Go to page:

Punctuation Workshop

poet Anonymous

Sorry for not posting back here recently. Just wanted to re iterate how grateful I am for this course and do feel much more aware and conscious of the 'life' of punctuation in writing. have enjoyed it immensely and have read everything though not had time to comment or reply. Thanks A. cant wait for you get back to this in time. I am sure there is so so much more to explore.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14587

nomoth said:Sorry for not posting back here recently. Just wanted to re iterate how grateful I am for this course and do feel much more aware and conscious of the 'life' of punctuation in writing. have enjoyed it immensely and have read everything though not had time to comment or reply. Thanks A. cant wait for you get back to this in time. I am sure there is so so much more to explore.

I'm sorry for missing this earlier, nomoth. Thank you, and no worries!  We'll pick her back up after our post-NaPo vacation!

masondillon
Mason Dillon
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 1st Apr 2020
Forum Posts: 1

Hello, I would like to thank you for sharing this interesting information. The information provided here will be useful for my essaysprofessors.com sample task.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

masondillon said:Hello, I would like to thank you for sharing this interesting information. The information provided here will be useful for my essaysprofessors.com sample task.

Thank you, Mason! Glad it could help!

elsiesan
Fire of Insight
United States
Joined 21st Apr 2019
Forum Posts: 122

Liked the Shatner one. Just like he talks.

Candor
Strange Creature
Ireland
Joined 5th Apr 2020
Forum Posts: 1

I love this thread, I’m guilty of excessive comma use. I’m also a little afraid to type anything now xD

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Candor said:I love this thread, I’m guilty of excessive comma use. I’m also a little afraid to type anything now xD

LOL! Please don't be! The purpose of poetry is to break the rules once you've learned them.

poet Anonymous

Ahavati said:

LOL! Please don't be! The purpose of poetry is to break the rules once you've learned them.

I never learn’t the rules properly it’s why I don’t bother with punctuation at all

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Commentonly said:

I never learn’t the rules properly it’s why I don’t bother with punctuation at all

Well, that too!

AnonymousBystander
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 28th Sep 2018
Forum Posts: 226

This is an interesting piece ... https://www.deviantart.com/lamonaca/art/Punctuating-Poetry-Part-One-103788331 it is an analysis of a number of poems and their shortcomings with regard to punctuation.  Very useful.  (Comments anyone?)

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

I'll have a looksee when I can, AB. I am still up to my eyes in design right now; however,  I will hopefully be seeing daylight by this evening.  

poet Anonymous

AnonymousBystander said:This is an interesting piece ... https://www.deviantart.com/lamonaca/art/Punctuating-Poetry-Part-One-103788331 it is an analysis of a number of poems and their shortcomings with regard to punctuation.  Very useful.  (Comments anyone?)

started reading it AB. super interesting and thanks for posting it.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

I finally got a chance to read this, and actually read it years ago ( I've been on DU for about 16 years, though not active ).  I agree with her premise that real writing doesn't begin until you stop writing from instinct and start making decisions, though I think I remember there being a pretty big debate about that in one of the lit groups at the time.

She and I also agree in regards to how important it is to know the rules in order to break them effectively.  

It's the same premise as painting; if you don't know how to prep your canvas, it doesn't matter how beautiful the work is; it won't stand up over time. Just look at some of Rothko's. . .but I digress.

Yeah, I remember her, and always admired her.

And guys we will eventually pick this workshop back up; I'm just trying to wrap up NaPo and rest a bit.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Bumpety bump bump for our Classic Corner Compers who need refreshments with the basics!

No, that doesn't mean drinks are being served with your commas or your semicolons are receiving coffee enemas!  

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Go to page:
Go to: