KDAmB
Tyrant of Words
Australia 13awards
Joined 5th Sep 2014

Sooth said:

I did, which is why I edited my reply. Apparently however, not before you'd read and quoted it.  I saw the change from them to us, which I had missed the first time, and therefore removed your quote and the questions that accompanied the the thought process for submitting unedited therapeutic pieces for feedback.

As to those who have chosen no feedback whatsoever, the reasons for that could be many and prove an interesting discussion but not one that is germane to editing as they are obviously not looking for editing suggestions.

As to those who are writing for therapeutic reasons, yes I can see wanting friendly feedback and emotional validation.

When asking for honest critique however, it is to my mind lazy and rude to not have at least first spent one's own time before asking other for theirs.

I have edited my reply as well as quotation of your statement. You are not wrong at all and I can absolutely see the reasons why.  I keep it at the front of my mind the sensitive nature of our peers here, some are ( even though it's a totally anonymous site and all that) are  scared even to publish their works, despite being members for years, only they know their reasons. I too do oblige to a member's request for honest critique, but only when am confident enough that the author is engaging in skill improvement etc, otherwise you can always pm them with your honest critique. The point being some post their works as an emotional release and that's their reason, and we have to keep in mind they pen down powerful emotions, some too tough to contemplate for us, so for them if you look at the alphabets and punctuation marks, then we are missing the point.

ThornWithin
Thought Provoker
Joined 27th Feb 2016
Forum Posts: 522

As for my take ... poetry should be enjoyed .. correct if you will .. be clear as you will .. convey as you will .. be grammatically correct if you will .. interpret it as you will ...

I wanna learn the iambic pentameter ... I wanna alliterate as much as I can .. use metaphor or simile as I can ..  or free verse myself ...

But thing is not everyone of us is perfect ... For one english language is not our first language (at least for me) ... we need to be corrected even if not all the time understood about our works..  It's not an excuse on my part .. but I love to convey and share .. I will always be grateful for scholarly corrections regarding punctuations .. grammar and stuff  ..poems for me may be an outlet .. or downright disaster in the scrutinizing eyes of the learned .. but I just wanna express .. and will always be grateful for corrections and criticisms.

Good day from the Philippines !

Go to page:
Go to: