We go *to* the zoo to find the mailbox

May seem silly but I know you will have a grammatically correct answer for me
Thanks

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14574

Hi, Val; no question is silly, particularly one of this nature. To determine the answer, one would first need to evaluate the prepositions 'to' and 'of'.  'Of' is expressing the relationship between a part and a whole, While 'to' expresses motion in the direction of (a particular location ).

There is a mailbox at the entrance of the zoo is a general statement expressing the relationship between the mailbox ( the part ) at the entrance ( the whole ). . .

Your example is not expressing motion toward, but a general relationship between the mailbox and the zoo's entrance. Therefore, of would be correct in this instance.

Valeriyabeyond said:Hello,
My first visit here and I have a question

There is a mailbox at the entrance  *of *  
the zoo

There is a mailbox at the entrance  *to*
the zoo

Which is correct?

I understand we are speaking of the zoo and of the mailbox
But we are also speaking of the location of the mailbox which is at the zoo
We go *to* the zoo to find the mailbox

May seem silly but I know you will have a grammatically correct answer for me
Thanks

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

I must say that both are correct.

Of; the entrance is of the zoo, it is a part of the whole zoo.

To: entrances, you enter .
To discern which entrance, you can say
The entrance that goes to the zoo, or for short...

Valeriyabeyond
Dhyana
Dangerous Mind
3awards
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 2668

Ahavati said:Hi, Val; no question is silly, particularly one of this nature. To determine the answer, one would first need to evaluate the prepositions 'to' and 'of'.  'Of' is expressing the relationship between a part and a whole, While 'to' expresses motion in the direction of (a particular location ).

There is a mailbox at the entrance of the zoo is a general statement expressing the relationship between the mailbox ( the part ) at the entrance ( the whole ). . .

Your example is not expressing motion toward, but a general relationship between the mailbox and the zoo's entrance. Therefore, of would be correct in this instance.

Perfect answer thank you
I was thinking along the same lines as rabbiquest but your explanation nailed it thanks

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

rabbitquest said:I must say that both are correct.

Of; the entrance is of the zoo, it is a part of the whole zoo.

To: entrances, you enter .
To discern which entrance, you can say
The entrance that goes to the zoo, or for short...

It's easy to get lost in, that's for certain. However, in Val's example the 'mailbox', not 'entrance or zoo', is the subject. The mailbox sits at the entrance of; the entrance is to the zoo, the lions are in the zoo, et al. That being said, I don't think anyone is going to dispute either/or in this case ( or many cases, for that matter ).

Valeriyabeyond said:

Perfect answer thank you
I was thinking along the same lines as rabbiquest but your explanation nailed it thanks

You're welcome.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Technically, neither are correct, because this is the Punctuation Workshop.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

JohnnyBlaze said:Technically, neither are correct, because this is the Punctuation Workshop.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Ahavati said:

If it is a time traveling mailbox at the entrance of a lake house, it may lead to the Past while simultaneously being of the Future.

Why Keanu and Sandra never thought to cut the back off that darn thing and stick their hands in at the same time so they could have a Thumb War is beyond me.

Valeriyabeyond
Dhyana
Dangerous Mind
3awards
Joined 3rd May 2020

JohnnyBlaze said:

If it is a time traveling mailbox at the entrance of a lake house, it may lead to the Past while simultaneously being of the Future.

Why Keanu and Sandra never thought to cut the back off that darn thing and stick their hands in at the same time so they could have a Thumb War is beyond me.

Silliness
I have to say Ahavati answer to my question was so spot on precise that when I go back and read my question the answer is obvious something I did not see before asking the question
You can move words around change the subject and get whatever answer you desire but the fact remains the answer that Ahavati gave was correct
Period
I do t know why I tagged you John hnny I do that often for some weird reason

Anyway to Ahavati then,
Thanks for the answer outside of punctuation your description to the structure of the statement was perfect resulting in a kick ass answer

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Valeriyabeyond
Dhyana
Dangerous Mind
3awards
Joined 3rd May 2020

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

Haha
Ahavati's Guide To Punctuation

poet Anonymous

I know that this is not punctuation but was stuck on where to put this without starting a new thread.

Found it interesting though I do not know the source. I took it from a meme.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

nomoth said:I know that this is not punctuation but was stuck on where to put this without starting a new thread.

Found it interesting though I do not know the source. I took it from a meme.

LOL @ 'green great dragons'!

Thanks for sharing.

Go to page:
Go to: