Go to page:

The "Critique Me" Thread

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5598

Ok,  This thread is being created because obviously there are, and have been, many threads created asking for critique, help, advice seeking and general come-look-at-my-work, pleas.

So, here's how this will work:  If you fall into any of these categories, newbies, as well as established members, and you'd like to be critiqued on a certain piece, need help, advice or just want to gain some minion as followers of your work, post it here with a brief request of what you are looking for.

BUT....  first post your work in your "MY POEMS" section, then put only a link to it here with your request, to give a heads up to point people to your work.  Those interested, can click the link and comment as they see fit on the actual piece, thereby eliminating the need for thousands of individual threads to be created, as well as eliminating the need for this thread to get derailed with unnecessary conversation.

So there you have it--post your links, post what you're looking for, and keep the discussions on the actual piece of writing.

Let's see how well this works out....

johnrot
Tyrant of Words
21awards
Joined 10th Oct 2012
Forum Posts: 3645

if it's not too much trouble doc,

can we have this song play whenever the thread is opened mam?

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=bizarre+im+so+cool&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=18342930A499C210E73618342930A499C210E736

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013

Knock yourself out, JR--you can be our official emcee and jump in with your song, each time someone posts a link here, while I simultaneously lock any future individual threads, seeking what this general thread is for.  

High-five me, dude! :D

jvp
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 21st June 2014
Forum Posts: 91

I'm confused on this.  The subtitle for this section is "Poetry Workshop
Request help, advice or critique for your poetry."  But it seems that you don't want people to start threads that ask for advice or critique of their poems.  Maybe the title needs to be adjusted...  Or, I'm just confused....

hemihead
hemi
Dangerous Mind
New Zealand 13awards
Joined 1st Nov 2010
Forum Posts: 1749

Workshopping is like this....

Hey motherfuckers, I've wrote this world-shaker of a piece, but I can't get the ending to pop in a way that would make a nun shit her knickers, and given that I intend solving world hunger with it, can you take a look;

me and my bitches was cracking some smoke, son
then along came a copper motherfucker and said
"did you bring enough for everyone"
I said "yeah yeah boy" and handed him my crack pipe
he gave me his badge and said
"solve the whole world
if you really really think you might"

I think the first two lines speak volumes about the neo-classical response of blind children to technology, but I feel that the second half of the first and last verse don't fully commit to my intense love of dog-shit. Can anyone help?

A person not using the workshop feature correctly might say;

hey wot's up I'm fucking good at writing and I want you to bow down and suck my pen-scribe writer dick by telling me that spelling and punctuation are for fags and you think I'm the new james dean of writing cos all my mates call me Shakespeare so I guess your opinion only matters to me if you agree yeah yeah fuck you sorry I'm too genius to read the rules or get to know anyone but you can come to my booksigning if you want.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

That will keep everything neat and tidy ML.  Can it be pinned to stop it falling down the list?  Best plan yet, are we taking odds on it being adhered to? Great stuff.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012

jvp said:I'm confused on this.  The subtitle for this section is "Poetry Workshop
Request help, advice or critique for your poetry."  But it seems that you don't want people to start threads that ask for advice or critique of their poems.  Maybe the title needs to be adjusted...  Or, I'm just confused....

You're just confused.

This thread is allowing exactly those things rather than some random person thinking "okay I have 500 poems I want critiqued, lets start a new thread for each one"

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013

Yes, just as Magdalena said, JVP--a central dumping ground for all the wants for help, critique, have a looks, etc., rather than cluttering up the forums with a thread for every single one.  I'll send the webmiss a request to pin this thread, but until it can be done, we'll have to keep bumping it.

Magnetron
Fire of Insight
United States 6awards
Joined 20th July 2014
Forum Posts: 433

Stop being so sensible and efficient.

AscensionES
Aptilneilrionaltion
Dangerous Mind
Australia 9awards
Joined 22nd Jan 2013
Forum Posts: 1797

Magnetron said:Stop being so sensible and efficient.

Exactly.. it's so painful to read. Makes me cringe.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012

Better to keep litter in its place than scattered over the ground.

poet Anonymous

I'm sure there was an old thread once , where a person could link one poem to be critiqued and in return that author would have to leave comment on the poem of the next link to be placed...

I think Opheliac was the last to post on that thread. Now I haven't seen it since April of this year. Maybe she can offer a link?

ManorMyth
Man_Or_Myth
Twisted Dreamer
United States 2awards
Joined 14th Apr 2014
Forum Posts: 44

great concept for a way to critique others

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013

As soon as I can get this thread pinned, everyone is welcome to use it, from newbies to established members.  As nauseating as some may find it, I feel that it's at least a form of controlled chaos--banning someone for creating a "check me out and critique me" thread isn't really the way to go, as it sends a negative message that they aren't welcome here, and we aren't receptive to new members, those in need of assistance, and what have you.  At least if we put it all in one place, people can choose to visit the links that others post, and people can choose not to come in here at all.  Regardless, if members insist on starting threads aside from this one, we'll just make them disappear, and direct them to here.  All nice and tidy!

Go to page:
Go to: