Go to page:

Your Reading List.....opinions?

poet Anonymous

Grace said:I have 17 on my list, thats what it says. So if thats what you are talking about Poetik...well its not five or six. Anyway, my reading list is like my books, I keep them as reading materials. I will read them whenever I want, without having to look it up on the authors page again. I don't pick them to kiss ass, either. I am very grateful and happy that I get read, though, don't get me wrong. On the flip side, I like engaging in competitions, because the titles are usually inspiring. The competitions that I have carried out so far has dug out talents that have the wow factor, with a little brushing, in my humble opinion...I went off topic, sorry, but yes the reading list is commendable; its like a folder of materials you want to read again.

Grace, what I actually meant about "5 or 6" is the number of poems [its actually 5]that show on a poets profile page at a cursory glance. If I want to see what types of poetry you are impressed with I have to open your list to see the other 12 that are hidden, you see?
Which is fine. Those most recently listed 5 poems will be featured on your profile and may to some extent promote the writers each time your page is visited. Whereas the hidden 12 of your 17 would only be seen by someone (in Craic's words) rooting around lol meaning at a cursory glance the writers of those 12 extraordinary (in your mind) poems will not be seen by the majority of people just browsing your page

PsychicApocalypse
Darker Half
Dangerous Mind
Belize 30awards
Joined 5th Dec 2012
Forum Posts: 1483

When it comes to my reading list, I'm really picky.
If the poem amazes me, or touches a personal spot, it ends up in my reading list.
Usually when that happens, I go through the Poet's poems and read some more.
If I find more than 5 that amazes me, then I just follow the poet.

Some times, depending on the category the poet I like writes, then I look through their reading list to search some more gory tales, which are my utmost faves.

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 16070

nopoetiknow said:[quote-246958-Grace]I have 17 on my list, thats what it says. So if thats what you are talking about Poetik...well its not five or six. Anyway, my reading list is like my books, I keep them as reading materials. I will read them whenever I want, without having to look it up on the authors page again. I don't pick them to kiss ass, either. I am very grateful and happy that I get read, though, don't get me wrong. On the flip side, I like engaging in competitions, because the titles are usually inspiring. The competitions that I have carried out so far has dug out talents that have the wow factor, with a little brushing, in my humble opinion...I went off topic, sorry, but yes the reading list is commendable; its like a folder of materials you want to read again.

Grace, what I actually meant about "5 or 6" is the number of poems [its actually 5]that show on a poets profile page at a cursory glance. If I want to see what types of poetry you are impressed with I have to open your list to see the other 12 that are hidden, you see?
Which is fine. Those most recently listed 5 poems will be featured on your profile and may to some extent promote the writers each time your page is visited. Whereas the hidden 12 of your 17 would only be seen by someone (in Craic's words) rooting around lol meaning at a cursory glance the writers of those 12 extraordinary (in your mind) poems will not be seen by the majority of people just browsing your page [/quote]

I see, so thats what you meant. Interesting thought there, I wasn't thinking that when you pick a read to keep, you are actually promoting that writer too. Thats a thought. I hope someone root around my reading list then.

Ghoulie
Just G
Fire of Insight
10awards
Joined 20th Oct 2012
Forum Posts: 920

I use it as a bookmark. I add poems to my reading list that I would like to reference quickly again; either it has moved me in some way and/or the style and subject intrigued me.

poet Anonymous

Grace said:[quote-247086-nopoetiknow][quote-246958-Grace]I have 17 on my list, thats what it says. So if thats what you are talking about Poetik...well its not five or six. Anyway, my reading list is like my books, I keep them as reading materials. I will read them whenever I want, without having to look it up on the authors page again. I don't pick them to kiss ass, either. I am very grateful and happy that I get read, though, don't get me wrong. On the flip side, I like engaging in competitions, because the titles are usually inspiring. The competitions that I have carried out so far has dug out talents that have the wow factor, with a little brushing, in my humble opinion...I went off topic, sorry, but yes the reading list is commendable; its like a folder of materials you want to read again.

Which is fine. Those most recently listed 5 poems will be featured on your profile and may to some extent promote the writers each time your page is visited. Whereas the hidden 12 of your 17 would only be seen by someone (in Craic's words) rooting around lol meaning at a cursory glance the writers of those 12 extraordinary (in your mind) poems will not be seen by the majority of people just browsing your page [/quote]

I see, so thats what you meant. Interesting thought there, I wasn't thinking that when you pick a read to keep, you are actually promoting that writer too. Thats a thought. I hope someone root around my reading list then.
[/quote]

I have..:)

Gemini
Geminitalian
Fire of Insight
United States 9awards
Joined 28th Oct 2012
Forum Posts: 1378

I'm pretty picky about what goes on my reading list. I have 21 poems on there at this moment and I am allowed 109 (I don't know how the allowance system works.) I just looked through it and I think it's time to delete some actually. Mine is generally a combination of poems written about me (yes, I have a bit of an ego), poems I can relate to (usually drug topics) and poems that I really like (I lost a lot when Hemi and a few others left during the mass exodus of 2013.) I use the list for two things. 1. To re-read what I like and 2. To promote my favorite poems/poets.

I think another cool thing would be if we had the option to write a brief synopsis of why we added a poem to our reading list and somehow attach that to the poem on the list. Maybe have an icon next to the poem on the list that could be clicked on to be read. Another way to promote our favorites. JMHO, of course.

I'd also like to see an option where we can rank them so our top 5 would show rather than the most recent adds. EDIT: Never mind. I just did an experiment with a poem by my buddy, Panama Judas, in which I deleted it from my list and re-added it. It's now at the top of my list.

LivePassion
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 23rd Nov 2013
Forum Posts: 4

My reading list is for poems I want to read again. Those poems have either touched me emotionally or have inspired me and sometimes a bit of both.

Angel_Of_Darkness
Rune L
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 22nd Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 608

I personally usethe reading list for two reasons:
-To publicly comend the author
-As a momento
I very rarely read a poem twice, for the reason that there is always so much new poetry out there; if you stop for thirty minutes to smell the lilacs here, you'll never get to smell the roses at the other end of the garden. So if I do read a poem twice, I am especially determined to tell the author. However, it takes a LOT of skill and thought to reach my reading list.

Additionally, commending someone over improvement is one thing, but publicizing improvement can make the amateur author feel embarassed. So in my humble opinion, you should give them a pat on the back in private unless it truly warrants something greater. You can make them feel good about themselves without putting on a show.

DystopianMelody
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 9th Dec 2012
Forum Posts: 1391

My reading list quite eclectic. I think it's purely based on what a particular poem makes me feel. If it pulls on my emotions then more than likely it's going in my reading list.

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

Basically if I feel it's a poem I wish I could have written - (if I could write) then I add it.  I have pieces by writers long since gone since I joined, and a few pieces I've found by members who stopped writing on DUP before I got here.  Some great stuff.

Maybe I'm biased towards this place, but I've long felt an anthology of selected works off DUP could easily be culled and showcased as what potery, good poetry, is today.  

DystopianMelody
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 9th Dec 2012
Forum Posts: 1391

LobodeSanPedro said:Basically if I feel it's a poem I wish I could have written - (if I could write) then I add it.  I have pieces by writers long since gone since I joined, and a few pieces I've found by members by stopped writing before I got here.  Some great stuff.

Maybe I'm biased towards this place, but I've long felt an anthology of selected works off DUP could easily be culled and showcased as what potery, good poetry, is today.  

Now there's a brilliant thread idea if I've ever seen one.... DUP- the cream of the crop.

poet Anonymous

LobodeSanPedro said:Basically if I feel it's a poem I wish I could have written - (if I could write) then I add it.  

Yeah, I think this is pretty much where I stand on reading lists. My reading list has about 100 entries, but having been a member for four years, that equates to about 25 entries a year, which I think is a good average for the amount of reading I do here. I'm a big fan of the 'random poem' function and have loved those days when I've clicked the button and found something that's totally blown me away.  I've certainly wanted to remember them to refer to them later, so in that respect, the reading list is functional as well as a great display of personal taste.

poet Anonymous

Got 2 on my reading list. Don’t think I’ll have enough time to read both again. Not sure how others feel with their thousands.

I don’t read much here.
If a good title catches my attention, I may read it whole, or get half way and just move onto something else.

cabcool
Guardian of Shadows
Jamaica 12awards
Joined 27th Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 740

This is an interesting forum.  I believe reading lists should be functional:  a poet should not merely hoard or be hoarded.

(1) I have added excellent work from seasoned writers. Usually, if I stop to comment on such works, I might add them to my reading list but I do not, as a rule, add works to my list without making comments to the author.

On the other hand, I have, at times, felt uncomfortable to find one or more particular individuals religiously "capturing" my every work (almost) to their reading list without stopping to give me any feedback. I've thought to myself that perhaps they are collecting my work for their own publication.

(2)  I have mentored new poets, whose works I have sometimes added.   My R/L endorsement may be to acknowledge progress or encourage effort.  When my mentees add several pieces of my work, I do not consider it hoarding; they are simply looking for examples they can learn from.

(3)  I have added works based on themes similar to mine (even the same titles at times).  The similarities or contrasts in interpretation often amaze me and when I add such works it's because I want to read them side-by-side with mine to make comparison or see the extended vision.

To conclude: although it appears complementary to add someone's work to one's R/L, it may be somewhat discourteous to grab and hug the poem without considering the author.  When a person has habitually commented on my work, it does not really matter, however, that they add a poem or two to their collection when they cannot find the time to comment.  I take this as understood, because I know they are already among my encouragers.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14271

cabcool said:[. . . ]

On the other hand, I have, at times, felt uncomfortable to find one or more particular individuals religiously "capturing" my every work (almost) to their reading list without stopping to give me any feedback. I've thought to myself that perhaps they are collecting my work for their own publication.
[ . . . ]
To conclude: although it appears complementary to add someone's work to one's R/L, it may be somewhat discourteous to grab and hug the poem without considering the author.  When a person has habitually commented on my work, it does not really matter, however, that they add a poem or two to their collection when they cannot find the time to comment.  I take this as understood, because I know they are already among my encouragers.

Let me shed some light from a different perspective, Cabcool.  There are certain authors here that I have a spiritual connection with, i.e. - Uma, nomoth, yourself, Rob, and a few more. More often than not I RL their work as an indication that I connected with it. But if you've ever read some of these writers, then you'd know that sometimes their writing is so spiritual it affords no words; or, rather, perhaps words would lesson the meaning of the feeling, or connection with the poem.

I hope that made sense. That's how I feel when the aforementioned RL my work without commenting, anyway. Also, some are not eloquent at commenting. I had a message last week from someone saying they wished they could comment as gracefully as I seem to. I told them just to express what was in their own heart and not worry about what anyone else would think.

But, I do agree with you in regards to the continual RL's without any comments. While an RL is an honor, periodic comments should be offered, if nothing but to say how it made one feel.

Go to page:
Go to: