Songbird83
Steven W.
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 30th Dec 2022
Forum Posts: 15

Things I need to know:
How many poems/lyrics should I include
Cover design ( preferably free or should I upload my own)
Purchase available options to readers

My goal is to have something out by mid late summer, just need to put it all together.

Any tips/help is appreciated.

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 31awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021
Forum Posts: 5601

Hey 👋 How’s it going?
Are you planning to self publish or to send your work to a publisher?

schizostalker
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 8th Dec 2022
Forum Posts: 5

Self publishing is the way to go

Songbird83
Steven W.
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 30th Dec 2022

Yeah, self publish.

Songbird83
Steven W.
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 30th Dec 2022

Northern_Soul said:Hey 👋 How’s it going?
Are you planning to self publish or to send your work to a publisher?

Self publish.

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 31awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

Ok. Well, I’m no expert, but here’s what I learned from self-publishing on a personal level. All opinions are my own and you of course, don’t have to listen to any of it:

- How many poems should I include: As many as you want to put in there. However bear in mind that a carefully curated collection with a smaller amount of poems in will probably capture a reader more than if you write war and peace filled with oddments. Also bear in mind that the thicker the book, the more your printing costs will be, the more you have to charge for the book to break even.

Cover design - Again. This is your art. I would highly recommend not using a generic royalty free image for your cover. Why? Because you spent all that time writing it, it deserves to have its own flare attached to it.

Of course there’s the option to pay an artist to help you with a cover design. But other sources of cover inspiration could be using your own photographs or asking friends and family if any of them are arty to make one for you.

Remember, this is your art. The cover is part of what you want to say.

Purchase available options to the reader - the most popular choice for self publishing is paper back, and this is generally the most cost effective in terms of printing. Perhaps also consider a kindle version so that you are accessible at all price points.

Other things I’ve learned - Amazon screws you over in terms of profits! Seriously! If I sell a book through the self publishing platform I get around 60% of the book cost. If I sell through Amazon… I get approximately 12p. This is apparently why Jeff Bezos can fly to space and is laughing at us meer mortals.

Just consider that although it’s great having a book on Amazon / Barnes & Noble etc to get it out there etc, it won’t necessarily make much money there.

Lastly- A good friend of mine said to me when I was wondering whether to publish or not “publish because you have something to say, and because you have the right to say it”. And that’s the best advice I can give. Publish for you - not anybody else. Your art will thank you for it.

Best of luck, m’dear. 🙂

Songbird83
Steven W.
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 30th Dec 2022

Northern_Soul said:Ok. Well, I’m no expert, but here’s what I learned from self-publishing on a personal level. All opinions are my own and you of course, don’t have to listen to any of it:

- How many poems should I include: As many as you want to put in there. However bear in mind that a carefully curated collection with a smaller amount of poems in will probably capture a reader more than if you write war and peace filled with oddments. Also bear in mind that the thicker the book, the more your printing costs will be, the more you have to charge for the book to break even.

Cover design - Again. This is your art. I would highly recommend not using a generic royalty free image for your cover. Why? Because you spent all that time writing it, it deserves to have its own flare attached to it.

Of course there’s the option to pay an artist to help you with a cover design. But other sources of cover inspiration could be using your own photographs or asking friends and family if any of them are arty to make one for you.

Remember, this is your art. The cover is part of what you want to say.

Purchase available options to the reader - the most popular choice for self publishing is paper back, and this is generally the most cost effective in terms of printing. Perhaps also consider a kindle version so that you are accessible at all price points.

Other things I’ve learned - Amazon screws you over in terms of profits! Seriously! If I sell a book through the self publishing platform I get around 60% of the book cost. If I sell through Amazon… I get approximately 12p. This is apparently why Jeff Bezos can fly to space and is laughing at us meer mortals.

Just consider that although it’s great having a book on Amazon / Barnes & Noble etc to get it out there etc, it won’t necessarily make much money there.

Lastly- A good friend of mine said to me when I was wondering whether to publish or not “publish because you have something to say, and because you have the right to say it”. And that’s the best advice I can give. Publish for you - not anybody else. Your art will thank you for it.

Best of luck, m’dear. 🙂

Thank you northern soul for your input.

So, I was thinking around 15-20 lyrics per book (not sure if that would be too short though)
I actually know a guy who could probably do the cover art, but not sure what he would charge to do it, plus I have not been in contact in several years with him.
And as far as where to sell, Kindle would be good to start, and maybe on forum sites like this or similar ones. I might try to stay away from Amazon for the fees. Not really looking to make a fortune, just want more exposure to my work mostly.

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 31awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

Songbird83 said:

Thank you northern soul for your input.

So, I was thinking around 15-20 lyrics per book (not sure if that would be too short though)
I actually know a guy who could probably do the cover art, but not sure what he would charge to do it, plus I have not been in contact in several years with him.
And as far as where to sell, Kindle would be good to start, and maybe on forum sites like this or similar ones. I might try to stay away from Amazon for the fees. Not really looking to make a fortune, just want more exposure to my work mostly.

I feel you.

Mostly I published because I’d be doing an event and then someone would come and talk to me and be like “have you got a book?” And finally I could go “yes… yes I have”

Truth is there isn’t a huge amount of money to be made. Like you, I just wanted to put my work out into the world.

I wish you luck with it anyway. Keep us updated!

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2264

Songbird83,
i have a good friend who does graphic design but no idea how much he'd charge You (You two would have to connect and hash it out)
He did my front cover design for a book i WAS gonna publish with Amazon and backed out for lots of reasons.  i have many friends (poets, songwriters, singers and story book writers) who have sent me links for alternatives.  i could dig 'em up if You're interested.

Also,
if You want to contact my friend -- PM me

Songbird83
Steven W.
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 30th Dec 2022

Tallen said:Songbird83,
i have a good friend who does graphic design but no idea how much he'd charge You (You two would have to connect and hash it out)
He did my front cover design for a book i WAS gonna publish with Amazon and backed out for lots of reasons.  i have many friends (poets, songwriters, singers and story book writers) who have sent me links for alternatives.  i could dig 'em up if You're interested.

Sure dude. You can send me some links . Just PM me. Thanks!

ds3371
david spears
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 21st Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 18

I DO MY GRAPHICS, I've been screen printing and doing graphic design for 6 years msg me I'll do it pro Bonoe seeing as I'm going to rehab I'll have plenty of time. I'd be honored if you would look through my portfolio.

Songbird83
Steven W.
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 30th Dec 2022

ds3371 said:I DO MY GRAPHICS, I've been screen printing and doing graphic design for 6 years msg me I'll do it pro Bonoe seeing as I'm going to rehab I'll have plenty of time. I'd be honored if you would look through my portfolio.

Thanks for the offer. I actually have a friend of mine recently reconnected,  working on the illustration.  I'll check out your portfolio

Songbird83
Steven W.
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 30th Dec 2022

Thought I would do a quick update. I have completed the table of contents  and ordered & edited the lyrics for my book. The graphics design is in the hands of an old buddy of mine, so just waiting to see what he comes up with for a cover art.

I can tell you there will be 24 total lyrics in the book, some of which I may have posted here individually already, but if anyone is interested in seeing the table of contents,  I could post it here if I get enough requests.

Also,  what is a good social media for promoting my work? I had Facebook but it's so littered with garbage all over that site, I have stepped away from stuff like that , but feel I may need to get back in it for marketing purposes.

Page:
Go to: