Go to page:

Please VOTE! A request from the Moderators

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

As there is a bit of a gap between now and the deadline of the next active competition, I'm asking - even pleading - on behalf of the moderators and those members who are still active writers ...

Please take a moment to read through those competitions listed as OPEN TO VOTING.  These are writing competitions abandoned by their hosts but need to be cleared from the DUP system.  

If you can read just two of the current five ... Great! All five? YOURE F&$#N AWESOME!!!  

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14458

what's in it for me, good fellow ? Is there a monetary award on offer ? a Christmas hamper ? ....a magic tree for my dead car ? ..if I vote in 20 do I get an honorary judge's trophy ?

poet Anonymous

I've been voting in these. I'll take fkn awesome

poet Anonymous

As a suggestion - would it be possible to make how many votes are still needed to bring the competition to conclusion visible to us mere mortals... it might make us more likely to vote if we can see how many are left to go. Just a thought.

admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards

Miss_Sub said:As a suggestion - would it be possible to make how many votes are still needed to bring the competition to conclusion visible to us mere mortals... it might make us more likely to vote if we can see how many are left to go. Just a thought.
It's not quite a simple as that. In order for voting to close there needs to be an outright winner, and that depends on how the votes are spread and who someone is going to vote for. For example, a competition may have met the minimum vote requirement, but if four entries have three votes each and someone votes for a different entry, which is not one of those four front runners, then voting won't end.

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013

admin said:
It's not quite a simple as that. In order for voting to close there needs to be an outright winner, and that depends on how the votes are spread and who someone is going to vote for. For example, a competition may have met the minimum vote requirement, but if four entries have three votes each and someone votes for a different entry, which is not one of those four front runners, then voting won't end.

Thanks for your prompt reply on this WebMistress ... Ignore my PM with same question.

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013

lepperochan said:what's in it for me, good fellow ? Is there a monetary award on offer ? a Christmas hamper ? ....a magic tree for my dead car ? ..if I vote in 20 do I get an honorary judge's trophy ?

I'll go out and get st faced drunk in your honor, then write the worse piece of poetry known to man ... No wait I tend to do that anyway ...

Will "thank you" do?

poet Anonymous

Ok - then my next question would be would it be better to only have maybe two contests up for voting rather than 5/6? People are surely more likely to be bothered with 1/2 rather than putting in their own time wading through multiple threads. It is a lot of work to read an entire thread properly and make a good judgement call, I can appreciate that.

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013

To that end I would say pick the ones that interest you as a reader.  If the topic appeals to you ... Or the variety of interpretation on the theme - go for it.  I think five at a time just gives folks options to choose what they want to read or not

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5601

I think that once the list gets cleared of abandoned comps, it will be easier to manage new ones that get abandoned and hopefully we'll see less of that all together. Right now there's about 44 left waiting after our current 5 in vote status, and since we started out with some crazy amount well near 200, I guess we're doing fairly well. I've sent messages to those who are still members and most have been good about closing them up themselves.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5601

Cool!  Looks like 4 comps just got voted winners since this thread started--thanks Lobo!  I put up 4 more comps to vote on, and pulled the shortest ones I could find, with the least amount of entries, to maybe move some more along by not having tons of pages to read through.  

Thanks to all who voted!

Zazzles
Broomie
Tyrant of Words
United States 24awards
Joined 23rd Nov 2013
Forum Posts: 1781

I just voted on all  of em ":)

johnrot
Tyrant of Words
21awards
Joined 10th Oct 2012
Forum Posts: 3645

you can't do anything with people who don't really live it. if you ain't ready to be a corner boy first you ain't about that life. some people make their home here,some people are jus tourists.

Zazzles
Broomie
Tyrant of Words
United States 24awards
Joined 23rd Nov 2013
Forum Posts: 1781

johnrot said:you can't do anything with people who don't really live it. if you ain't ready to be a corner boy first you ain't about that life. some people make their home here,some people are jus tourists. <<< so true Jr.

poet Anonymous

LobodeSanPedro said:To that end I would say pick the ones that interest you as a reader.  If the topic appeals to you ... Or the variety of interpretation on the theme - go for it.  I think five at a time just gives folks options to choose what they want to read or not

Fair enough... and now I've exhausted my constructive thoughts about this, so I'm out.

Go to page:
Go to: