anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3367

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bell_Curve

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melanin_theory

compare and contrast these two specific texts. quote your secondary sources.

best student gets a sticker from the sticker sheet

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5601

Do I get the nerd sticker for observing that a bell curve in general , also known as a Gaussian Distribution , is a 3-dimensuonal way of looking at a set of data, plotted on another type of graph, called a Levey-Jennings chart?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laboratory_quality_control

(Sorry-- lab geekery at its finest )  I'll read up in the real topic here to give a more appropriate reply

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

it is one point among many you could utilise in your essay

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013

Ok I'll try this for real now :

It seems to me that the Bell Curve and Melanin theory are getting at the "Nature vs. Nurture" debate, that being :

1. Are we born this way, or
2.  Do our surroundings make us what we are?

It brings to mind, Ira Levin's book "The Boys From Brazil", in which the basic premise was to re-create Hitler through both nature and nuture-- clone him and raise the babies in as similar socio-economic environments as possible, to the real Hitler, then hope you get one success in the experiment pool.

So in the Bell Curve business, is it the nurture/environment part, is what makes us what we are, and in the Melanin theory part , is it the nature/genetic part, that makes us what we are?

Or is it neither, and some other force is at play that creates a divide in us, based on skin color?  Perhaps it's fear--afraid of what isn't the same as you, so it must then be made inferior to keep from harming you in some way.  Maybe it's the devil, still seeking to divide and destroy humanity by turning us against each other, because he's pissed at God for not making him a human, too...

This also begs the question , how do we truly determine skin color?  Example :  albinism.  With albinism , there is a genetic defect where the cells in the body don't produce melanin and the person ends up pigment free or nearly so, like musicians Johnny and Edgar Winter-- they're both albinos.

So then we can ask:  if an albino was not subject to the genetic mutation , then how much melanin would they actually have, not being an albino ?  If we are determining superiority based on degrees of skin color, then where does that fall in the albinism scenario?  If an albino person's family origin was unknown , how would we determine where they fit into the pecking order, when they don't even make melanin to begin with.

Therefore, I personally think we are taught through generations of fears and greeds, to claim superiorities over others and it's more so a matter of nurture over nature

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

you are marked on

style: 20%
use of sources: 10%
strength of questioning: 50%
strength of conclusion: 80%

overall: 40% / B

not bad.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013

anna_grin said:you are marked on

style: 20%
use of sources: 10%
strength of questioning: 50%
strength of conclusion: 80%

overall: 40% / B

not bad.

I'll take a "B"  and apply the " Wisdom of Gordon Erickson" , my 7th grade algebra teacher, which is what I tell my own students now:

Look at the part you did accomplish , not the part you didn't .  An 80% test grade means that you mastered 80% of new material in a week and it's not an excuse to not try for more , next time, but a mechanism to keep your head out of the bad place , that being where you beat yourself up for only getting an 80%.

I'll try for more , next time....

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

exactly, that’s the spirit!

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards