Go to page:

How can I format a poem in hourglass shape?

EngrVV
D_Poetic Engineer
Dangerous Mind
United States 40awards
Joined 11th Sep 2012
Forum Posts: 2483

I just completed a poem currently in draft form, "Infinite Loop" and it's formatted in the shape of an hourglass. It's the only way I can give it poetic justice. I really appreciate it if somebody could help me out coz' I'm not good at writing codes. Thanks...

poet Anonymous

I think you should
be able to
format it
as centre
justified,
then it should
be a bit nearer the
shape you require it to be.

** I just looked at the Submit Poem page and there's no justification options, so you might want to write

[*center]
POEM BODY GOES HERE.
[*/center]

(without the *'s)

EngrVV
D_Poetic Engineer
Dangerous Mind
United States 40awards
Joined 11th Sep 2012

Cthonian said:
I think you should
be able to
format it
as centre
justified,
then it should
be a bit nearer the
shape you require it to be.

** I just looked at the Submit Poem page and there's no justification options, so you might want to write

[*center]
POEM BODY GOES HERE.
[*/center]

(without the *'s)

Thank you bro...I tried it but it didn't work for me for whatever reason I don't know. I also tried this code, but it didn't work either:

<div style="text-align: center;">
</div>
Sample Body of Text...
<div>

</div>

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

I have been messing around with a Palindromic poem I wrote a while back called "Hour Glass"  I have tried every way to post it on my profile poems in the shape of an hour glass, no joy thus far.

braggman
Steve Bragg
Dangerous Mind
United States 14awards
Joined 27th Dec 2011
Forum Posts: 1850

If you are trying to center it here on DUP you can manually code it as the word center enclosed in square brackets, and then the closing tag is the same with a forward slash prceding the word center. I'd type it here for you but it would just center everything I type and the code would be invisible. Or go into the advanced edit view, highlight the whole poem and hit the center button.

EngrVV
D_Poetic Engineer
Dangerous Mind
United States 40awards
Joined 11th Sep 2012

Magdalena said:I have been messing around with a Palindromic poem I wrote a while back called "Hour Glass"  I have tried every way to post it on my profile poems in the shape of an hour glass, no joy thus far.

I would love to read your poem, Magdalena...I guess we have the same dilemma.

EngrVV
D_Poetic Engineer
Dangerous Mind
United States 40awards
Joined 11th Sep 2012

braggman said:If you are trying to center it here on DUP you can manually code it as the word center enclosed in square brackets, and then the closing tag is the same with a forward slash prceding the word center. I'd type it here for you but it would just center everything I type and the code would be invisible. Or go into the advanced edit view, highlight the whole poem and hit the center button.

Thanks for your input, Steve...tried that already as in:

sample body of text
more text
and more text

It worked here but not in the poem section...I can't find the advanced edit view either. Once again, thanks braggman!

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

I've an idea,its probably been done already.

I'd like a gif, an hourglass, nice enough one, with all the words to a poem about time jumbled up in the top half of the hour glass,
then I'd like the words to fall down in the order that the poem was written.

Is that at all possible?    

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012

lepperochan said: I've an idea,its probably been done already.

I'd like a gif, an hourglass, nice enough one, with all the words to a poem about time jumbled up in the top half of the hour glass,
then I'd like the words to fall down in the order that the poem was written.

Is that at all possible?    

It is possible, just type your text onto the image and post the image, GyspyRed is the expert on "how to" with such a thing.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

ah yes , Gypsy would be the one to ask. thanks Magdelena .

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012

braggman said:If you are trying to center it here on DUP you can manually code it as the word center enclosed in square brackets, and then the closing tag is the same with a forward slash prceding the word center. I'd type it here for you but it would just center everything I type and the code would be invisible. Or go into the advanced edit view, highlight the whole poem and hit the center button.

I tried that Steve, no joy, couldn't find "advanced edit view"

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012

lepperochan said:ah yes , Gypsy would be the one to ask. thanks Magdelena .

My pleasure. I used to do it years ago with my poetry but to long ago to remember how. I like your idea though, wish I had thought of it.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012

EngrVV said:[quote-136478-Magdalena]I have been messing around with a Palindromic poem I wrote a while back called "Hour Glass"  I have tried every way to post it on my profile poems in the shape of an hour glass, no joy thus far.

I would love to read your poem, Magdalena...I guess we have the same dilemma.[/quote]

Indeed we do

braggman
Steve Bragg
Dangerous Mind
United States 14awards
Joined 27th Dec 2011

EngrVV said:[quote-136503-braggman]If you are trying to center it here on DUP you can manually code it as the word center enclosed in square brackets, and then the closing tag is the same with a forward slash prceding the word center. I'd type it here for you but it would just center everything I type and the code would be invisible. Or go into the advanced edit view, highlight the whole poem and hit the center button.

Thanks for your input, Steve...tried that already as in:

sample body of text
more text
and more text

It worked here but not in the poem section...I can't find the advanced edit view either. Once again, thanks braggman![/quote]

OK I had used it in the forums, but not the poems. Upon examination, no code, not even hyperlinks work there. You will just have to pick helvetica for your font, since it is a fixed-width font and manually space the beginning of each line with empty characters until you beat it into correct shape.

braggman
Steve Bragg
Dangerous Mind
United States 14awards
Joined 27th Dec 2011

--------Or if blank characters-------
-----------do not work-----------------
---------------you------------------------
-----------can always------------------
------try this type of thing------------

Go to page: