Go to page:

How much do you edit your work before you post it?

AnestassiaErd
Strange Creature
Joined 3rd Nov 2019
Forum Posts: 2

I usually write from the heart first, then I will edit it about 3 times to check grammar/ flow/ wording.

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2282

I think, for me, because i have OCD, i edit the hell out of my ink
before i post it
after i post it
and after the after and HOPE NO ONE SAW THE TYPE OR GRAMMAR ERROR .

I have been working on a book i want to publish and have been editing that effin thing
for going on 7 years!  LOL

nikkimoe
Tyrant of Words
United States 12awards
Joined 31st May 2012
Forum Posts: 282

I don't edit anything. I wrote it on the spot if I notice a spelling mistake thats the only editing I do.

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 868

if a person's writing something purely as an outlet, for their own eyes, i'm not sure why they'd choose to post it publicly.
when they post something out there for others to read, isn't it good manners to try and present it in its best aspect? if i want others to read my writing, crit or comment on it, why should i expect them to spend their own precious time on it if i can't be bothered to look for simple issues like typos?

most my poems spill out pretty fast, minutes... but i'll edit and re-edit as i read it through on word/notepad.  when i'm relatively happy with it, i'll post--but generally looking for critique with an eye to making improvements. if i'm happy with it as it stands, i may not look for crit but, at the same time, keep an open mind to changes in the future. too often i've had material published in print only to look back on it, years later, to realise its weaknesses.

hell, i've gone back and read stuff i wrote decades ago and might spot a way to improve it, so it'll get an edit.

as for here, and other websites, i may have edited till i think it's 'right', hit 'submit' only to notice a glaring typo or mistake where i was swapping stuff in it about. and then i go RIGHT back in and edit it to make it right!

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
runaway-mindtrain
Dangerous Mind
United States 8awards
Joined 30th July 2017
Forum Posts: 758

Shit fire, I even edited this comment...

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 3572

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

I do finish a work of art...then move on ;

And I never abandon what I have accomplished , project or not...

We have different perspectives on this one , my friend !

runaway-mindtrain
Dangerous Mind
United States 8awards
Joined 30th July 2017

Sky is referring to quite a few movie and music artists that have stated that at some point they simply have to stop working on the project and publish it to the masses...rarely thinking it is 100% perfect

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018

runaway-mindtrain said:Sky is referring to quite a few movie and music artists that have stated that at some point they simply have to stop working on the project and publish it to the masses...rarely thinking it is 100% perfect

Understood...

But then I would not call them artists , but pretenders and hacks...

Just my feelings

runaway-mindtrain
Dangerous Mind
United States 8awards
Joined 30th July 2017

"pretenders and hacks", Yep, sounds like hollywood to me...

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018

runaway-mindtrain said:"pretenders and hacks", Yep, sounds like hollywood to me...

Pretty accurate , and I live down that way now...

Yet near the beach !

( I am not crazy...just different )

runaway-mindtrain
Dangerous Mind
United States 8awards
Joined 30th July 2017

It didn't seem to be overrun with fools when I was young...something happened but I wasn't involved only noticed their output was different. It is ok to be crazy. I am a complete nut, usually...as Waylon said, "I've always been crazy but it kept me from going insane"

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018
Forum Posts: 1216

Most writing teachers say that one should never stop editing.
There was a time when I felt insecure and unsure and I used to edit constantly and realized that the more I did the worse it got as one friend would fondly tease me 'stop editing, you're going to turn it into haiku'.  
But now I'm at a place where I know how to deliver and I don't edit, I write and publish.  On rare occassion as I glance over after publishing I might take out a word or two, but that doesn't happen all that often anymore.

souladareatease
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 28th Dec 2012
Forum Posts: 5085

Editing kills me...I could keep going.
Trimming gets me in trouble...I'll take it down to one word lol
So I intentionally cut myself off at some point, sneer at it and sneer more once posted or presented.
Once it IS posted, I'll never touch it again, despite the sneer and should've, could've.

I rarely like what I Write, I like the idea, like a line maybe....the rest tends to be hairy eye.

Editing...never ending until the sigh.

*****and here I'll throw in this edit/add...
I spend very little time on editing, simply because I know I won't stop, once Written I glance through and edit for say 5-10 mins on an average Write....then walk away (or sneer) -probably both.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Fucktons.

It never ends.

Go to page:
Go to: