Go to page:

How much do you edit your work before you post it?

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

Gosh, I would have to say,
Get the thought of writing something in your mind, think about who you are writing to, how you want them to feel, then some day soon, you will get a dead end feeling, and nothing decent comes out.
Then one fine day or night you set out writing, an by gosh it works, and while you are writing, you are thinking, thinking and writing, writing and thinking, and that is it.

WeesusMadimas
n1lkcj
Lost Thinker
Joined 28th May 2021
Forum Posts: 3

Oh gosh. Most of them are evolving for weeks or months at a time until im truly happy with them but, once in a blue moon I'll be in that perfect element where I manage to write exactly what I mean to say on the very first try. Like my brain's being hijacked by my emotions.

Breedlove
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 25th Apr 2021
Forum Posts: 36

I rarely edit! I basically just let it flow... Just the type of writing style that suits me. I wish I could motivate myself to edit/revise more. Maybe change my writing style all together.

senid
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 8th May 2021
Forum Posts: 3

I want to edit more. My first drafts tend to be pretty rough, sometimes just words all over the place. I write by hand in a 3 ring binder for my first draft. Sometimes I edit it there on future days, often I pick one and post it online. That's often the only editing I do. I always say I want to be a better poet, and currently I think that means the editing for me. Very interested in how others do things.

inechoingsilence
Thought Provoker
United States 4awards
Joined 17th Apr 2019
Forum Posts: 317

I tend to write in a googledoc, then cut and paste. I edit a little, but it's more for capitalization, spelling - things like that. Things sit inside me for a while and when they come out, the word vomit is very apropos. Once it's here, I leave it be for months, and THEN I might edit further. I think my poetry is as good as it can be right now, as my focus is seriously divided into many different principals at the moment.

ManuelPessanha
Manuel Pessanha
Strange Creature
Joined 21st July 2021
Forum Posts: 2

Abracadabra
Tyrant of Words
Kiribati 21awards
Joined 13th Nov 2009
Forum Posts: 2629

I believe no poem is ever finished only abandoned by its owner.
Editing and re-editing older work can be useful when I'm stuck for a write, as it quickly gets me in the poetic mindset.
Some poems are like wine, emotions need time to breathe before I can revisit and savor their full potential.
Guess that makes me a serial tweaker.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Wafflenose
Ellie
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 19awards
Joined 1st Aug 2021
Forum Posts: 1191

I edit heavily, and won't share anything until I think it's as good as I can make it without help.  That's where you lot come in.

TRFLD
Strange Creature
Joined 31st Aug 2021
Forum Posts: 2

I edit so much and may edit long after I posted something or have it draft-written, so if I post something, in a title, I mark that it's not excluded for it to be edited, expanded/shortened. I may spend hours in dictionaries and thesauruses. Of the several works I have, there's only one social-network-posted and it still gets edited.

Wired6
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 2awards
Joined 7th Nov 2021
Forum Posts: 28

Wow! Stupidly,I thought my 'none editing' was unique 2 little old me!

javalini
Fire of Insight
United States 15awards
Joined 4th Apr 2019
Forum Posts: 201

I would never stop editing unless I just made myself stop.
A piece evolves as one edits. It's part of the journey. Editing is just part of writing.
The hardest thing is to take a "great" line out.
Sometimes it's exactly what you need to do.

Eerie
Dangerous Mind
14awards
Joined 29th July 2018
Forum Posts: 890

javalini said:
The hardest thing is to take a "great" line out.
Sometimes it's exactly what you need to do.

Oh man did this connect. I have angerly stepped around certain lines for weeks because I thought they were just too good to be removed. ALWAYS once I get over it and take it out the piece starts to come together, and I can finally move it along.

PoetSpeak
Tyrant of Words
United States 54awards
Joined 17th Nov 2013
Forum Posts: 166

Poems take 5 minutes or less to write
Most write themselves once I have the first line
Check for spelling

Hit submit

robert43041
Viking
Tyrant of Words
Canada 43awards
Joined 30th July 2020
Forum Posts: 918

I write and rewrite, then check for spelling.

Go to page:
Go to: