Page:

Improvements

Breedlove
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 25th Apr 2021
Forum Posts: 36

I tend to write about my self, my emotions and my conscious mind.  However, I want to write about different subjects. I just have to say fuck it and pick a topic and go for it. It's quite a daunting thing to think about though.  Do others feel like me? That they want to try new things but just don't know what to write about?  

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Breedlove said:I tend to write about my self, my emotions and my conscious mind.  However, I want to write about different subjects. I just have to say fuck it and pick a topic and go for it. It's quite a daunting thing to think about though.  Do others feel like me? That they want to try new things but just don't know what to write about?  

Well, there's nothing wrong with writing about what interests or thrills you. However, if all of your poems end up reading the same, then that could turn people away from continuing to read your work. I don't think Stephen King would have gotten as popular as he did if he wrote about a rabid cat, a rabid squirrel, a rabid etc,.

Why not imagine you are someone living in another time period and country, and see where it takes you?

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 32awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021
Forum Posts: 5737

An exercise to try to ground you into the moment when it comes to writing.

Note down:
•5 things you can see
•5 things you can smell
•5 things you can touch
•5 things you can taste
•5 emotions that you feel

Then pick one that stands out the most to you. Write descriptively about that thing. What does it look like. What does it smell like. How does it make you feel. What emotions does it trigger.

and before you know it, you’ve already started.

Poetry is a million everyday things, available to us all. Don’t put so much pressure on yourself. 🙂

Breedlove
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 25th Apr 2021

Thank Missy! I ll give it a go!

Breedlove
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 25th Apr 2021

Exactly! I'm to the point now that I'm fell that I'm starting to repeat topics!! So I've need to expand.

senid
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 8th May 2021
Forum Posts: 3

I worry about writing the same poems again and again lol. I tend to write about stuff going on inside myself. Lately I've been thinking I should spend more time editing poems I have written, spending more time with them. Poetry is also therapy for me, so I guess it makes sense that the same topics would keep coming up.

Interesting to think about. I've also tried using my 5 senses when thinking about something from the past. I often get inspiration from reading other poems. I keep an anthology I love near where I write. Sometimes it's just a word, or something sparks a thought. If it's a line or stanza from a poem that inspires me, I include it with the poem.

Interesting to think about thank you!

fiveamtuesday
Thought Provoker
3awards
Joined 11th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 257

you work best when you write about what you know, and I feel the same way. You have to put in real thought and intention to write about topics/styles outside of your comforts.

If you want to improve just challenge yourself to spend like, 10 minutes/30minutes/hour to write a poem based on one other topic.

I've even written a poem about apples just to break myself out of a creative rut. The brain just has to keep writing to improve.

sierraD61
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 13th Mar 2022
Forum Posts: 10

This is so helpful thank you so much, just tried this and I was able to come up with two or three new ideas about new poems. Really appreciate the help

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 32awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

sierraD61 said:This is so helpful thank you so much, just tried this and I was able to come up with two or three new ideas about new poems. Really appreciate the help

🥰🥰

justincoates
Justin Coates
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 21st Feb 2022
Forum Posts: 2

Northern_Soul said:An exercise to try to ground you into the moment when it comes to writing.

Note down:
•5 things you can see
•5 things you can smell
•5 things you can touch
•5 things you can taste
•5 emotions that you feel

Then pick one that stands out the most to you. Write descriptively about that thing. What does it look like. What does it smell like. How does it make you feel. What emotions does it trigger.

and before you know it, you’ve already started.

Poetry is a million everyday things, available to us all. Don’t put so much pressure on yourself. 🙂

Very good advice, I think this is one of the exercises that helps to improve the emotional state, i read about it on this website https://writemypaperbro.com, but I think it will also be useful in this case.

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 32awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

justincoates said:
Very good advice, I think this is one of the exercises that helps to improve the emotional state, but I think it will also be useful in this case.

You’re welcome ☺️

LaBrujaOscura_75
Camilla Beatriz Flores
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 4th June 2022
Forum Posts: 47

Me, I just get something that pops in my head. Sometimes an idea, sometimes something deeper and more. It gets to a point where I just have to write about certain things, so I do. It's like a river or a stream, it flows how it flows, so I let it carry me along on deep, dark waters of inspiration.

Page:
Go to: