Go to page:

Punctuation Workshop

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2264

Don't feel bad as in the 1960's i was failing math in Hawaii even though i figured out the correct answers -- i just could understand how the antiquated Teachers and their teaching methods and because they didn't understand my answer arriving methods, They failed me.

Can't remember if this was the same for the English language
[/quote]but then again, in them days, my parents hired someone to teach me how to communicate / interact with people.  

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14273

Tallen said:Don't feel bad as in the 1960's i was failing math in Hawaii even though i figured out the correct answers -- i just could understand how the antiquated Teachers and their teaching methods and because they didn't understand my answer arriving methods, They failed me.

Can't remember if this was the same for the English language but then again, in them days, my parents hired someone to teach me how to communicate / interact with people.  

Because they didn't understand how you derived at your correct answer they failed you.

You know, that's really not funny! But a lot of military students suffered those types of situations.

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018

Ahavati said:

Because they didn't understand how you derived at your correct answer they failed you.

You know, that's really not funny! But a lot of military students suffered those types of situations.

it's NOT funny but if i don't train my psychotic self into thinking it is what then?!!

i am a savant with math but i do no understand how everyone else understands the accepted equations and so i resign myself to being in a backdrop of my own desires.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

i have that link saved and will watch it sometime this year.
Will i be needing a clean towel?

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

It was our sense of humor that saved us from that very life, Tallen.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

even this thought causes me to weep
because HOW many young men and women have grown up
misunderstood..................

OK, time for me to go off line

see You in the wee hrs of someone's morning  

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Layla said:Ahavati, Egyptian arabic is considered the most sophisticated and the most eloquent, that's why most of the movies, books are spoken/written in the egyptian format, its the equivelant of the British english, where T or the R is pronounced and empashized.  Saudi or jordanian is more traditional while Lebanese is more relaxed and easier on the ear because of its French influence (it was owned and governed by france till the '60s) and also because its the only christian arab country so the dialect is not as restricted as islam counterparts.
I'm not sure which year you visited your aunt, but Wisconsin (Milwaukee) has been expanding with arab immigrants they have so many grocery stores, a mosque and a school up to 8th grade teaching arabic and religion (located by the airport area, around 13th street) but the biggest community is in Michigan.  I remember the first time i was there, exiting along Ford road, i was in awe of a street full of churches and a mosque, all kinds on one row, if one wanted to visit some of the major religions of the world in one afternoon of walking block they gotta go there :))

Sorry I missed this earlier, Layla.  My aunt and uncle lived in Elton.  They were the operators of Camp Blackhawk for 25 years ( I believe ), the biggest girl scout camp in the US at the time.  It was on 500 acres of land, had two full lakes, and a Native American burial ground.  They were very liberal,  inclusive of everyone.  She used to take me shopping and EVERYONE would want to hear me say Well, hell ( because in the south it's pronounced, Whale Hayle ).  

That seemed to be their weekly entertainment in a small town.  I did fly in and out from Milwaukee, though I barely remember driving through it.

Okay, everyone, if we're done here, we're going to move onto the comma tomorrow!

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

LOL! Nooooooo!  I did not mean it that way!  I was making sure no one had anything else to add before moving on.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Brief Origin of the Modern Comma

According to author Keith Houston, an authority on the history of punctuation, the “punctuational big bang”  ( from his book, Shady Characters ) refers to Aldus Manutius and his grandson’s revolution of punctuation during the establishment of printing in the 15th century.  As mentioned in previous section regarding the history of punctuation, many famous scholars and writers adopted this new method, thus encouraging the systematic use of English punctuation throughout the 16th & 17th centuries.

Use of the Comma

Commas are a very versatile punctuation mark, and are used to separate the elements of a sentence, connect independent clauses, and avoid confusion, just to name a few.

Separating Sentence Elements with Commas

In sentences that contain varying elements, commas provide clarity. Use commas to separate elements of a series of three or more things, particularly the last two.

“[N]omoth finished his yard-work, hopped on the computer, and began to write.”

Notation: The Oxford comma, also known as the serial, or Harvard comma, is a comma used after the penultimate item in a list of three or more items, before ‘and’ or ‘or’ (e.g. finished his yard-work, hopped on the computer, ‘and ‘ began to write ).  Its name originated at Oxford University Press, and was traditionally used by printers, readers, and editors.  While many have been taught the Oxford comma isn’t necessary, there are examples where placing it before “and” will help prevent confusion, particularly when a series of words includes terms that glom together.

Using Commas and Conjunctions to Connect Sentences ( Independent Clauses )

Conjunctions are words such as and, for, nor, but, yet, and so. Commas are always used BEFORE the conjunction in a sentence:

Correct usage: “Layla's friend is a ghostwriter, but hopes to publish as herself one day.”

Incorrect usage:  “Layla's friend is a ghostwriter but, hopes to publish as herself one day.”

Setting Off a Sentence’s Introductory Element with a comma

Though not every sentence requires it, it’s never incorrect to insert a comma after a sentence’s introductory elements to reduce confusion. If in doubt, punctuate!

While she had learned it wasn’t always necessary to insert a comma after a sentence’s introductory elements, Sky_dancer recently discovered it was an acceptable practice.

Using Commas to Accentuate Parenthetical Elements

Parenthetical elements are typically used to provide additional information to get a point across. This information isn’t really necessary for getting that point across; however, it will increase a sentence’s value; therefore, is worth including.

Deep Underground Poetry, established in 2009, is known by _shadoe_  as the best poetry site on the web.

This example provides the reader with a sense of context as to the long-term establishment of the poetry site, and how that long term has generated such popularity.

When listing locations, such as cities, states, and nations, treat the middle element as parenthetical.

We vacationed in Tennessee, USA, to visit butters last spring.

America’s Yellowstone National Park, located in Wyoming, is a destination everyone should visit at least once.

Notations:  

1. This rule no longer applies when the state or nation takes on a possessive form.
   • Raleigh, North Carolina’s capital is a well-known part of a triad.

2.  When the location’s name is compounded, the second comma is dropped.
   • Cherokee, a North Carolina-based Native American Indian Reservation, is a popular tourist attraction.

Quoted Elements

Commas generally separate quoted material from the rest of the sentence.  

“The question is,” said Tallen, “is it possible to love both blueberry and cherry cheesecake equally?”

In contemplating his reply, JohnnyBlaze answered, “It is possible to love all fud equally.”

There are quite a few common comma mistakes often made; however, rather than list them extensively, I’ll post the below reference link and allow you to read those at your leisure.

https://www.gingersoftware.com/content/6-common-comma-usage-mistakes/

Additional sources:

https://qz.com/530350/the-origins-of-ellipses-commas-and-other-punctuation-marks/

https://www.gingersoftware.com/content/6-common-comma-usage-mistakes/

https://www.thepunctuationguide.com/british-versus-american-style.html

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

Ahavati said:

Separating Sentence Elements with Commas

In sentences that contain varying elements, commas provide clarity. Use commas to separate elements of a series of three or more things, particularly the last two.

“[N]omoth finished his yard-work, hopped on the computer, and began to write.”

Notation: The Oxford comma, also known as the serial, or Harvard comma, is a comma used after the penultimate item in a list of three or more items, before ‘and’ or ‘or’ (e.g. finished his yard-work, hopped on the computer, ‘and ‘ began to write ).  Its name originated at Oxford University Press, and was traditionally used by printers, readers, and editors.  While many have been taught the Oxford comma isn’t necessary, there are examples where placing it before “and” will help prevent confusion, particularly when a series of words includes terms that glom together.

* breathes a sigh of relief *

Never was taught the Oxford comma or the necessity of such; I'm glad hear that it is optional. I can see point in using it - just not in rattling of a list of items that can be grouped together.

John, Paul, George and Ringo were known as the Beatles.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

JohnnyBlaze said:

* breathes a sigh of relief *

Never was taught the Oxford comma or the necessity of such; I'm glad hear that it is optional. I can see point in using it - just not in rattling of a list of items that can be grouped together.

John, Paul, George and Ringo were known as the Beatles.

Unless you’re writing for a school assignment or particular publication ( typically not required in journalism ), use of the Oxford comma is generally up to you. However, omitting it can  cause some strange misunderstandings. . .

I love my parents, Lady Gaga and Humpty Dumpty.

Die-hard Oxford comma opponents claim you can solve unclear sentences by rearranging them.

I love Lady Gaga, Humpty Dumpty and my parents.

I myself worship the Oxford comma.  * swoon *

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

Ahavati said:

Unless you’re writing for a school assignment or particular publication ( typically not required in journalism ), use of the Oxford comma is generally up to you. However, omitting it can  cause some strange misunderstandings. . .

I love my parents, Lady Gaga and Humpty Dumpty.

Die-hard Oxford comma opponents claim you can solve unclear sentences by rearranging them.

I love Lady Gaga, Humpty Dumpty and my parents.

I myself worship the Oxford comma.  * swoon *

Now see, both look fine to my brain because they each belong to a single group of things or people you love.

Go to page:
Go to: